As Rome continues to Burn

Obama cracks joke on Special Olympics on Leno

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this was an intentional shot (just another gaffe by the great orator), and really not even very offensive, but then I don't have a child in the Special Olympics.

I do however think that by cracking jokes on the mentally challenged, Obama risks alienating another of his core constituencies.

Jindal or Romney 2012 looking easier all the time

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this was an intentional shot (just another gaffe by the great orator), and really not even very offensive, but then I don't have a child in the Special Olympics.

I do however think that by cracking jokes on the mentally challenged, Obama risks alienating another of his core constituencies.

Well played sir..Well played...

I caught that little gaffe last night too. Not sure what, if any, kind of response he will get from those who have mentally challenged children. He may get a pass on it since nothing has been mentioned yet.

I also don't agree that it was an intentional slam but just reinforces why he should never speak without his teleprompter.

I do felt he got way too comfortable and made a joke that he would make if him and Leno were kickin it on the back porch drinking some beers. It was a very "unpresidential" moment. Eventually it won't cost him anything. It will just give the other side an opportunity to get payback over the faux outrage expressed over the New York Post dead monkey cartoon, by having a fit of faux outrage themselves. None of this will be relavent in 4 years (or even 4 weeks).

You know you are a good president when this is all your haters can come up with lol. Look at the little repubs they are getting a stiffy over this already three topics on it this morning. Waiting for snake to come post a thread about this same thing with his signature green emoticon lol.

Don't you know he'd love to have that one back. Good thing he didn't say "I bowl like a nappy headed ho". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anansi, Anansi, Anansi... There is a lot more that can be said about your "good president" but let's take one thing at a time so that we can savor each little morsel for what it is.

The guy made a huge PC gaffe. The PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES slammed the mentally challenged! That's just some tasty stuff right there. Guarantee that if it had been Bush or McCain or Jindal you guys would be jumping all over it and using it as evidence of just how far out of touch the right wing is.

His politics since taking office have been laughable and challenged by many on these boards so don't say this all that can be brought up. By like everything else, you guys give the Great One a pass on everything that he does.

The great one? LOL it just stings that so many people love a president not named Ronald Reagan doesn't it? I really wouldn't care if it was Jindal, McCain, or President Bush that made the statement I would of just shook my head and said the same thing I said when President Obama said it, "that's jacked up" and I would of kept it moving. But then again I don't have anything personal against Jindal or McCain, (I didn't have anything personal against Bush either until his lies caused some of my family two tours of duty in Iraq but that's a different story).

You know you are a good president when this is all your haters can come up with lol. Look at the little repubs they are getting a stiffy over this already three topics on it this morning. Waiting for snake to come post a thread about this same thing with his signature green emoticon lol.

Take a lesson in how to take a freaking joke

Don't you know he'd love to have that one back. Good thing he didn't say "I bowl like a nappy headed ho". :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is plenty for we "haters" to get upset about with this guy's performance, but most of us have been exceedingly respectful of the office. I think what knows no bound his your willingness to homer for and defend his honor, even when the need is not there.

No video. Here is some transcript from the link.

Toward the end of the interview on Thursday, Obama told host Jay Leno he's been practicing at the White House's bowling alley but wasn't happy with his score of 129.

Leno complimented Obama on the score, but the president quipped, "It was like the Special Olympics or something," which prompted laughter from the audience.

The audience was laughing at everything. So that is not a good measure of if the statement was appropriate for the POTUS or not.

I knew he shouldn't have picked Biden as his VP. I think it rubbed off in that instance.

Still, funny though. :D

At least he wasn't lying:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

This just in:

Obama Apologizes For Special Olympics Joke, Wants Athletes To Help Him Improve Bowling Score

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama has apologized to the chairman of the Special Olympics for his late-night talk show quip equating his bowling skills to those of athletes with disabilities.

Appearing on "The Tonight Show" Thursday, the president told host Jay Leno he'd been practicing at the White House's bowling alley but wasn't happy with his score of 129. Then he remarked: "It was like the Special Olympics or something."

The audience laughed, but the White House quickly recognized the blunder. The Special Olympics is a non-profit organization dedicated to individuals with mental and physical disabilities.

On his way back to Washington on Air Force One, Obama called the chairman of the Special Olympics, Tim Shriver, to say he was sorry -- even before the taped program aired late Thursday night.

"He expressed his disappointment and he apologized in a way that was very moving. He expressed that he did not intend to humiliate this population," Shriver said Friday on ABC's Good Morning America. "He, I think importantly, said he was ready to have some of our athletes over to the White House to bowl or to play basketball, or help him improve his score."

There is plenty for we "haters" to get upset about with this guy's performance, but most of us have been exceedingly respectful of the office. I think what knows no bound his your willingness to homer for and defend his honor, even when the need is not there.

Sorry Bob, I was trying to be funny, not defend his honor. I will admit ot my homerism however...to a degree.