Trading down from #24; 7-13 slots - What is the least amount of compensation you would settle for?

When I go through my potential mocks, I can't help but think that we are slotted in an area of the draft where with so many needs on the defensive side of the ball, we could get simlar value at #34 as we could at #24 and still get a player that can help us and contribute immediately.

We all run to the draft chart to see what else we could secure by trading down, but to what extent would you not look for equal value in draft pick return if you knew you could get virtually the same player by trading down. Would you even require a pick in the 2009 draft and have a forward looking eye on 2010?

Agree with the 2nd and 3rd at least but I am also a fan of getting a 2010 1st round pick as the 2010 class is really strong.. And if it was with one of the bad teams low in the draft and they propably won't succeed this year then we could maybe have a high pick to get Taylor Mays or Eric Berry ;)

I've never really like the term "trade down" because teams don't really trade down, other teams trade up. I know that seems to be the same thing, but let me try to explain.

For any team to "move down" in the draft, another team has to contact them about trading up. In other words, there would have to be a player so valuable to a team that they will be willing to make the deal. If we offer up our pick and initiate the trade, we will look like the more desparate team and lose leverage, thus not allowing us to receive fair compensation.

Would I love to "move down" to the early 2nd and pick up an extra 3rd while doing so? Absolutely. TheDirtyWord is correct, there is similar quality players in this part of the draft. The thing is, there is almost always similar players and is why those teams sitting at these spots will be less likely to trade out of them.

The talent being so similar is also why I never like to view the draft in terms of rounds. But rather, slots: the top 5-10 picks are usually the elite, star talents; picks 11 - 20 are quality starters from day one; from the mid 20s to the mid 30s, very good starters and the occassional stud; and so on and so on.

My point is (finally :P ) - since the talent is virtually the same, there is more value with the later pick since it will cost less to sign. Other teams know this. And since we really need another team to come to us about the trade, a trade is doubtful unless someone drops or some team simply falls in love with a player.

It is really the only scenario where I would feel comfortable getting a higher TE. But it really depends on how much of a slide. In general I am not sure I would want to trade for a pick next year HOWEVER, if there is no cba that 2010 pick would become crazy valuable. The FA market will be decimated by the 6 year elgibility and 2 additional franchise tags per team plus if we make it to the top 8 we won't be allowed to participate in FA at all.

I've never really like the term "trade down" because teams don't really trade down, other teams trade up. I know that seems to be the same thing, but let me try to explain.

For any team to "move down" in the draft, another team has to contact them about trading up. In other words, there would have to be a player so valuable to a team that they will be willing to make the deal. If we offer up our pick and initiate the trade, we will look like the more desparate team and lose leverage, thus not allowing us to receive fair compensation.

Would I love to "move down" to the early 2nd and pick up an extra 3rd while doing so? Absolutely. TheDirtyWord is correct, there is similar quality players in this part of the draft. The thing is, there is almost always similar players and is why those teams sitting at these spots will be less likely to trade out of them.

The talent being so similar is also why I never like to view the draft in terms of rounds. But rather, slots: the top 5-10 picks are usually the elite, star talents; picks 11 - 20 are quality starters from day one; from the mid 20s to the mid 30s, very good starters and the occassional stud; and so on and so on.

My point is (finally :P ) - since the talent is virtually the same, there is more value with the later pick since it will cost less to sign. Other teams know this. And since we really need another team to come to us about the trade, a trade is doubtful unless someone drops or some team simply falls in love with a player.

So then a team in this range calls you up with an offer. What do you accept versus what don't you accept? What's the 'line in the sand'?

So then a team in this range calls you up with an offer. What do you accept versus what don't you accept? What's the 'line in the sand'?

Fair enough.

Like everyone here is saying - a 2nd and 3rd this year or a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. Of course, I'd take more if offered :P .

Anything less than that, and they can go pound sand.

I woulod only focus on pics next year,like you said only desperate teams would be intrested teams wanting to rebuild quickly. teams that want guys like pettigrew or mathew's,laurinitus, and some others.for us not to take those guys we are are losing out in that situation,and thus we will get the most compensation.If those guys are gone other teams know value also they will be looking to trade down b/c they're guys not their.meaning we wont have the option.so what happens then?in that situation your guy is not available so you take the best player available.who knows could be a WR at that point, could be annything.i hope a team will call us for a deal but at 24 how many teams will want that spot when they will likely have a high second. i hope we can pull it off just hard to see right now.

Agree with the 2nd and 3rd at least but I am also a fan of getting a 2010 1st round pick as the 2010 class is really strong.. And if it was with one of the bad teams low in the draft and they propably won't succeed this year then we could maybe have a high pick to get Taylor Mays or Eric Berry ;)

Even if we got a 2nd next year and it was high enough we could package them and move up to get one of those guys. I know it's just wishful thinking though.

I woulod only focus on pics next year,like you said only desperate teams would be intrested teams wanting to rebuild quickly. teams that want guys like pettigrew or mathew's,laurinitus, and some others.for us not to take those guys we are are losing out in that situation,and thus we will get the most compensation.If those guys are gone other teams know value also they will be looking to trade down b/c they're guys not their.meaning we wont have the option.so what happens then?in that situation your guy is not available so you take the best player available.who knows could be a WR at that point, could be annything.i hope a team will call us for a deal but at 24 how many teams will want that spot when they will likely have a high second. i hope we can pull it off just hard to see right now.

If someone falls at a position that we don't need, say a WR and the Dolphins who pick after us would most likely take him. A team might want to move up to jump the fins. That would be the best scenario for us. Maybe KC? Kinda how we did last year to get Baker. There is so many ways this draft could go for us. We'll just have to wait and see and I have no patience.

When I go through my potential mocks, I can't help but think that we are slotted in an area of the draft where with so many needs on the defensive side of the ball, we could get simlar value at #34 as we could at #24 and still get a player that can help us and contribute immediately.

We all run to the draft chart to see what else we could secure by trading down, but to what extent would you not look for equal value in draft pick return if you knew you could get virtually the same player by trading down. Would you even require a pick in the 2009 draft and have a forward looking eye on 2010?

we already start picking late, why go later to get lesser players, we are already in peril.

Trading down when your earliest pick is this late is just plain dumb.

we already start picking late, why go later to get lesser players, we are already in peril.

<_< .................And why is that exactly? How are these players "lesser"?

Oh, that's right.... Another MJ mancrush. Dont worry, he'll be there in the second round with the other 'lesser" players.

I wouldn't call that lesser value. There's more value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year than it is in the 1st.

YOu do realize that there is a good possiblity that we will not get a starter out of our 1st round pick, unless it is at TE, but there is still a chance that BP wont start either.