Espn Blogger Pat Yasinskas answer Falcon question

atljbo

H.E. in Chattanooga writes: Pat, I've really enjoyed your coverage of the NFC South. But being a Falcons fan, my only concern is with their defense. In early mock drafts, people have predicted the Falcons going after the Utah Safety Smith. Now they are predicting the Falcons going after the Georgia Tech DE Johnson. What are your predictions and what do you think of the aforementioned options? Thanks!

Pat Yasinskas: With the Falcons sitting at No. 24, it's hard to make an exact prediction right now. But I agree there are needs at safety and in the pass rush. I subscribe to the theory that you don't take a safety in the first round (unless it's somebody really special and you have a top 10 pick). I think the Falcons can wait on this need. I definitely could see them going for a defensive end, like Georgia Tech's Michael Johnson. They don't have much of a pass rush besides John Abraham and Johnson would be a popular pick in Atlanta. Also, don't rule out an outside linebacker, such as Southern California's Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews.

The Michael Johnson express is picking up steam

he wouldnt be bad but i think ayers will be just as good and can be picked in the 2nd

Dude Ayers will not be there at our pick in the 2nd round........ If Ayers dont go late 1st round i can se him going early 2nd round

... I would not be surprise if Detriot took him with the 20th pick..... The Lions would have Cliff Avril and Robert Ayers as their starting DE's..... Thats a nice combo

If Clay Matthews, Michael Johnson, and Brian Cushing are all on the board, MJ better not be the pick. That would be an epic mistake.

it's a gamble with either one of these guys eagle. Clay is a one year wonder, cushing is injury prone(maybe he's on steroids), and mj has top measureable without the consistency to go along with it. YOU CAN'T WIN THEM ALL..just do what you think is best for the team.

it's a gamble with either one of these guys eagle. Clay is a one year wonder, cushing is injury prone(maybe he's on steroids), and mj has top measureable without the consistency to go along with it. YOU CAN'T WIN THEM ALL..just do what you think is best for the team.

i agree...... plus.... Not only the injuries but Cushing did not play 3rd downs at USC

The3 most important positions in football...... Quarterback, Left Tackle, and a Pass rushing DE

Every team with 2 pass rushing DEs are good teams..... I feel like when you are picking in the 20's no pick is guarenteed but i do feel like Michael Johnson would be a Elite DE one day........ Im not just going by his measurible... His measurible will help him become a already Elite DE because he has the size to become a guy that can stop the run...... When i say Elite michael johnson does not just have the speed but dude first step is the quickest ive seen...... Michael Johnson just needs a good D-Line Coach and strength and conditioning coach....... I like the fact that Michael Johnson is training with Chuck Smith..... Chuck said allot of good things about Michael Johnson on the radio.

Michael Johnson did 28 reps of 225lbs at the combine and dude has long arms (34 3/8")..... Michael Johnson has to build up his lower body strength.

Michael Johnson at the combine

one more thing... we could have a pass rushing DE for around 5 five-year, $12 million contract,$7 million guaranteed (the 24th pick last year..Chris Johnson contract)... That equals 2.4 million a year for 5 years....... I really want Michael Johnson with the 24th pick

one more thing... we could have a pass rushing DE for around 5 five-year, $12 million contract,$7 million guaranteed (the 24th pick last year..Chris Johnson contract)... That equals 2.4 million a year for 5 years....... I really want Michael Johnson with the 24th pick

I want him or English. If Jerry is still there I'd take him first though but he'll be gone most likely. I might start spreading rumors about him so he'll drop. lol.

ok if it happens pray jamaal improves some then we would have jammal and michael a potential good tandem for many years, that could work remember that td and smith havent gave up on him yet and his rookie year under petrino blahhh so last year was jammals rookie year pretty much because petrino stinks