Sean Jones...

falcflow

Van Gorder had his best seasons as a D-Cordinator with Thomas Davis and Sean Jones in the secondary (along with some studs on the d-line and linebacking core). Anyways, from watching UGA football for over a decade, I always thought they had a good relationship, and Sean is the perfect character guy off the field as well for the Falcons, I remember reading a story about him buying a bunch of christmas presents for inner city kids and giving them to the moms to wrap and put under the tree. He also knows VG's system like the back of his hand, similar to Davis. So my confusion is why haven't we even brought him into talk, when we need a S more than any other postiion in my opinion? This leads me to believe we will draft one with our 1st or 2nd pick, what do ya'll think?

Van Gorder had his best seasons as a D-Cordinator with Thomas Davis and Sean Jones in the secondary (along with some studs on the d-line and linebacking core). Anyways, from watching UGA football for over a decade, I always thought they had a good relationship, and Sean is the perfect character guy off the field as well for the Falcons, I remember reading a story about him buying a bunch of christmas presents for inner city kids and giving them to the moms to wrap and put under the tree. He also knows VG's system like the back of his hand, similar to Davis. So my confusion is why haven't we even brought him into talk, when we need a S more than any other postiion in my opinion? This leads me to believe we will draft one with our 1st or 2nd pick, what do ya'll think?

If he's not here he must not fit our defensive scheme.

This isn't really Van Gorder's system. It's Mike Smith's. This is a different defense than they ran down there and I also think they have faith in Coleman at SS and Decoud at FS. They might have been worried about Sean's injuries too. I know I was.

he runs a cover 2, sean jones is the prototypical cover 2 safety...he fits it like a glove, its not the system trust me...

Injury whatever it is, he sat on the market for nearly 2 weeks before he signed a 1 year deal with the Eagles. It must have been a reason why he wasn't highly coveted.

maybe BVG knows more about him than we know.... like his weaknesses too

I think he might too, what I dont get though is that Sean Jones is a proven vet in this league, that has showed he can consistently play at a high level, and from what I hear could come relatively cheap, and he fits the system. Yet we seem like we would rather go with an unproven, hit or miss draft pick to start at safety this year next to coleman, unless DeCoud is the next coming like I think he might be, but we'd have to move Coleman to SS which I dont have a problem with at all...

Injury whatever it is, he sat on the market for nearly 2 weeks before he signed a 1 year deal with the Eagles. It must have been a reason why he wasn't highly coveted.

i didnt know he signed with philly, thanks for the update falconmamma i guess this post becomes kind of irrelevant than, i still think we should have at least talked with him, especially since he came fairly cheap...JMO

If your not Ed Reed or Troy Palamalou teams are not as eagar to throw money @ the safety position. Thats why guys who play corner get their feelings hurt when they are told they need to play safety. You honestly cant get just anyone to play safety, BUT you can get anyone to play safety.....lol