Woman Returns $80,000 To Buckhead Bar

Vicious

Link

ATLANTA -- When Deanna Hamilton stopped in for a glass of wine at East Andrews Bar in Buckhead earlier this month, she was surprised to be richer as a result.When a bartender rung up the wrong amount on her debit card, he accidentally credited back $80,000 to her account instead of $8. She immediately contacted the bar when she discovered the extra money in her bank account.As a thank you for being an honest customer, the bar is holding a thank you party Friday, for Deanna and 100 of her friends."I logged into my account and saw $80,000 had just been deposited," said East Andrews customer Deanna Hamilton. "I thought my computer was playing tricks on me, so I logged off and relogged into my bank account on another computer. When I still saw the deposit, I thought I’d won a drawing or something, but then I scrolled down and saw the money was from East Andrews. Then I knew it was some kind of error, so I called to report it.""We are sincerely grateful to Deanna for reporting the accounting error, which is why we’re thanking her with a party in her honor," said East Andrews President Steve de Haan.

As much as I want to give her credit for doing right thing.. At the end of the day I'll just give her credit for being smart enough to realize she really didn't have a choice. It wasn't like she found 80k in cash sitting by a bar stool...

I don't think they could of done anything because it was their f*ck up and not hers.

They could have informed her when they caught it. She has a responsibility to report that type of stuff, and if she went out on a spending spree I beleive a court could order her to repay it. Not sure though, but I doubt it is like monopoly where the bank error actually works.

Anyone ever actually gotten a bank error in their favor?

They could have informed her when they caught it. She has a responsibility to report that type of stuff, and if she went out on a spending spree I beleive a court could order her to repay it. Not sure though, but I doubt it is like monopoly where the bank error actually works.

Yes. And if you spend the money without reporting it you will be forced to repay it or face criminal charges. Like I said she really had no choice. So them throwing a party is actually a net plus for her...

If they didn't call her, she spends it, it wouldn't be her fault and it was theirs correct?

She did the right thing, by acting first, which is nice to see. I've had two banking errors both involving ATM's, the worst example was an ATM that was spitting out 2 extra $20's for every $40's taken out, so if you took out $40 you got $80. I called the bank and because it was after work hours on a Saturday they told me not to worry about. I was willing to wait by the ATM until a tech or bank rep showed up to turn it off and they told me not to worry about it. The second was an ATM that wasn't debiting accounts with the withdrawals, it simply spit the money out without any transfers taking place. That machine I did get fixed since the bank had just closed.

She did the right thing, by acting first, which is nice to see. I've had two banking errors both involving ATM's, the worst example was an ATM that was spitting out 2 extra $20's for every $40's taken out, so if you took out $40 you got $80. I called the bank and because it was after work hours on a Saturday they told me not to worry about. I was willing to wait by the ATM until a tech or bank rep showed up to turn it off and they told me not to worry about it. The second was an ATM that wasn't debiting accounts with the withdrawals, it simply spit the money out without any transfers taking place. That machine I did get fixed since the bank had just closed.

That is very upstanding of you. I don't know whether I would have the restraint to act similarly.

Yes. And if you spend the money without reporting it you will be forced to repay it or face criminal charges. Like I said she really had no choice. So them throwing a party is actually a net plus for her...

I don't have a problem throwing a party for someone that showed honesty. It would have been a true hassle to get this money back and the woman saved them all a great deal of time and money. Not to mention it's free press for the bar.

If the woman didn't know about the money, they never called her for weeks, would it still be her fault or theirs?

It's not her fault, but it's also not her money.

If the woman didn't know about the money, they never called her for weeks, would it still be her fault or theirs?

I imagine if it were a trivial amount compared to her balance then she could argue an honest mistake. 80K is a different story though. A reasonable person notices that much extra money.

And a reasonable person is expected to report the error.

I had to convince my bank that they credited me with 4000+ dollars in error once. When I called them to let them know about the error they sounded skeptical and said "they would look into it"....then the next day they called me and acted like I never reported it to them in the first place. Long story short, don't ever spend money that you know does not belong to you as you will have to pay it back.

I had to convince my bank that they credited me with 4000+ dollars in error once. When I called them to let them know about the error they sounded skeptical and said "they would look into it"....then the next day they called me and acted like I never reported it to them in the first place. Long story short, don't ever spend money that you know does not belong to you as you will have to pay it back.

Anything in small amounts like that they really are weird about.. $80K is too much to not go unnoticed.

..and you'd be in jail before you made it to Canada... and why should there be a reward for something that was transfered into your account by mistake.. it's not like she FOUND $80K.

She did found the 80k, in her bank account. I would of wanted a really good reward and not some 1 time party...screw that.