My case for Brandon Pettigrew

I posted this on another thread, but I wanted to encourage debate.

Dimitroff has always said that he drafts on a need- and system-specific basis. He will also look at the draft and put prospects in tiers, so that he can judge whether he can draft alternative prospects in later rounds.

The defense needs DT and a LB. It also could use a good pass rushing DE. The offense needs depth at the OL and a dual threat TE.

When Dimitroff looks at this draft he will look at each position and judge the depth of talent. So, let's go through this:

DT: We will not get a chance to draft Raji. However, there are a few good DT's that can help stop the run (Scott, Brace, Hill). We don't have to draft a DT in the first round because we can pick up a similarly talented one later on.

LB: Curry and Cushing will be off the board. Do Sintim, Matthews and English have skills, specific to our needs, that are clearly better than Beckwith, Freeman, McKenzie, Ivy and Williams? I don't think so. Hence, we don't have to draft a LB in the first round.

DE: Orakpo and Brown will get drafted pretty early. The next tier of DE's are pretty similar, so drafting one in the first round would not be a great value. The only exception would be Michael Johnson. MJ may have truly exceptional physical traits, but his college production have not put him in the elite group. Drafting him would be a gamble on greatness.

OL: There will be a run on OT's ahead of our pick. It happens nearly every draft. The remaining OL's will fall into a rather large second tier of prospects. The depth of that tier will last into the third round. No need to reach for an OT here.

TE: This is where "need-based" and "system-specific" meets Value. If Pettigrew falls to the #24 pick, he should be at the top of Dimitoff's list. He is the only TE in this draft that can pass protect like an OT and still be a reliable, tough receiver that can, consistently move the chains. Pettigrew is not fast, but he gains separation by making great cuts and using his body to shield the ball. Nelson is a fine prospect, but he needs a lot of work on blocking. He is also not the receiver that BP is. Cook is a WR (TO style) that has never seriously blocked anyone. Casey is an older prospect that will not likely get any better. Coffman might be a good later round pick, but his blocking will be a problem for several seasons. Phillips has desire, but he lacks athleticism. HIll is also a good prospect, but he drops too many balls and he has the habit of lunging for blocks. Clearly, the only TE in this draft, that fits our run-first offense, is Pettigrew.

This draft is deep in receiving TE's, but has only one dual threat TE.

If Pettigrew is available in the first round, he should be our pick. The defense can be addressed in subsequent rounds without sacrificing quality or fit.

HOnestly after looking at the TE prospects, the only TE that could come in and start immediatley is BP, but the thing that you have to consider is the fact that we have two serviceable TE on the roster now, so there is no immediate need for BP to start, giving us the ability to develop a prospect in the later round similiar to our LB situation or our DE situation. Based on my own individual assessment of the situation I would rather go with Nelson or Coffman in the 3rd in the second espeically if we can trade out of the 1st for a 2nd round pick and a third round pick. If we do pick BP, i wouldnt be upset.

Yes, I'm saying my goodbyes. It wouldn't surprise me if the Pats snatched him up in the 2nd round.

I wouldnt mind getting Pettigrew, I just hope that he is a little faster than he 40 time indicates. I guess i have to say goodbye to MJ too, maybe we can trade up in the 2nd to get either of the two.

I wouldnt mind getting Pettigrew, I just hope that he is a little faster than he 40 time indicates. I guess i have to say goodbye to MJ too, maybe we can trade up in the 2nd to get either of the two.

We may still get him... But so far I've heard no rumblings of any interest from the Falcons. Falcons have shown some interest in Johnson though. Who knows

We may still get him... But so far I've heard no rumblings of any interest from the Falcons. Falcons have shown some interest in Johnson though. Who knows

Sometimes when you don't hear about interest in a player it is because that is who they really want and are just keeping it a secret. TD seems to be pretty good at his poker face.

Sometimes when you don't hear about interest in a player it is because that is who they really want and are just keeping it a secret. TD seems to be pretty good at his poker face.

I know right, As a fan who wants to know everything that is going on with the Falcons, I hate TD Poker Face, but AS a Fan who want what best for the team I appreciate TD Poker FAce.

I know right, As a fan who wants to know everything that is going on with the Falcons, I hate TD Poker Face, but AS a Fan who want what best for the team I appreciate TD Poker FAce.

I'm with you on that. We might have to sneak us a camera in his office so we know what's going on. I wish I knew too but the anticipation is kind of fun in it's own right.

Yeah I am starting to warm to Pettigrew in the 1st. I would still prefer to have a defensive player but can't really find one for good value at #24. The only contenders for me would be Ziggy Hood and possibly Clay Matthews.

Hood would be a good pick. Unfortunately, he is showing up, in mocks, ahead of us.

Lol even if BP or MJ turned out to be bad picks that doesn't justify the firing of a GM who had 1 bad pick, which is not even that high, and a tremendous first year.

Every year about 50% of the 1st round picks GMs make turn out to be bad, but they aren't fired...

Lol even if BP or MJ turned out to be bad picks that doesn't justify the firing of a GM who had 1 bad pick, which is not even that high, and a tremendous first year.

Every year about 50% of the 1st round picks GMs make turn out to be bad, but they aren't fired...

Can't miss on your 1st rd. picks.