Why a trade down makes sense

I think the following players fit the mold that we are looking for- solid, starting caliber role players with upside. They are all likely to go in the second round and a trade down from the first might provide us an opportunity to pick them up. TD has stated previously that he believes in drafting for need. I see this as a nice scenario that is at least plausible- assuming TD doesn't decide Delmas is a must get with our first rounder.

OLB Sintim has drawn the interest of the Falcons, and after checking out his videos its easy to see why. He looks like the real deal, taking on and pushing blockers back and generally having a good nose for the ball. He is a possible long term solution at OLB. He is slated to go in the 2nd round.

DT Ron Brace fits our need at NT. He has the size and IMO will make a great 2 down runstopper. This is currently a big hole on our roster, even though we are hopefull for Trey Lewis' return, Brace is the fatty we need after losing Grady. Brace is slated to go in the 2nd/3rd but I doubt he makes it to round 3.

Safety- Moore/Delmas Delmas may not make it to the 2nd, but Moore will. Moore, like Sam Baker, played hurt his senior year. He had an incredible junior season and I think TD has demonstrated that he isn't afraid to take a player like that.

We have 4 cbs on the roster who can compete for the 2 starting slots, I consider that position less of a need and suspect that we will go that route early only if TD sees someone he deems to be a #1 type of cb. We have Hartsock at TE, who is underrated by most because of injuries his first year here, so TE is more of a want than a need.

I love the idea of trading down; however, acquiring two second rounders is not very likely. We would most likely receive a 2nd and 3rd round pick. Of course we could always trade up from the 3rd back into the second but I would much rather stock pile picks and let TD have at it.

I really like the idea of trading out of the first.

IMO anyone we would get at 24 who would fill a need will likely be a bit of a reach.

The big impact guys we would like will be gone.

We should trade into the first half of the 2nd and grab a 3rd rounder. Guys like Sintim and Moore are exactlly who we need but at 24 they are a reach.

This allows us to pick up another 3rd round pick to help fill the holes or even grab some O-line depth, and we also pay a nice bit less for our earliest pick.

Trade down baby, allllll day long.

my vote is for trading #24 and chris houston for clevelands two 2nd rounders (#36, #50). i think that cleveland may be interested in moving up to grab knowshon moreno if hes available like i think he will be. that would be a good pickup imo.

-Mr. Offseason

Knowshon isn't going to be there at 24. They'd have to trade up a lot higher than that to get him.

Trading down is always an appealing option. unfortunately 75% of teams want to trade down every year if they can get the kind of value you want. However only one or two trades at most happens each year. there is very rarely a team that wants to trade up and if there is it would most likely be for Freeman if he falls to us.

my vote is for trading #24 and chris houston for clevelands two 2nd rounders (#36, #50). i think that cleveland may be interested in moving up to grab knowshon moreno if hes available like i think he will be. that would be a good pickup imo.

-Mr. Offseason

I personally like the idea of Cleveland jumping up... but I think it would be to secure Chris Wells. If Philly goes after another need with their first pick, I think its very possible Wells is there at 24. Jammal Lewis will be going into his 11th season, and eric mangini, has always relied on a strong running game. I don't think the Browns will be looking for thunder and lightning... I think they are in the market for a new thunder all together.

Knowshon isn't going to be there at 24. They'd have to trade up a lot higher than that to get him.

i think he will be. denver, the jets and the eagles are the only teams that could stop him from being there. denver i think HAS to pick defense here, and i think it will be rey maualuga or maybe tyson jackson. the jets need a WR way more than they need a RB, so i think they will get hakeem nicks or perhaps darrius heyward-bey, though i like nicks much more. and the eagles could pick knowshon but i dont see why they would with brian westbrook on the team, they need a power guy and that would be wells. i think knowshon SHOULD be gone earlier, but you know how RB's can fall so easily. RB's can be very good values in the draft, but they are easier to find than a lot of other positions which is why i think they tend to slide. so saying knowshon wont be there at 24 isnt a great call to be making, but thats jmo.

I personally like the idea of Cleveland jumping up... but I think it would be to secure Chris Wells. If Philly goes after another need with their first pick, I think its very possible Wells is there at 24. Jammal Lewis will be going into his 11th season, and eric mangini, has always relied on a strong running game. I don't think the Browns will be looking for thunder and lightning... I think they are in the market for a new thunder all together.

i do too, but i have wells going #21 overall to the eagles so i figured the browns would be content to move up and grab moreno. and i think knowshon is a great back and they could find more of a power back to rotate with him later in the draft or possibly next year. but moreno is a great talent and getting him would give their running game a big boost. plus by adding chris houston they immediately fill in a need at CB with a 2 year starter. we get two 2nd round picks to add much needed depth.

i dont think it will happen, but i would love it to happen. i just cant bring myself to involve trades in my mock.

-Mr. Offseason

i really think this will be heavliy discussed by our scouting and coaching staff, and will be a daytime decision based on who goes early, there is value there at 24, but if a few guys we really want are gone, trade down and sweep up the 2nd and 3rd

i have since the start of the off season and looking at our needs and the quality depth of this draft liked trading down. There is nice depth in this draft, and we will with and extra 2nd and 3rd round pick be able to fill a lot of holes.