Question for UGA fans...

GATECHfan

i really like the guy as a blocker and he seems to show a lot of heart, although i am a bit concerned at the amount of plays he takes off, namely the plays when UGA playing defense. jokes aside, i think the guy will make a great pro; maybe not as flashy as moreno or as heralded as stafford but he has been as consistent as they come.

he seems to have pretty good speed, and his blocking is exceptional. he reminds me a lot of mike cox (fb for kansas city and tech alum) with more speed. however, i have never seen the guy run passing routes or catch a football. i am not a fan of drafting a te early as i am of the mindset that we should address defense first, so do you think if we drafted him in a later round, would he be able to make the switch to te?

i really like the guy as a blocker and he seems to show a lot of heart, although i am a bit concerned at the amount of plays he takes off, namely the plays when UGA playing defense. jokes aside, i think the guy will make a great pro; maybe not as flashy as moreno or as heralded as stafford but he has been as consistent as they come.

he seems to have pretty good speed, and his blocking is exceptional. he reminds me a lot of mike cox (fb for kansas city and tech alum) with more speed. however, i have never seen the guy run passing routes or catch a football. i am not a fan of drafting a te early as i am of the mindset that we should address defense first, so do you think if we drafted him in a later round, would he be able to make the switch to te?

It depends on the system, but he was great playing TE for uga. We had such bad injuries this year he had to actually play a lot of TE a lot this past season when he was healthy. Regarding his pass catching ability that is another area he does a great job. In Stafford's freshman year Brannan caught just 14 passes, but he averaged 11 yards per catch and the year before he averaged 8 yards per catch and he caught 13 passes. When our wrs stunk for 2 years Brannan was very helpful catching passes. His height may not be what teams want at the TE spot, but he has the ability to play TE showing how versatile he is. He reminds me soo much of mack strong who played for 15 years in the nfl and came from Georgia. I saw both guys in person and they are very familiar in their games (including height and size) and the one plus is they both really put forth a ton of effort.

I don't think he's an every down tight end, but I think a team could do well using him as an H-Back type. That may be the best way to use his combination of great hands, lead blocking experience and short yardage running. It's a pretty good skill set to have, not to mention that he could be a very good special teams contributor. I think the comparison to Mack Strong is dead right.