Woodson: Atlanta's Negativity Is Draining

tdot falcon

Hawks coach Mike Woodson is enjoying the relative success of the team as of late, but would like for the city of Atlanta to start showing some civic pride.

"It's great for the city," Woodson said of the recent success of both the Hawks and the NHL's Thrashers. "You need all the sports teams to do well. With that being said, they need support instead of always negativity going around. Sometimes it takes time, but we're so impatient. I've been here five years now. It's draining to me."

Flame away Hawks fans...

if the hawks and falcons start winning like this for the next 4-5 years + add in a couple of playoff wins for both teams and you best believe it'll become a sports town. the teams have sucked so long. the hawks went, what 15 years w/o a playoff berth or something like that before last year. and even last year they were below .500. the falcons are good every 4-5 years. put together some consistent winning and you'll get a consistent fan base.

i think both teams are capable.

if the hawks and falcons start winning like this for the next 4-5 years + add in a couple of playoff wins for both teams and you best believe it'll become a sports town. the teams have sucked so long. the hawks went, what 15 years w/o a playoff berth or something like that before last year. and even last year they were below .500. the falcons are good every 4-5 years. put together some consistent winning and you'll get a consistent fan base.

i think both teams are capable.

I agree,winning changes everything.Once teams get consistent everything will get on track.Wasnt last season the first time the hawks and falcons both made the playoffs (at the same time) in 10 years?

You can talk when you get your win percentage over .350.

dumbass. I love the hawks and they are great now and i have always supported them but ur not gonna get the bandwagon fans untill u get over .500% for ur career mr.woodson.

Yup,Woody's win % is in a huge hole.......we could go 82-0 next season and his win % would still suck lol

Atlanta being a transplant city will lose significance as those transplants settle down and have children.

There are much smaller places that have better fanbases, we haven't had much success and are a city where there are alot of other things to be doing other than going to a losing team's games.

It sucks but it's true. I am an automatic homer for any atlanta team, though I don't really follow baseball or hockey. I don't follow basketball much outside of the hawks and trailblazers either. I only got into football a few years ago, just in time for us to go on the decline lol.

My first ever professional sports game was a hawks game, we still had Mutumbo and Terry at that point. I think we should do a better job as a city of supporting them, but at the same time Woodson could be doing a better job of developing the raw talent we have on this team. Us not giving Acie his minutes before Marvin went down is down right criminal, as we won't have Bibby forever and must know if this is a guy who can be relied upon for the longterm.

And we seriously have to become a better team at preventing teams from going on long scoring drives after we have them down by 10+ points. When you consistantly allow teams to do that, that is a COACHING problem. I will give him his props for us improving every year despite Knights poor drafting foresight. See missing out on Deron Williams, Chris Paul, and Brandon Roy.

But I think our team could definitely be better coached, and would love to get Avery Johnson, if we could afford his salary.

Hawks coach Mike Woodson is enjoying the relative success of the team as of late, but would like for the city of Atlanta to start showing some civic pride.

"It's great for the city," Woodson said of the recent success of both the Hawks and the NHL's Thrashers. "You need all the sports teams to do well. With that being said, they need support instead of always negativity going around. Sometimes it takes time, but we're so impatient. I've been here five years now. It's draining to me."

Flame away Hawks fans...

Flame what? He's right.

Fans in Atlanta need to be ashamed of themselves for not supporting their hometown teams.

I'm a transplant from New Jersey (came here in 93) but I've come to love the Hawks and The Falcons more than my "home town" Sixers and Eagles. The bottom line is winning will change everything here, you don't think LA is a transplant city? But the Lakers are constant winners so people who aren't even from there grow to love them.

A vast amount of the negativity he's talking about comes from the AJC, local sports talk radio has been fairly positive about the Hawks and Thrashers. If the local media isn't positive or excited about a team it's hard for the fans and even the casual fan to get excited about going to games.

Atlanta being a transplant city will lose significance as those transplants settle down and have children.

That's the biggest cop-out used for the lack of support for Atlanta sports teams. That simply isn't true, there are dozens of cities larger and small that are full of transplanted individuals, they garner support quite well. The lack of a winning tradition by the Falcons, Hawks and Thrashers has more to due with support than anything.. the Braves have a great winning tradition and a very good following, unfortunately the collapse of TBS broadcasting Braves games has truly hurt that franchise. There IS a great deal of apathy in the Atlanta sports community for the professional teams, maybe that has to do with the arena locations, or a negative stereotype about downtown Atlanta, who knows, but the "transplant" theory is total bunk.

The Hawks made the playoffs last year... had a record under .500 that shouldn't even be considered a good season... in fact if they hadn't taken the Celtics to 7 games it would have been a huge disappointment despite making the playoffs....

This year they have done amazing and I went to a game last week against the Jazz.... The city may get behind the team when they see some sustained success

The Hawks made the playoffs last year... had a record under .500 that shouldn't even be considered a good season... in fact if they hadn't taken the Celtics to 7 games it would have been a huge disappointment despite making the playoffs....

This year they have done amazing and I went to a game last week against the Jazz.... The city may get behind the team when they see some sustained success

Exactly, let's not forget the long mismanagement of the two by the Spirit Group hasn't helped matters, they're more interested in their investment than they are about a consistent winning team.

I was at the game against the Jazz too! Man the crowd was going nuts for Mario West that whole night lol.

Some of the comments in this thread prove Woodson's point. People are taking shots at his overall record, some others are calling him an idiot. You don't think that's negativity? The only thing that matters to me is that he took the Hawks to the playoffs last year and is on the brink of taking the Hawks to first round home court advantage this year. I'm not mulling in the pas; I'm living in the now and now Woodson is doing a great job. Get out of the coma; it's not 2005 anymore.

Is Atlanta a bad sports town? I'd say it is, but for good reasons. We have a lot of transplants in the city. People around the state hate coming to Atlanta. Our neighborhoods are segregated by race and income class and the ticket-buying demographic lives 20 miles north of the city. Traffic is bad downtown and MARTA can't extend into Cobb and Gwinnett. Our sports talk radio stations rarely talk sports. There's only one paper and people hate it for political reasons. There are a lot of things working against Atlanta sports teams that other towns don't have to deal with.

I gotta agree with coach on this one. Part of it is not all the implant fans, but the implants in the media. Most of these talk radio guys have no loyalty or connection to the history of this city or the teams and just view it as business. They come from cities like New York, Boston and Philly and are just trying to recreate the anger and bitterness that comes from those towns for entertainment purposes. I live in the D.C. area now and 90% of their on air talent is from the area or played or coached for teams in this area for years. You can definately see the difference in tone and general lack of knowledge. Plus they respect and have input on ALL sports up here. You never hear a host or writer make a statement like "I don't care about the NBA/NHL"...Like Bell or the Stews seem to do..Your job is sports talk radio.. Not college footbal talk radio.. Or bar hopping talk radio....

Is Atlanta a bad sports town? I'd say it is, but for good reasons. We have a lot of transplants in the city. People around the state hate coming to Atlanta. Our neighborhoods are segregated by race and income class and the ticket-buying demographic lives 20 miles north of the city. Traffic is bad downtown and MARTA can't extend into Cobb and Gwinnett. Our sports talk radio stations rarely talk sports. There's only one paper and people hate it for political reasons. There are a lot of things working against Atlanta sports teams that other towns don't have to deal with.

You don't think other cities face some of the same problems? Again though the transplant reasoning is a cop-out, other cities have the same if not more transplants or transient residents. Having lived all over the country, in sports markets both small and large, Atlanta is the worst and it all comes down to tradition, if the teams in Atlanta were consistent winners you'd have a much larger fan base, traffic, transplants, miles between the potential fans and the arenas are all excuses, other cities have the same problems and do just fine. One of the problems I've noticed about Atlanta is there's an awful lingering stereotype about the city, other cities have bad areas but from talking to some residents you'd think that only their own backyard is safe. No other city I've lived in or around suffers from the social issues that Atlanta does, there's an us vs. them mentality when it comes to long time residents/new residents of the area, there's an awful stereotype about the city and there's definitely a segregation amongst social/financial classes in the city (I wouldn't say it's race based, merely financial). But this all reminds me of a city that hasn't fully grown up yet, Atlanta is still a fairly young city socially and it just simply needs to grow up. Having said that, there are dozens of cities in similar situations that have successful sports teams. Cleveland is very similar to Atlanta and it has some very successful and popular sports teams, the difference is a winning tradition.

You don't think other cities face some of the same problems? Again though the transplant reasoning is a cop-out, other cities have the same if not more transplants or transient residents. Having lived all over the country, in sports markets both small and large, Atlanta is the worst and it all comes down to tradition, if the teams in Atlanta were consistent winners you'd have a much larger fan base, traffic, transplants, miles between the potential fans and the arenas are all excuses, other cities have the same problems and do just fine. One of the problems I've noticed about Atlanta is there's an awful lingering stereotype about the city, other cities have bad areas but from talking to some residents you'd think that only their own backyard is safe. No other city I've lived in or around suffers from the social issues that Atlanta does, there's an us vs. them mentality when it comes to long time residents/new residents of the area, there's an awful stereotype about the city and there's definitely a segregation amongst social/financial classes in the city (I wouldn't say it's race based, merely financial). But this all reminds me of a city that hasn't fully grown up yet, Atlanta is still a fairly young city socially and it just simply needs to grow up. Having said that, there are dozens of cities in similar situations that have successful sports teams. Cleveland is very similar to Atlanta and it has some very successful and popular sports teams, the difference is a winning tradition.

Cleveland has a winning tradition? :huh: