Rich McKay: Could You Do Better?

BenB321

Let me ask you a question: Do you think in all honesty that you could do as well or better than McKay with the picks we had under his tenure? I bet you could. Let me ask you another question do you think you could do as well or better as McKay in picking a head coach? Again I bet you could. Final question: Would you ever, ever, ever pick a player with the 8th pick in the draft and not bring him in for a personal workout? The answer is NO.

To give McKay credit he gave us one Pro Bowler in 4 years of drafts: Roddy White. I don't know to be happy he did give us a Pro Bowl player or be pissed off that he only got us one. Also he did get us Abe. I guess a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. Speaking of Abe here is a list of some FAs McKay brought in: Dez White, Jason Webster, Ike Reese, Hurtwell, Lawyer Milloy, Joe Horn, Joey Harrington, Abe, Byron Leftwich, Chris Redman. Not very impressive except for Abe.

Rich McKay is a best medicore and at worst incompetent. It is a reflection of how bad McKay was in terms of player evaulation that TD is basically having to overhaul the entire team. Thanks for nothing Rich and I can't wait until the door hits you on the way out.

Coaches Hired:

1. Jim Mora

2. Bobby Petrino

Players Drafted:

1.08 DE Jamaal Anderson Arkansas from HOU

2.07 OT Justin Blalock Texas from HOU

2.09 CB Chris Houston Arkansas from MIN

3.11 WR Laurent Robinson Illinois State

4.10 LB Stephen Nicholas South Florida

4.34 TE Martrez Milner Georgia compensatory pick

6.11 DT Trey Lewis Washburn

6.20 CB David Irons Auburn from JAC

6.24 OC Doug Datish Ohio State from DEN through JAC

6.29 DB Daren Stone Maine from BAL through JAC

7.34 RB Jason Snelling Virginia compensatory pick

2.05 FS Jimmy Williams Virginia Tech from GB; trade 2006 2.15, 3.29, 5.15 plus rec'd 2006 5.06

3.15 RB Jerious Norwood Mississippi State

5.06 OT Quinn Ojinnaka Syracuse from GB; trade 2006 2.15, 3.29, 5.15 plus rec'd 2006 2.05

6.15 WR Adam Jennings Fresno State

7.15 QB D.J. Shockley Georgia

1.27 WR Roddy White Ala.-Birmingham

2.27 DT Jonathan Babineaux Iowa

3.27 LB Jordan Beck Cal Poly

4.27 DE Chauncey Davis Florida State

5.24 OLB Michael Boley Southern Mississippi from DEN; trade DT Ellis Johnson (2004)

5.27 OT Frank Omiyale Tennessee Tech

6.27 RB Deandra Cobb Michigan State

7.27 NT Darrell Shropshire South Carolina

1.08 DB DeAngelo Hall Virginia Tech

1.29 WR Michael Jenkins Ohio State from IND; trade draft pick 2004 2.06, 3.06 and 4.29 plus rec'd draft pick 2004 3.27

3.27 QB Matt Schaub Virginia from IND; trade draft pick 2004 2.06, 3.06 and 4.29 plus rec'd draft pick 2004 1.29

4.05 LB Demorrio Williams Nebraska

5.10 NT Chad Lavalais Louisiana State

6.21 FS Etric Pruitt Southern Mississippi from MIA; trade draft picks

7.18 RB Quincy Wilson West Virginia from MIA; trade draft picks (was from NO; compensation LB Derrick Rogers (2003))

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that 2006 draft was just disgusting..

Your right. I'm sure Blank was furious when he looked back at McKay's 2006 draft and that was one of the reasons McKay was fired from the GM position. I just can't believe McKay would stick around after failing so miserably. I wonder if Blank deducts McKay's salary as a charitable contribution because charity is the only reason he should still be here.

Honestly. When I sat on my couch with my draft player book I chose many of the same guys mckay did. Houston, martrez, JA( i wanted laron landry but he was gone). I woulda never hired petrino though. im not a fan of college coaches. all that to say. I woulda done the same to worse.

Sounds like you would have been better than McKay. Same players better coaches.

Your right. I'm sure Blank was furious when he looked back at McKay's 2006 draft and that was one of the reasons McKay was fired from the GM position. I just can't believe McKay would stick around after failing so miserably. I wonder if Blank deducts McKay's salary as a charitable contribution because charity is the only reason he should still be here.

No, he actually has a higher position now I think. He's good where he is, he's gonna get us a brand new fat shiny stadium in about 6 or 7 years. God willing I'll be around to see it. :lol:

well he did much better with the Draft than Free Agents for sure, Actualy Drafting Guys he wasnt that bad, heres what it looks like broke down...

1.08 DE Jamaal Anderson still with us Starter

2.07 OT Justin Blalock Still with us Starter

2.09 CB Chris Houston Still with us Starter

3.11 WR Laurent Robinson still with us Starter ability

4.10 LB Stephen Nicholas still with us Starter ability

4.34 TE Martrez Milner still with us

6.11 DT Trey Lewis still with us

6.20 CB David Irons still with us

7.34 RB Jason Snelling still with us

3.15 RB Jerious Norwood pro bowl potintal

5.06 OT Quinn Ojinnaka still with us

6.15 WR Adam Jennings still in NFL i forget who with

7.15 QB D.J. Shockley 3rd string for us

1.27 WR Roddy White Pro Bpwler

2.27 DT Jonathan Babineaux signed up long term

4.27 DE Chauncey Davis signed up long term

5.24 OLB Michael Boley Still in NFL Giants

1.08 DB DeAngelo Hall still in NFL Wash Pro Bowler

1.29 WR Michael Jenkins signed up long term Pro Bowl Potintial

3.27 QB Matt Schaub still in NFL Hou

4.05 LB Demorrio Williams still in NFL KC

FAs Brought in

John Abraham Still with us Pro Bowler

Dez White out of NFL

Jason Webster Out of NFL

Ike Reese Out of NFL

Ed Hartwell Out of NFL

Lawyer Milloy Retired

Joe Horn Retired

Joey Harrington 3rd string qb Saints

Byron Leftwich Looking for a Job

Chris Redman still with us back up qb

well he did much better with the Draft than Free Agents for sure, Actualy Drafting Guys he wasnt that bad, heres what it looks like broke down...

FAs Brought in

Dez White out of NFL

Jason Webster Out of NFL

Ike Reese Out of NFL

Ed Hartwell Out of NFL

Lawyer Milloy Retired

Joe Horn Retired

Yes some of the players he drafted are still being productive but why are we having to rebuild the entire team after his 4 years. Plus he totally struck out on coaches. By the way since you are the Shredman what do you think of Victor Griffin in Place of Skulls?

No, he actually has a higher position now I think. He's good where he is, he's gonna get us a brand new fat shiny stadium in about 6 or 7 years. God willing I'll be around to see it. :lol:

I hope you will too. I disagree with you on McKay getting a higher position. What happened is he was kicked up stairs whch means "To promote to a higher yet less desirable position.". Basically Arthur had lost his head coach and needed a new GM and new head coach so he kept Rich around to keep some continuity. Face it Rich is not the GM because Blank lost faith in his decision making ability as it pertains to player and coaching personel. I think it is telling that Rich is not a GM for another team right now.

Forgive this cheer please, I attend hockey games.

Yo! Vick!

Chorus: You suck!!!

Yo! Mckay!

You suck too!!!

Yo! Petrino!

You suck the MOST!!!

Can you imagine the look on McKay's face up in the owners booth with Blank if they started that up at a Falcon's game. :D

Man! Would that be sweet or what?

Arthur would probably order him out of the booth and ban him from anymore games. I would love it if he opened the window and grabbed McKay then threw his butt right out of the booth. How he can sit up there watching us win only because TD had revamped the entire offense and brought in a new coaching staff is beyond me. Now this year TD has to rebuild the entire defense except for Abe. McKay has absolutely no shame. I hope he doesn't try to take credit for what TD is doing because he deserves none.

Yes some of the players he drafted are still being productive but why are we having to rebuild the entire team after his 4 years. Plus he totally struck out on coaches.

Let's see...why would we have to rebuild the team? Maybe because we're going in a completely different direction with completely different schemes offensively and defensively? The team was built around a style being run by previous coaching staffs, and when a new staff comes in, schemes & players tend to change.

People are mentioning a lot of free agents, but how many were brought in here to be main pieces to the puzzle? Most of those mentioned were brought in as role players. Nobody wants to talk about the Kevin Shaffer's, Rod Coleman's, Lawyer Milloy's, Harvey Dahl's that he brought in and had them play well for us. Role players like Ike Reese, Eric Beverly, Chris Crocker, and Chris Cash played their roles ok. Guys brought in like Harrington were supposed to be backups, not forced into starting positions. Really the only big name FA that blew up on him was Hartwell, and you just can't predict injuries. Hartwell wasn't injury prone when he was signed.

And were the coaching hires on McKay? I think Mora was, but Mora took us to within a game of the superbowl his first year. How many thought that was a bad hire going into the 2005 season? Petrino, I think that hire was rushed by Mr. Blank. It seemed that Blank wanted a college guy, but didn't give enough time. The hiring was forced into a timeframe with just 1 week of searching.

I'm not giving McKay a full pass, there were plenty of decisions that didn't pan out, and his drafting wasn't the best, but every GM has free agent busts, and gets burned in the draft at times. A lot of that, while blame & credit both go to the GM, is really a product of the scouting department, not necessarily the GM himself.

By the way since you are the Shredman what do you think of Victor Griffin in Place of Skulls?

guy has alot of talent, very solid on the frets, vocals are pretty good aswell, i am more of a classical metal guy myself, shredding leads, Double Bass Drums and High Range Vocals ala , Queensryche , Savatage, Metal Crurch, Dream Theater , Yngwie Malmsteen ect....

Let me ask you a question: Do you think in all honesty that you could do as well or better than McKay with the picks we had under his tenure? I bet you could. Let me ask you another question do you think you could do as well or better as McKay in picking a head coach? Again I bet you could. Final question: Would you ever, ever, ever pick a player with the 8th pick in the draft and not bring him in for a personal workout? The answer is NO.

To give McKay credit he gave us one Pro Bowler in 4 years of drafts: Roddy White. I don't know to be happy he did give us a Pro Bowl player or be pissed off that he only got us one. Also he did get us Abe. I guess a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. Speaking of Abe here is a list of some FAs McKay brought in: Dez White, Jason Webster, Ike Reese, Hurtwell, Lawyer Milloy, Joe Horn, Joey Harrington, Abe, Byron Leftwich, Chris Redman. Not very impressive except for Abe.

Rich McKay is a best medicore and at worst incompetent. It is a reflection of how bad McKay was in terms of player evaulation that TD is basically having to overhaul the entire team. Thanks for nothing Rich and I can't wait until the door hits you on the way out.

Coaches Hired:

1. Jim Mora

2. Bobby Petrino

Players Drafted:

1.08 DE Jamaal Anderson Arkansas from HOU

2.07 OT Justin Blalock Texas from HOU

2.09 CB Chris Houston Arkansas from MIN

3.11 WR Laurent Robinson Illinois State

4.10 LB Stephen Nicholas South Florida

4.34 TE Martrez Milner Georgia compensatory pick

6.11 DT Trey Lewis Washburn

6.20 CB David Irons Auburn from JAC

6.24 OC Doug Datish Ohio State from DEN through JAC

6.29 DB Daren Stone Maine from BAL through JAC

7.34 RB Jason Snelling Virginia compensatory pick

2.05 FS Jimmy Williams Virginia Tech from GB; trade 2006 2.15, 3.29, 5.15 plus rec'd 2006 5.06

3.15 RB Jerious Norwood Mississippi State

5.06 OT Quinn Ojinnaka Syracuse from GB; trade 2006 2.15, 3.29, 5.15 plus rec'd 2006 2.05

6.15 WR Adam Jennings Fresno State

7.15 QB D.J. Shockley Georgia

1.27 WR Roddy White Ala.-Birmingham

2.27 DT Jonathan Babineaux Iowa

3.27 LB Jordan Beck Cal Poly

4.27 DE Chauncey Davis Florida State

5.24 OLB Michael Boley Southern Mississippi from DEN; trade DT Ellis Johnson (2004)

5.27 OT Frank Omiyale Tennessee Tech

6.27 RB Deandra Cobb Michigan State

7.27 NT Darrell Shropshire South Carolina

1.08 DB DeAngelo Hall Virginia Tech

1.29 WR Michael Jenkins Ohio State from IND; trade draft pick 2004 2.06, 3.06 and 4.29 plus rec'd draft pick 2004 3.27

3.27 QB Matt Schaub Virginia from IND; trade draft pick 2004 2.06, 3.06 and 4.29 plus rec'd draft pick 2004 1.29

4.05 LB Demorrio Williams Nebraska

5.10 NT Chad Lavalais Louisiana State

6.21 FS Etric Pruitt Southern Mississippi from MIA; trade draft picks

7.18 RB Quincy Wilson West Virginia from MIA; trade draft picks (was from NO; compensation LB Derrick Rogers (2003))

OMG. chad lavalazy. the original JA98 -_-

I think I could've done better , myself sans some of my hardcore comrades here, let me post my opinion:

-------------------------------------------------

1.Coaches Hired:

1. Jim Mora --------------good move, mora was a decent coach

2. Bobby Petrino --------absoultely and without reasonable doubt God aweful. What the **** was he even thinking, with a college coach? college coaches have an abysmal record in the pros, and this showed, I would've gotten or tried to recruit one of the following: Dan reeves, rex ryan, or mike martz.

Grade: D

--------------------------------------------------

2.Can't knock him much on the draft as it is based on forsight and need. He did draft decent enough, so he gets a pass here.

Grade: C

--------------------------------------------------

list of some FAs McKay brought in:

Dez White - horrendous

Jason Webster - horrid

Ike Reese - atrocious

ed Hartwell - God aweful

Lawyer Milloy - Great pickup

Joe Horn - This is when I noticed that rich mckay might need a napkin due to drooling on himself. He passed on both Randy Moss, and Terrel Owens to get this grandpa? what in the blue heck was he thinking, absolute ridiculous F- level fail.

Joey Harrington - Stupid move, harrington was an obvious bust by then, why get rid of shaub?

john Aberaham - great pickup

Byron Leftwich - fail

Chris Redman - mediocre

Grade: F

Overall grade: D

Overall he was ******** stupid on FA's, and drafted mediocre. It comes as a no surprise we have failed miserably.

FAs Brought in

Dez White out of NFL

Jason Webster Out of NFL

Ike Reese Out of NFL

Ed Hartwell Out of NFL

Lawyer Milloy Retired

Joe Horn Retired

Great job on the breakdown. i had put some of those guys waaaaaaaaay in the back of my mind although i didn't hear that Milloy retired. Sure that would've been all over this board.

I wholeheartedly agree that TD is the man, and I love having him as our GM. I think Arther Blank brought McKay in here because I believe he was Exec of the Year at Tampa when we hired him. If not, then he was at the very least HIGHLY regarded for building that team up to a powerhouse.

However, I want to state again for the Record,

IN TD WE TRUST

I really think you have to put this into context.

FA

In isolation, sure, McKay had some misses in free agency. Just a few points. McKay wasnt appointed GM when we traded for Peerless Price ( Ihave seen McKay connected to that signing here before) and Jason Webster was Moras guy from SanFran. Edgerton was a big signing that unfortunately got hurt. He was the slowest MLB I have ever seen upon his return from injury.

Draft

Without having researched it, I would say that McKay had above average drafts for us. To be able to adequately answer that question (and that's the context), one would HAVE TO make a comparative analysis, ie. looking at what the other 31 GMs did in the draft during the same timespan - how did their draftpicks turn out?? It would be an interesting study if someone were to undertake that and my gut feeling is that McKay would grade out above average compared to the rest of the league.

Personel

McKays role in the hiring of Petrino is unclear to me. That was, however, the worst hiring ever and if he had final call on that he is certainly to blame and a failure in that category...