Andruw Unlikely to Make Rangers

Goodoleboy58

Andruw Jones Unlikely To Make Rangers

By Tim Dierkes [March 18 at 9:51am CST]

WEDNESDAY, 10:51am: Jones indicated to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that he feels comfortable in the Rangers' system and has developed a strong relationship with hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo:

"These guys have the system," Jones said. "The hitting coach they’ve got, they work on the things they want to. We’ll see what happens."

TUESDAY, 10:27pm: According to MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan, outfielder Andruw Jones is unlikely to break camp with the Rangers. Marlon Byrd seems to have a leg up on the fourth outfielder role (he's quieted concerns about his surgically-repaired knee). Sullivan explains the Jones situation:

Technically, the Rangers have to decide by Friday if they'll put him on the Major League roster, but it seems quite clear they have no interest in doing that.

The question is, will Andruw head to Triple A for the Rangers to prove he can still contribute?

Andruw has actually picked it up though hes hitting .258 with 1 HR and 2 RBIs in 31 at-bats but Marlon Byrd obviously has a leg up on him Byrd is hitting .364 in 33 ABs

Hes doing better than Salty who is at .233 with 0 HR and 0 RBIs in 30 ABs

not good enough to beat out Marlon Byrd... thats a huge fall for our golden boy i feel bad for him

not good enough to beat out Marlon Byrd... thats a huge fall for our golden boy i feel bad for him

Something happened to him. I don't know what but, it is hard to understand a drop off like this. I think it is a lot of different things and the biggest reason I think is that he just doesn't care anymore.

Something happened to him. I don't know what but, it is hard to understand a drop off like this. I think it is a lot of different things and the biggest reason I think is that he just doesn't care anymore.

Drugs!!!! That is the only explanation i can see. Somebody who was so good at a job a few years ago to someone who is trash now, usually means one of a few things. And from past experiences and others as well, it seems like drugs could be it. I never would think that but you never know. Alot of people never would of thought this about me, but it happened

Drugs!!!! That is the only explanation i can see. Somebody who was so good at a job a few years ago to someone who is trash now, usually means one of a few things. And from past experiences and others as well, it seems like drugs could be it. I never would think that but you never know. Alot of people never would of thought this about me, but it happened

drugs and an inaccurate age

Andruw Jones could hit free-agent market — again

Contract states he make Rangers’ roster or be granted his release

The Associated Press

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Surprise, Ariz. — Andruw Jones’ time with the Texas Rangers could end Friday.

Jones is in camp on a minor league contract that includes a provision stating that if he is not on the major league roster by March 20, he would be released if requested or added to the roster within 24 hours.

“I can’t say anything right now,” Jones said Thursday. “Ask me tomorrow.”

He hit 51 home runs with 128 RBIs in 2005 with the Atlanta Braves, but has only a .205 batting average the past two seasons. Jones hit .158 with three home runs in 75 games with the Los Angeles Dodgers last year, when he went on the disabled list three times last and had right knee surgery.

Jones, who turns 32 on April 23, said he is waiting for a call Friday from his agent, Scott Boras.

“Decision is Andruw’s,” general manager Jon Daniels said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. “He’s had a good camp, as have our other outfielders. It’s an area of strength for us this year.”

Jones has hit .258 with one home run and two RBIs in 13 spring training games, but has struck out 14 times in 31 at-bats. The 10-time Gold Glove winner has appeared only in minor league exhibitions this week.

Texas has a set outfield, with Josh Hamilton in center, Nelson Cruz in right and David Murphy or Marlon Byrd in left. Frank Catalanotto is the fifth outfielder.

If added to the big league roster, Jones would get a $500,000, one-year contract and the chance to earn $1 million in performance bonuses based on plate appearances from 340 to 620.

The Rangers did make seven roster moves Thursday, optioning infielder German Duran and outfielders Greg Golson and Julio Borbon to Triple-A Oklahoma City of the Pacific Coast League and right-hander John Bannister to Double-A Frisco of the Texas League. Duran, who went to Fort Worth Paschal High and Texas Christian, hit .231 in 60 games in 2008 with Texas.

Texas also assigned right-hander Elizardo Ramirez, left-hander Justin Smoak and left-hander Joe Torres to its minor league camp.

He needs to go to AAA and work his way back up that looks to be the only way right now nobody wanted to give him anything more than a minor league deal when he was a free agent before

Yeah and no one can blame them for that either. They guy has got to show some sort of drive and motivation and display he will be committed to playing hard, conditioning right and be willing to listen and learn. I don't think he wants to do any of those things anymore.

Jones doesn’t want it to end this way

4:34 pm March 22, 2009, by Jeff Schultz

Two years ago, Andruw Jones seemed to be on a path toward Cooperstown. Now, he is trying to avoid being released from his second team in two months and is facing questions that at one time never would have seemed fathomable.

Do you still love the game?

“No doubt. This is what I was born to do.”

Do you understand why people doubt your dedication?

“I’m working hard every day. I’m trying to do as much to show people what I can do when I get on the field.”

What do you do if nobody wants you?

“I’m not sure what’s going on right now. I guess I’ll find out soon. But I want to play.”

By the time he was 29, Jones had won nine Gold Gloves, hit 342 home runs — well on a pace for 600 —played in five All-Star Games and placed as high as second in MVP voting as recently as 2005. He played through injuries. He was neither a clubhouse problem nor a chemical creation.

Now, Jones is, at best, a curiosity. He’s in the Texas Rangers’ camp in Arizona as a non-roster player. They considered releasing him last Friday but decided to keep him through the weekend. Now they’re exploring keeping Jones as a part-time designated hitter. But no decision has been made and putting him on the roster would mean spending $6 million to release Frank Catalanotto.

The Rangers also could release Jones or send him to the minors. It doesn’t appear Jones will opt out of his contract Monday because, well, he doesn’t have a lot of options. How did we get here?

“I feel good. My swing is good. I had one bad year,” he said by phone. “I don’t really care what people think. Whatever team I play for, they’ll see I can still play. I’m sure Texas has seen my work ethic and what I can do.”

He’s only 31. He should be in his prime. But he finds himself speaking like everybody in baseball is sitting in a jury box. You’re OK? Prove it.

Terry Pendleton can’t explain it. The Braves’ hitting coach saw what happened to Jones in Los Angeles last season: The .158 batting average, the three home runs and 14 RBI in 75 games (he hit three homers alone in the 1996 post-season as a rookie). The bottom fell out. But Pendleton, unlike others, doesn’t attribute the descent to weight issues.

“I don’t think weight has anything to do with it,” he said. “Andruw’s as strong as an ox. I think it’s a mental thing to tell you the truth. He’s trying to do too much and there might be a lack of confidence. I wish I could help him get through that mental block.”

The Dodgers signed Jones for two years and $36 million. Cash, meet blowtorch. Jones struggled. He was dropped to eighth in the order. He hurt his knee, had surgery and went on the disabled list.

In January, L.A. decided to pay him the balance just to go away.

It’s believed the Braves were open to bringing him into camp. But Jones, at the behest of agent Scott Boros, opted for a minor-league deal with the Rangers so he could work with hitting instructor Rudy Jaramillo.

“This was all about working with Rudy,” said Jones, who is hitting .273 in the spring with one homer in 33 at-bats. “I knew the Rangers were set in the outfield and I’d have a hard time cracking the lineup.”

He’s probably a little stunned himself about what’s happened. But in his mind, to acknowledge that would be like accepting it.

“I can still be an everyday player,” he said.

An unexpected declaration for a would-be Hall of Famer.

It looks like he might be getting back to where he can be a bench player but if hes smart he'll go to AAA or whatever they want him to do and if he can still play he'll just have to prove it then they'll be a spot for him in MLB somewhere

I could not believe the guy was acting like he was above playing in Triple-A. He wanted a contract but, would not take a Triple-A contract. After the last 2 years he has had he needs to be thankful for getting a shot anywhere.