Is Billy G's firing definately going to happen?

SacFalcFan

A report has been circling around the Internet the past day that says Kentucky basketball coach Billy Gillispie could be out after just two years on the job because of a players' mutiny against the coach.

Leoweekly.com reported late Tuesday afternoon that a source with some University of Kentucky connections who has been "spot on in the past" said that Gillispie is "Going, going gone...only way, I'm told to prevent mass exodus....expect announcement soon." After the initial report, the website came back with another post, this time with even more confirmation.

"Since my last post, I have spoken with several sources, and it now appears as if Billy Clyde Gillispie's departure from UK is imminent. This info comes from people well placed within the UK community, people who have provided reliable information to me in the past about UK personnel moves. The termination, I'm told, will happen soon after UK's last game."

While it does seem to make sense with Kentucky's history, there is no confirmation from any of the big news sources in the area. Neither the Lexington Herald-Leader and Louisville Courier-Journal have confirmed any of this information, so take the report for what it's worth.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for the OK fans or it's program after what they did to Tubby.

Their own arrogance got them here, and they are now reaping what they have sown. This is the classic case of "Be Careful What You Wish For."

They deserve everything that is happening to them right now. They can all go **** themselves for all I care.

Hard to imagine what coach will even want the job if he gets fired.

:lol:

Kentucky is still up there with the UNC's and UCLA's of the college basketball world, and any coach wanting to expand his career would love to coach here... Coaches have huge egos - getting UK back to prominence would be a huge stamp on any coach's legacy, and any coach worth his stock knows this...

I have no sympathy whatsoever for the OK fans or it's program after what they did to Tubby.

Their own arrogance got them here, and they are now reaping what they have sown. This is the classic case of "Be Careful What You Wish For."

They deserve everything that is happening to them right now. They can all go **** themselves for all I care.

First of all, thanks for the generalization, I'll take it personally... ;)

Second, Tubby did it to himself... One good recruit in three years is why we're where we're at right now and why he's no longer with us... Our senior class right now consists of a 7'2" softie who has amassed a total of 10 points this season... Forcing to start players like Ramon Harris and Michael Porter because that's all we were left with is precisely why UK is where it is right now...

We should give him 1 or 2 more years.

I agree... Even though he has made some mighty questionable coaching decisions (i.e. starting Mark Coury all last season and apparantly not knowing what a zone defense is) he is getting some good players in here and IMO needs another year or two to get a team of his guys together...

And with regards to the original post, I doubt he's going anywhere this year... He is still aggressively recruiting for 2009 and beyond and actually just got a verbal commitment earlier today...

But if it is true and he is gone, I would bet that Barnhardt isn't going to hire a guy with less than a decade of top college basketball coaching experience just because he talks a good game...

laugh.gif

Kentucky is still up there with the UNC's and UCLA's of the college basketball world, and any coach wanting to expand his career would love to coach here... Coaches have huge egos - getting UK back to prominence would be a huge stamp on any coach's legacy, and any coach worth his stock knows this...

You haven't made a final four since you won the title in 98 i believe. I could be wrong. UK has some catching up to do man.

You haven't made a final four since you won the title in 98 i believe. I could be wrong. UK has some catching up to do man.

You're correct, but that still doesn't change anything in my post... I'm more referring to the historical viewpoint of UK and those other teams and how the programs are seen in their entirety...

Kentucky should be able to get a great coach. UCLA might have more national titles, but it's hard to argue that there's any program in the country that has the same level of tradition and prestige as Kentucky. That is literally all that state cares about. I believe they have the most wins in college basketball history, as well as the 2nd highest number of national titles; along with very passionate and loyal fans.

IMO, they are the "Alabama" of college basketball. So much history and passion. Many Tennessee fans hate UK basketball, but since I'm not a big college b-ball fan, I have more of a respect for them.