Jermaine Phillips to play linebacker?

Buccaneers | Phillips to compete for linebacker job

Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:41:36 -0700

Jim Flynn, of PewterReport.com, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers SS Jermaine Phillips will compete for the starting weakside linebacker job. Phillips said he has never played linebacker but is willing to try the position.

First, I wonder they asked Phillips if he wanted to play WLB before he re-signed. And if so, if he's willing to try it, seems like Roy Williams would be a good fit to try it as well.

Phillips 6'2" 220 lbs

Williams 6'0" 225 lbs

So I wonder if Roy would take a modest deal and make the switch to linebacker.

He may have trouble matching up with wide receivers deep down the field, but maybe he'd do better trying to cover tight ends and running back for 10 yards?

I would love to have a play maker like Roy Williams try and switch to WLB for us. He DID say he wanted to play close to the line of scrimmage and he is not old at all. I would be VERY happy if we could make that happen. I'd say chalk up 5+ INT's for our team, and just from the LB category. He wasn't great in coverage, but he'd be above average in coverage for a WLB.... 3and16....