Thomas Paine rails on the "Common Sense" of our country again

If you are not familiar with Thomas Paine and his pamphlet "Common Sense" he is credited by many (George Washington included) as having been the catalyst of revolution and without whom our War for Independence would never have taken place. 'Common Sense" was read by a full 2/3 rd of the country at the time, it was even quoted from by Washington before his crossing of the Delaware.

I normally don't go in for hokey reenactments, but it is an apt impersonation in this case. I am not talking ideology here, listen to the "common sense" of the message here and just see (regardless of your politics) if you ever disagree with him:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Within the first minute, yes. Diversity, difference and disunity aren't the same things. And yes, I support the concept of one America and think people go overboard with breaking down into sub-groups, but I also think that when certain people cry out for a single America, they conveniently mean their vision of America.

If you are not familiar with Thomas Paine and his pamphlet "Common Sense" he is credited by many (George Washington included) as having been the catalyst of revolution and without whom our War for Independence would never have taken place. 'Common Sense" was read by a full 2/3 rd of the country at the time, it was even quoted from by Washington before his crossing of the Delaware.

I normally don't go in for hokey reenactments, but it is an apt impersonation in this case. I am not talking ideology here, listen to the "common sense" of the message here and just see (regardless of your politics) if you ever disagree with him:

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Yeah but I just watched this clip and 90% of what he said was ideology. And honestly I disagree with him on most of what he said.

Good post though.

Yeah but I just watched this clip and 90% of what he said was ideology. And honestly I disagree with him on most of what he said.

Good post though.

You are of course perfectly entitled to your opinion, but I am honestly blown away by both your conclusions. No jokes or insult intended, just genuinely surprised that any clear thinking, rational, and intelligent person (which I would classify all as attributes you possess) would see it in such a way. I saw what he said as steps needed for the fundamental security and sovereignty of our nation, the situation if not a fact that our leaders do disregard the will of the very people they supposedly represent, that God (not Jesus, or Christianity specifically) was an intricate aspect in the founding of our country and the laws and policies that govern it.

You are of course perfectly entitled to your opinion, but I am honestly blown away by both your conclusions. No jokes or insult intended, just genuinely surprised that any clear thinking, rational, and intelligent person (which I would classify all as attributes you possess) would see it in such a way. I saw what he said as steps needed for the fundamental security and sovereignty of our nation, the situation if not a fact that our leaders do disregard the will of the very people they supposedly represent, that God (not Jesus, or Christianity specifically) was an intricate aspect in the founding of our country and the laws and policies that govern it.

Maybe to say that I disagree with 90% of what he's saying is a stretch. He made a few good points I can agree with. What does having to chose option #2 to hear Spanish when you call in to pay your phone bill have to do with our nations sovereignty? If this is truely a land of freedom then you have to respect that some citizens have a right to speak in their native tongue. Just because someone doesn't speak English does not make them an illegal. They could be a citizen that choses to excersize their right not to learn a new language. And just because they chose not to learn English doesn't take away any of their basic rights as a citizen. Freedom means freedom for ALL. Not just ones that talk like you. If a company things its good business practice to write words in Spanish on their bills and signs. Isn't that just the free market at work?

The Silent Majority? What is that? What does that mean? If they were truely a majority, then why did they lose the last general election by over 5 million votes?

The government is far from perfect. But to pretend they can't even run a railroad, airport or deliver your mail is disingenious and insulting to o people that have and will continue doing an excellent job.

Out of one side of his mouth he is saying the God shouldn't be seperated from public life...Then he goes on to compare a woman practicing her religion and honoring her God (by wearing a headdress) to members of a murderous terror group like the KKK...(wtf?)

To demonize people by calling them "invaders" when this country was "founded" by "invaders" is ridiculous.

And for something thats supposed to be bipartisian and free of ideology why would he accuse the new president and his administration of being traitors?

So no Thomas Paine I don't approve of your message. Because although there is some truth in some of the words you spoke. We have to dig through too much bullshyt, angry populism, victimhood and harmful nationalism to get to it...

Shame on you Bob. This guy isn't Thomas Paine, he's some clown in a powdered wig, wrapping himself in the flag, trying to legitimize his hate speech by pretending to be be something he clearly isn't. I really think you're way off the mark oh this one. Immigration is a a complex issue that needs thoughtful discussion and policy making, not emotionalized racism which is exactly what this guy is spewing.

Maybe to say that I disagree with 90% of what he's saying is a stretch. He made a few good points I can agree with. What does having to chose option #2 to hear Spanish when you call in to pay your phone bill have to do with our nations sovereignty? If this is truely a land of freedom then you have to respect that some citizens have a right to speak in their native tongue. Just because someone doesn't speak English does not make them an illegal. They could be a citizen that choses to excersize their right not to learn a new language. And just because they chose not to learn English doesn't take away any of their basic rights as a citizen. Freedom means freedom for ALL. Not just ones that talk like you. If a company things its good business practice to write words in Spanish on their bills and signs. Isn't that just the free market at work?

The Silent Majority? What is that? What does that mean? If they were truely a majority, then why did they lose the last general election by over 5 million votes?

The government is far from perfect. But to pretend they can't even run a railroad, airport or deliver your mail is disingenious and insulting to o people that have and will continue doing an excellent job.

Out of one side of his mouth he is saying the God shouldn't be seperated from public life...Then he goes on to compare a woman practicing her religion and honoring her God (by wearing a headdress) to members of a murderous terror group like the KKK...(wtf?)

To demonize people by calling them "invaders" when this country was "founded" by "invaders" is ridiculous.

And for something thats supposed to be bipartisian and free of ideology why would he accuse the new president and his administration of being traitors?

So no Thomas Paine I don't approve of your message. Because although there is some truth in some of the words you spoke. We have to dig through too much bullshyt, angry populism, victimhood and harmful nationalism to get to it...

Amen.

I stopped watching it when he said that the country was founded on similarities and not differences.

Thats something thats so not true you can't even call it a stretch. The founding fathers tried to set up this country so that every state would be different and essentially espouse the views of its unique population. In other words, they founded it in the hopes that a bunch of states that stood for different things would be loosely connected and part of a bigger picture for reasons of national defense and such.

Back in their times, they actually did differentiate themselves. they called themselves Virginians and Georgians instead of simply Americans. Our current culture that has much more unity between people and less diversity is actually a perversion of their dream if anything.

If the guy is that far off from such a simple fact then I'm pretty sure he isn't worth any more of my time.

I stopped watching it when he said that the country was founded on similarities and not differences.

Thats something thats so not true you can't even call it a stretch. The founding fathers tried to set up this country so that every state would be different and essentially espouse the views of its unique population. In other words, they founded it in the hopes that a bunch of states that stood for different things would be loosely connected and part of a bigger picture for reasons of national defense and such.

Back in their times, they actually did differentiate themselves. they called themselves Virginians and Georgians instead of simply Americans. Our current culture that has much more unity between people and less diversity is actually a perversion of their dream if anything.

If the guy is that far off from such a simple fact then I'm pretty sure he isn't worth any more of my time.

Exactly how I see it. Not only me but also my 89 year old grandfather that lived through some of these "good old days" that some Americans foolishly seem so anxious to return back to.