Why does everyone bash Pettirgrew

The guy is big, athletic and CAN BLOCK. He's a red zone threat.

He's a dual threat TE in the mold of a young Bubba Franks. He's a huge target and he CAN ACTUALLY BLOCK.

It gives the offense more versatility with him in the lineup as opposed to Cook, Beckum, Coffman, Nelson, etc.

If you don't want this guy you don't understand football and the benefits he brings to an offense:

"He doesn't have explosive speed (4.6 in the 40), and I know some coaches in the bottom half of the first round who are praying he runs a slow time (at the combine) so that he can slide to them," Mayock said. "I mean, he's that good a football player."

As he leaves college, we're left with the lingering question of what might have been for Brandon Pettigrew.

"He's a physically imposing player," Kiper said on a Wednesday teleconference. "He is certainly one of the top players in this draft in the senior class. And even with the juniors in it, he's still a guy right around that (No. 11) spot. He would be worthy of being picked that high."

*** Jared Cook also was underutilized in college, had very good stats and measurables, but he will never be as good as Pettigrew as far as being a complete tightend

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I have never bashed Pettigrew and I think he would be an excellent player in the Falcons offense. I think the majority of the people just want to see a defensive player picked high.

I was kind of hoping the Falcons would have shored up the defense a little more in free agency so Falcons/Dimitroff could have been more flexible in the draft - so they could go offense if that was the value on the board.

I still think that Pettigrew may end up being the pick. At this point, I almost wonder if Falcons could trade back into the early 2nd round, pickup a 3rd rounder and still take Pettigrew - doubtful but that would be ideal because we would still have a 2nd and two 3rds in that case to address the defense.

While I would still prefer Clay Matthews in the 1st, I would not be suprised at all if the Falcons took Pettigrew - and if they do, I will be OK with it. Besides, I was not thrilled with the Matt Ryan pick last year and now I have 4 Matt Ryan jersey's in the entire family's closets - so, in Thomas Dimitroff I trust.

Guest Gritz
I haven't seen people BASH him, but if you ask me I would much rather use our 1st round pick on a defensive player.

Amen.......

It's like if you have an eye infection.....you know you don't need to go to a dentist.

Guest Gritz
i'd be happy with pettigrew. i think he could be our heath miller.

and everyone acts like we don't have 6 other picks we could use on defense.

I'm not disagreeing with ya boss, or the idea that we might need or go after Pettigrew.

I just believe it's a normal and natural reaction for most fans (myself included) to think we need real attention devoted to the defense.

There is too much focus on defense. Remember that a good ball control offense makes your defense better automatically. A TE that can block and catch is part of that mix. We saw last season how our offense can dominate a weaker defense and a good TE will help further that against better teams. If you can hold the ball and score, you force the other team away from exploiting your run defense. I would rather we address OLB at #24, but if our preferred player options are all gone and that is a distinct possibility, I have no issue with taking Pettigrew there.

DE: abraham

UT: babs

NT: lewis

DE: anderson/davis

SLB: peterson

MLB: lofton

WLB: nicholas

CB: jackson

CB: houston

FS: coleman

SS: ?

do we?

I just think that a few starters to upgrade our defense would make more of an impact that a TE. It's always been said that Mularkey prefers to leave the TE in to block a majority of the time, and we have a couple of good blocking TE, so I just don't believe we would get as much value out of a first rd TE as we would a good defensive player.

I wouldn't come on and throw a fit if we picked Pettigrew. He is a good player and I'm sure that Mularkey and Smith would find creative ways to use him. We just have a lot of weapons already on offense, so a TE impact would not be as great as a comparative def player.

There is too much focus on defense. Remember that a good ball control offense makes your defense better automatically. A TE that can block and catch is part of that mix. We saw last season how our offense can dominate a weaker defense and a good TE will help further that against better teams. If you can hold the ball and score, you force the other team away from exploiting your run defense. I would rather we address OLB at #24, but if our preferred player options are all gone and that is a distinct possibility, I have no issue with taking Pettigrew there.

what he said

Guest Gritz
There's alot of people in here who have the belief that all of our picks should be on defense only and the best pick is always an *early round pick.

*see JA98

I disagree totally and would be happy as heck to get Pettigrew.

It all boils down to this for me.....Dimitroff in one year has earned my respect and huge benefit of the doubt.

If Pettigrew is there and is who TD thinks is best for us at #24 then I'm going to support the crap out of the move........ ;)

It just appears that our more pressing needs are on D......and common sense would dictate that the better talent is in the earlier rounds.....I have faith though that TD can find the gems all throughout the draft...

It all boils down to this for me.....Dimitroff in one year has earned my respect and huge benefit of the doubt.

If Pettigrew is there and is who TD thinks is best for us at #24 then I'm going to support the crap out of the move........ ;)

It just appears that our more pressing needs are on D......and common sense would dictate that the better talent is in the earlier rounds.....I have faith though that TD can find the gems all throughout the draft...

well said

I just think that a few starters to upgrade our defense would make more of an impact that a TE. It's always been said that Mularkey prefers to leave the TE in to block a majority of the time, and we have a couple of good blocking TE, so I just don't believe we would get as much value out of a first rd TE as we would a good defensive player.

DE: abraham

UT: babs

NT: lewis

DE: anderson/davis

SLB: peterson

MLB: lofton

WLB: nicholas

CB: jackson

CB: houston

FS: coleman

SS: ?

bold = new starters

we have A blocker (hartsock) who doesn't have very good hands and a receiver (peelle) who isn't the greatest route runner/blocker. pettigrew can do both of those. neither of those guys bring to the table what pettigrew does. punishing blocker with soft hands. if mularkey had a weapon like him he'd find ways to get him more involved. we could line up in the slot (he'd be matched up on 5'10-6'1 180 lb nickel backs or linebackers) or we could line him up out wide (a 6'5 260 TE against a 5'10-6'1 180 lb corner). he'd create mismatches and he'd also help our run game and become ryan's safety valve so he wouldn't have to force so many passes to roddy.

again we'll have 6 other draft picks to find a backup NT, a starting SS, a future SLB. i'd be happy if we drafted pettigrew.

IMO there is no safety worth a first and there's a possibility all of the good OLBs will be gone by the time we pick....or at least the ones that would fit our system the best. the next best NT after raji would be brace, who is a 2nd round pick.

I think "We" the messageboard as a whole - thinks that none of the guys that were Falcons back-ups last year will step-up and be good starters this year - i'm not speaking for everyone - just throwing out my perception of the situation as one who is on these boards a lot. Going into 2008, the following positions are wide open:

NT

DE

WLB

SLB

CB

SS

Obviously that is greater than 50% of the positions up in the air - I will grant you that this is a LOT of positions to fill. However, I think Mike Smith and Thomas Dimitroff could be comfortable with some vets on the team stepping up to fill many of these positions - sure, Falcons will want to upgrade many of these positiions but I think Dimitroff/Smith will be very comfortable with some of the following guys:

NT- Trey Lewis

DE - Chauncey Davis

WLB - Stephen Nicholas

SLB - Mike Peterson

CB - Chevis Jackson

SS - Thomas DeCoud/Jamaal Fudge

No doubt we will be drafting many of these positions but that is a decent cast of characters above and many will be the solution...

I think "We" the messageboard as a whole - thinks that none of the guys that were Falcons back-ups last year will step-up and be good starters this year - i'm not speaking for everyone - just throwing out my perception of the situation as one who is on these boards a lot. Going into 2008, the following positions are wide open:

NT

DE

WLB

SLB

CB

SS

Obviously that is greater than 50% of the positions up in the air - I will grant you that this is a LOT of positions to fill. However, I think Mike Smith and Thomas Dimitroff could be comfortable with some vets on the team stepping up to fill many of these positions - sure, Falcons will want to upgrade many of these positiions but I think Dimitroff/Smith will be very comfortable with some of the following guys:

NT- Trey Lewis

DE - Chauncey Davis

WLB - Stephen Nicholas

SLB - Mike Peterson

CB - Chevis Jackson

SS - Thomas DeCoud/Jamaal Fudge

No doubt we will be drafting many of these positions but that is a decent cast of characters above and many will be the solution...

I agree with all of that, and I'm not in a panic about our defense at all like many of the whiney teens that post on here just to get attention. I'm just not convinced that Pettigrew would make more of an impact on our team than anyone else left on the board at 24. I don't believe that any TE will get much attention in Mularkey's system and a later round TE will able to do everything they need him to.

If they feel differently and draft him, then I would assume they intend to change Murlarkey's offense to accommodate a playmaker at TE, and I would be happy with that. As it stands, someone who gets 3-4 passes a game is not worth taking in the first round.

Remember DEFENSE wins championships, not offense!!

Guest Gritz

I will say this about the possibility of drafting Pettigrew.....

Having a talented TE like that running drag routes across the middle would not only provide a great outlet for Ryan but it would also dramatically open things up for Roddy, Jenkins and Douglas......... ;)

I agree with all of that, and I'm not in a panic about our defense at all like many of the whiney teens that post on here just to get attention. I'm just not convinced that Pettigrew would make more of an impact on our team than anyone else left on the board at 24. I don't believe that any TE will get much attention in Mularkey's system and a later round TE will able to do everything they need him to.

If they feel differently and draft him, then I would assume they intend to change Murlarkey's offense to accommodate a playmaker at TE, and I would be happy with that. As it stands, someone who gets 3-4 passes a game is not worth taking in the first round.

3 passes a game= 48 catches a year

4 passes a game= 64 catches a year

these are our leading receivers from last year:

White: 88 catches 1,382 yds 7 TD

Jenkins: 50 catches 777 yds 3 TD

Norwood: 36 catches 338 yds 2 TD

Douglas: 23 catches 320 yds 1 TD

Finn: 21 catches 169 yds 1 TD

ALL 3 TEs: 19 catches 211 yds 2 TD

pettigrew would help our offense in the redzone (we struggled getting passing TDs there last season). if pettigrew could bring in 50 catch-500 yd 5 TD seasons for us i'd be glad. look at who we had who had 50+ catches for us last year.

3 passes a game= 48 catches a year

4 passes a game= 64 catches a year

these are our leading receivers from last year:

White: 88 catches 1,382 yds 7 TD

Jenkins: 50 catches 777 yds 3 TD

Norwood: 36 catches 338 yds 2 TD

Douglas: 23 catches 320 yds 1 TD

Finn: 21 catches 169 yds 1 TD

ALL 3 TEs: 19 catches 211 yds 2 TD

pettigrew would help our offense in the redzone (we struggled getting passing TDs there last season). if pettigrew could bring in 50 catch-500 yd 5 TD seasons for us i'd be glad. look at who we had who had 50+ catches for us last year.

So it appears I over estimated. You are making my case for me. Would Pettigrew be worth less than 1 pass a game? Mularkey's TE never catch many passes and the blockers we have right now are fine. So could we get someone who would make more of an impact than one play a game?