What's the hype with tight ends

mossberg22

I don't understand the strong press for a great pass catching tight end. I can't see picking a TE early in the draft when we have so much that we need on D.

I mean can anyone tell me out of the top 15 TEs in the league how many have played for a championship team in the last 10 years?

I know a couple Dallas Clark, Heath Miller, and Jeremy Shockey(only because he was on the roster). Really only Dallas was a major part of the offense.

A tight end needs to know how to block first, especially in our offense. I would love to see us draft a great pass catching TE but only if we get lucky with a 4th or later pick. Too many needs not enough picks.

I am happy with what we have now, guys that can block and occasionally get open enough for a 1st down on short yardage.

a lot of people want a pass catching TE because the team struggled passing the ball when they got into the redzone last season. And since teams will be game planning to stop Turner this coming season it will be harder to have him pound the ball into the endzone. So people want a TE who can be a threat in the redzone and spread the field to get Roddy open and open lanes for Turner.

It takes more than just a TE to have a championship team but I can name you many championship teams that had great pass catching TE's . First let me say I think we need to draft defensive players with our first 3 picks and hope TD hits on all 3 of them but we need draft a TE in the later rounds. Here we go. Back in the mid to late 80's, the 49ers had Keith Long. He was a great pass catching TE and I know he won at least 3 of the 4 championships that Montana won. Also in the late 80's and early 90's the Giants had Mark Brovaro who was a great pass catching TE. He won 2 Super Bowls with them. Then the Cowboys in the early and mid 90's had Jay Novechek that was a great pass catching TE. He won 3 championships. Brett Favre had Bubba Franks and another guy that I can't remember his name. THey won 1 championship and lost one to Denver. Denver in the late 90's had Shannon Sharpe who won 2 championships. He won a 3rd with Baltimore. WE had OJ Santiogo when we went to the Super Bowl. The Patriots had the UGA TE. HIs name slips my mind right now. They won 3 out of 4. That's just a handful over the last 20 years of championship teams that had pass catching TE's that they relied on. Their is many more but I'd have to look at all the teams to remember. Even LJ smith was a big part of the Eagles 5 NFC championship games with one Super Bowl appearance. That's for all of you that hated him. It ism a very important part to a great offense. You can do it without one but it is so much easier to go all the way with one.

Most of TEs you mentioned most of the TEs you mentioned all were block first TEs. The list of champs that didn't have these flashy TEs is A LOT longer than the ones that do.

PLEASE everyone stop pushing these TEs so much.

A good coach will figure a way to score in the redzone without a big time TE.

Top TEs

1. Antonio Gates

2. Dallas Clark

3.Tony Gonzalez

4. Owen Daniels

5. Heath Miller

6. Chris Cooley

7. Todd Heap (healthy)

8. Kellen Winslow (healthy)

9. Bo Scaife

10. Tony Scheffler

I hope Antonio Gates somehow is mad at San Diego soon and we make a trade for him.

Nice list but only a couple of them have a ring, and only a couple off this list will ever have a ring.

Most of TEs you mentioned most of the TEs you mentioned all were block first TEs. The list of champs that didn't have these flashy TEs is A LOT longer than the ones that do.

Im ok with Justin Peele as a red zone threat, he's good enough to catch with ok speed.

Top TEs

1. Antonio Gates

2. Dallas Clark

3.Tony Gonzalez

4. Owen Daniels

5. Heath Miller

6. Chris Cooley

7. Todd Heap (healthy)

9. Bo Scaife

10. Tony Scheffler

I hope Antonio Gates somehow is mad at San Diego soon and we make a trade for him.

I hope he gets mad too. I would trade for him in a heart beat.

If you want an explanation of the value of a pass catching TE, look no further than the last pass the Falcons saw this season. On 3rd and 16, it wasn't Fitz or Q that beat us.

To a larger point, we are following the NE Patriots model, at least to some degree. Anyone who has watched the way they draft over the years is well aware of the value the finest football mind in the world, Bill Belichick, places on multi-dimensional TEs. In 2002, they spent a first round pick on a TE, Daniel Graham. In 2004, they turned around and did it again with Ben Watson. So, if you feel a first round pick is wasted on a TE, you're arguing against a guy with a large collection of Super Bowl rings. BTW, these weren't the only times they spent a first day pick on a TE, either. Even though they still had Graham and Watson at the time, they spent a third round pick on David Thomas in 2006. The TE position is crucial to playing keep away with the ball in the modern NFL.

Top TEs

1. Antonio Gates

2. Dallas Clark

3.Tony Gonzalez

4. Owen Daniels

5. Heath Miller

6. Chris Cooley

7. Todd Heap (healthy)

9. Bo Scaife

10. Tony Scheffler

You realize you forgot the best TE in the NFL.... Jason Witten...? He's probably the most complete TE in the league right now.

I just named TE's that played in 20 Super Bowls and none of them were block first TE's. I watched everyone of them with my own eyes and they were big time go over the middle pass catching TE's. Most of them were good blockers too but all of them were great pass catching TE's. That's 20 Super Bowls in just over 20 years. That's almost every year that a team that played in the Super bowl had a great pass catching TE. It can be done without one but it is a lot easier to have an unstoppable offense with one. I forgot to add Dallas Clark. He won one too and is a huge part in the Colts offense being unstoppable. Even though they have slowed down but he along with other key players have been hurt the last few years. These are just the ones I know. Believe me when I tell you if you get someone older than I am he will be able to go further in history and tell you many more great pass catching TE's. I do think it is important to not just be a pass catching TE though. A great TE needs to be able to block to so they can stay on the field to keep a defense off balance. Last but not least, a great pass catching TE keeps the attention of safeties and LB's therefore keeping the defense playing honest. That threat helps the running game and passing game.