Hawks win sixth straight

Unknøwn

ATLANTA (AP) - Al Horford had 23 points and 12 rebounds, and Josh Smith finished with 21 points and 10 rebounds in the Atlanta Hawks' sixth straight victory, 119-97 over the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday night.

Improving to 26-7 at home, the Hawks are 40-28 overall, their highest win total since 1997-98. They moved three games ahead of fifth-place Miami in the Eastern Conference.

Kevin Martin scored 31 for Sacramento, which fell to 0-27 against teams from the East and extended its losing streak to four. The Kings have dropped four straight and 13 of 14 away from California, where they are 4-30 this season.

Horford overcame a hard fall on his right hip after Spencer Hawes fouled him early in the fourth quarter. Despite lying face-down on the floor for a few seconds and seeming to shiver, Horford arose and hit the ensuing free throws.

He stayed in the game a few more minutes before coach Mike Woodson began sitting his starters.

Joe Johnson finished with 20 points for the Hawks, ending his four-game stretch of 30 or more after missing his first eight attempts from the field and finishing 8-for-21.

All of Atlanta's six consecutive wins have come at home. The seven-game homestand ends after Dallas visits on Thursday, but after playing Saturday at Cleveland, the Hawks will have four more at Philips Arena against Minnesota, San Antonio, Boston and the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Kings' starting lineup of Andres Nocioni, Jason Thompson, Hawes, Martin and Beno Udrih was their 22nd this season. Their biggest lead was 10 points midway through the first, but Atlanta never trailed after Zaza Pachulia's layup midway through the second.

Dude needs to rework his whole jumper..it looks like azz.

i think it would be better granny style. he is shoot opposite granny style. joe needs to just work with him over the year. i think he gets a better jumper or at least better with his jumper. dude would be beastly and on an elite level.

Sports Illustrated says the Hawks could become cash strapped enought to move Smith in the off-season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...dson/index.html

i think this is proof that we need to keep smith and let go off woodson. why would you try to make into a shawn marion, when he could be a lebron type player. I say get a new coach, and move him to SF, then Horford to PF, and get a C in the Draft. also when does speedy money stop flowing??

We have 15 games left and most of them are against the best in the league. I'll be happy with a 8-7 finish, that would have us at 47-35. The hawks goal is 50 wins which means they need to go 10-5, with the Mavs, the Magic, the Spurs, the Lakers, the Cavs (in Cleveland) and two games against Boston that's a tall order.

Guest Regular Guy
i think it would be better granny style. he is shoot opposite granny style. joe needs to just work with him over the year. i think he gets a better jumper or at least better with his jumper. dude would be beastly and on an elite level.

He takes WAAAAAYYYYYY too long to get his shot off, it's like a windup in baseball!

We have 15 games left and most of them are against the best in the league. I'll be happy with a 8-7 finish, that would have us at 47-35. The hawks goal is 50 wins which means they need to go 10-5, with the Mavs, the Magic, the Spurs, the Lakers, the Cavs (in Cleveland) and two games against Boston that's a tall order.

You got to remember, alot of those games are at home, so I think we have pretty good odds! I say let Marvin get his back in order....I'm happy with how we're playing w/o him and I think we're going to be a tough team for anybody coming down the stretch! We are peaking at the right time.

He takes WAAAAAYYYYYY too long to get his shot off, it's like a windup in baseball!

You got to remember, alot of those games are at home, so I think we have pretty good odds! I say let Marvin get his back in order....I'm happy with how we're playing w/o him and I think we're going to be a tough team for anybody coming down the stretch! We are peaking at the right time.

thats because woodson wants to make him a shawn marion type player, when we run a half court team, and smith wants to be a traditional player with a good 3pt shot. i Bet its pretty hard to get a good jumper, when you coach does not want to teach it to you. man think about josh for the next 5 years with a jumper, blocking skills, and athleticism. dude would be a Beast and Lead this team.

thats because woodson wants to make him a shawn marion type player, when we run a half court team, and smith wants to be a traditional player with a good 3pt shot. i Bet its pretty hard to get a good jumper, when you coach does not want to teach it to you. man think about josh for the next 5 years with a jumper, blocking skills, and athleticism. dude would be a Beast and Lead this team.

In all fairness to Woodson (and everybody knows I can't stand him). If Josh Smith wants to be able to be that type of player then he needs to spend his summer developing a mid to long range game like Marvin did this past summer. Plus he needs to work on his free throw shooting. Maybe Woodson is trying to mold him into a Shawn Marion type player because he realizes Josh's current limitations.

In all fairness to Woodson (and everybody knows I can't stand him). If Josh Smith wants to be able to be that type of player then he needs to spend his summer developing a mid to long range game like Marvin did this past summer. Plus he needs to work on his free throw shooting. Maybe Woodson is trying to mold him into a Shawn Marion type player because he realizes Josh's current limitations.

i dont think it limitations more as woodson is not the kind of coach that can inspire his players to work harder or push his players. josh smith can be a drama queen, and probably wants his coach to be the one to help him out with his jumper. he looks like he is getting better with his jumper. i mean he had the 3pt shot last night that looked clean. dude has potential and with the right coach this team could be Champs.

i dont think it limitations more as woodson is not the kind of coach that can inspire his players to work harder or push his players. josh smith can be a drama queen, and probably wants his coach to be the one to help him out with his jumper. he looks like he is getting better with his jumper. i mean he had the 3pt shot last night that looked clean. dude has potential and with the right coach this team could be Champs.

Well that I agree with, one thing I've noticed is that the guys really just ignore Woodson. I see him talking to them and they walk right by him and don't even look at him. During timeouts when he is scribbling on his little board most of the guys are looking around and not paying attention. Bottom line is Woodson is a horrible coach and I think the players realize that and have very little respect for him. We have enough talent to be right there with the Celtics, Cavs and Magic but we need a coach like Flip Saunders, Eddie Jordan, or Avery Johnson who can get us over the hump.

Well that I agree with, one thing I've noticed is that the guys really just ignore Woodson. I see him talking to them and they walk right by him and don't even look at him. During timeouts when he is scribbling on his little board most of the guys are looking around and not paying attention. Bottom line is Woodson is a horrible coach and I think the players realize that and have very little respect for him. We have enough talent to be right there with the Celtics, Cavs and Magic but we need a coach like Flip Saunders, Eddie Jordan, or Avery Johnson who can get us over the hump.

if we could afford one of those, then we would have a champ. i think that is why we are so good though. players are coaching themselves, and letting talent win the games. if we had a good game planner, then we could win a champ easy or atlest be like the pistons and make it to the finals/ EC finals like every year.