C Houston at F.S.

RyansHope

We all have read or had the misfortune of seeing Houston get torched and picked on game after game after game :wacko: He has great speed but cant turn to save his life,( Note to Houston "DUDE IT'S NOT A FOOT RACE BUT FOOTBALL") i can't tell you how many games i sat at that dome and pull my hair out last year because this guy wouldn't even make a effort to turn his freaking head. so i was curious if he were put at F.S. or S.S. the play would always be in front of him. Couldn't hurt right? plus with that speed we would have great range were it counts.

We all have read or had the misfortune of seeing Houston get torched and picked on game after game after game :wacko: He has great speed but cant turn to save his life,( Note to Houston "DUDE IT'S NOT A FOOT RACE BUT FOOTBALL") i can't tell you how many games i sat at that dome and pull my hair out last year because this guy wouldn't even make a effort to turn his freaking head. so i was curious if he were put at F.S. or S.S. the play would always be in front of him. Couldn't hurt right? plus with that speed we would have great range were it counts.

i think if he could play S for us then he would have the skills to be a good CB for us as well. in other words, i highly doubt he could make that switch.

It sounds good and we all know he has got the strength. I think the problem with moving him there is that he really isn't a ball-hawk. It does make sense to put every play in front of him since his obvious weakness is coverage down field. And we know he can help in run support.

Maybe depending on the guys we bring in, they may try him there, but i just think after 2 years of getting support from a S, he may not be too good at providing it himself. Leave him there, he's got all the tools he just hasn't flourished yet. Look at Foxy, he didn't really show great progression until his 5th year and now he may be anchoring the Ravens.

It sounds good and we all know he has got the strength. I think the problem with moving him there is that he really isn't a ball-hawk. It does make sense to put every play in front of him since his obvious weakness is coverage down field. And we know he can help in run support.

Maybe depending on the guys we bring in, they may try him there, but i just think after 2 years of getting support from a S, he may not be too good at providing it himself. Leave him there, he's got all the tools he just hasn't flourished yet. Look at Foxy, he didn't really show great progression until his 5th year and now he may be anchoring the Ravens.

Very Good point Sir.

Chris Houston is not as bad as you guys try to make him. It is only his second year and he we had no pass rush besides John Abraham

i dont think houston is a bad player, just not necessarily the right fit for our D. as for the question of can he be a S, both positions on this D are schemed similarly: downhill attackers, keeping the play in front, making plays on the ball, and aggressively supporting the run. houston is a great man-coverage player who has shown little in the way of zone play, is not overly willing in run support, and does not have the best ball skills (ints). i hope he can show more this year, and of course a better pass rush will help. if not i would have no problem putting him on the block next year and see who bites.

He doesn't have the skill-set. Not that he is a terrible tackler, but I shudder at the thought of him coming up in run support.

He isn't a ball hawk, and never had great ball skills. His biggest advantage coming out of college was his ability to stick to his man in coverage very well, and his ability to jam players at the LOS.

no way ...Houston is the best corner on our roster atm, everyone said oh d hall is great bla bla bla... in 2 yrs C Houston has never been Torched the way T Owens Torched D Hall, he gave up a few big plays but he was always right there in postion...FO please bring in D Sharper to stop all this talk of a corner at saftey , for 1 yr anyway...

There has been no evidence that houston even wants to tackle anyone!

he wiffs at so many RBs and TEs.

He is not aggressive enough to play SS.

He may be OK at FS. He has the tools to play FS but I don't know if he has the football IQ and the ball skills to play there.

I don't think this will happen but it's really not that bad of an idea. Chris is very strong and a pretty good tackler. I quoted you because I wanted to make a point about why he isn't a ballhawk. He isn't a ballhawk because he never gets his head turned around. He's a bit out of position to make plays on the ball as a CB. The reason I think he could be a ballhawk as a S is because he can catch. If the play is in front of him I think he has a better chance of going and getting the ball. He has great speed for a S and he is good enough of a cover guy for the safety position. I think he would be a FS but I doubt they are even thinking of this option. Maybe Deion can teach him how to get into better position to get his head around to make a play on the ball. Rarely is he just beat. He just never sees the ball. I think he'll be alright.

another kid who bumped his head. Yeah lets give him more responsibility!

There has been no evidence that houston even wants to tackle anyone!

he wiffs at so many RBs and TEs.

He is not aggressive enough to play SS.

He may be OK at FS. He has the tools to play FS but I don't know if he has the football IQ and the ball skills to play there.

i cant stand people who have a high post count and are obviously dumb

It's kind of hard to be a ball hawk when the opposing QB has 10 minutes in the box every play. He'll continue to improve and I think he will be a beast in another year or two.

True, our #1 goal should be to improve the pass rush from last year. We are very lucky our defense was even as good as they were because of the lack of a pass rush. TD and Smitty will get us better. Wait and see.