Nose Tackle Prospects

MattM12

Thought i would take the time to do a bit of research and was pleasantly surprised to find that what the DT class lacks in standout players, it makes up for with low round projects who could end up being very special.

Ziggy Hood

I think we all know this guy, but depending on what we do with trading he could be possible to get in the 2nd.

After doing some research, the standout "athlete" is definitely Ziggy, the guy is a workout warrior, but character wise and tenacity he checks out very well. Not the best numbers, but has the strength to start day 1.

SLH

We all know mr Hill as well, but what has to be said about him is 329pound frame was used alot at DE last year to prevent him getting doubled, which says alot about him in terms of potential to be an impact player. I like this guy alot, and don't think it is a reach to take him in the 4th. 15.5 tfl and 7.5 sacks, as well as 7 pass breakups, this guy is an athlete. Great upside, the ultimate project DT for us.

Terrance Knighton

at 6'3, he carries the 321 powerfully like SLH(6'4), and is also a great prospect for our 4-3 SLH and Knighton word work very well in rotation with trey and Babs, with both of them having good size and athleticism. Knighton is a great sleeper, a low rd steal.

Roy Miller

Slightly lighter at 310, but he is a squatter player at 6'1. Coming from the steallar Longhorns program it has been said that he could of been carried by surrounding talent, but he shows good technique at the line with a powerful squat build. He player 49 games which brings could experience but potential durability negatives.

Another project, but could work out nicely in a low round

Myron Prior

Definite low rounder due to his lack of height and small system. Once again like Miller questioned as a stand out player, but has 20.5 tfl as well as 11 sacks. he may even go undrafted, so we could bring him in to look at him.

Based on the above and countless amounts of other knowledge, who are we going to pick up?

My Prediction:

I am half thinking we trade out for extra picks, which could make it possible to pick up Ziggy in the mid 2nd, but i wouldnt hold my breath.

What i do see to be reasonable is to pick up SLH in the 4th, and Knighton with one of our 5ths.

Thoughts?

I think "Ziggy" will be a late 1st rounder, as he seems to be the best 43 UT/NT prospect available (Raji will be a bust-based on reports about his football IQ and potential top 10 draft status, Jerry is just not as strong and/or explosive).

SLH has seen his stock rise tremendously in the last several months, especiially thanks to a solid performance at last months combine. I think he will be long gone by our 3rd round pick, due mainly to the plethora of teams switching to a 34 scheme this season and drooling over SLHs potential as a DE in that scheme (Denver, Green Bay, Kansas City, and Arizona).

Knighton is my sleeper pick late in the draft, as you said possibly with one of our 5th rounders. Here's a writeup on him:

Terrance Knighton, NT, Temple 6'3" 323 lbs.

NFL Analysis: Knighton's large body and fair athleticism are coveted by NFL scouts. Teams looking for a one-gap 4-3 nose tackle will be most interested in Knighton. Good height, length and girth for his position. ... Better-than-expected straight-line speed and change-of-direction ability, able to sniff out and disrupt screen plays. ... Will chase plays downfield. ... Strong upfield rush, either up the shoulder of his defender or splitting double teams. ... Uses his long arms to wrap up in the open field or track down ballcarriers coming through the hole. ... Flashes violent hands, especially when his man retreats off the snap in passing situations. ... Active knocking down passes and blocking field goals because of his push, arm length and large hands. ... Keeps cut blocks off his knees. ... Athletic enough to quickly jump on loose balls and get down quickly in short-yardage situations.

My Take: Knighton would provide a great depth pick-up to ensure that we aren't left hanging if Trey Lewis' knee can't hold up. Seems like the big, long armed playmaker that Ray Hamilton likes on the defensive line, one he could teach to use his long arms and strong hands to keep offensive linemen from getting inside/under his pads.

Another name, with a similarly long armed big body frame (though not nearly as heavy or athletic) is NT Corvey Irving from UGA. I played against this guy in high school, and believe me, he's one of those types of kids who is just a star. He isn't flashy, and doesn't wow you with any of his measurables, but he sure can play.

Thought i would take the time to do a bit of research and was pleasantly surprised to find that what the DT class lacks in standout players, it makes up for with low round projects who could end up being very special.

Ziggy Hood

I think we all know this guy, but depending on what we do with trading he could be possible to get in the 2nd.

After doing some research, the standout "athlete" is definitely Ziggy, the guy is a workout warrior, but character wise and tenacity he checks out very well. Not the best numbers, but has the strength to start day 1.

SLH

We all know mr Hill as well, but what has to be said about him is 329pound frame was used alot at DE last year to prevent him getting doubled, which says alot about him in terms of potential to be an impact player. I like this guy alot, and don't think it is a reach to take him in the 4th. 15.5 tfl and 7.5 sacks, as well as 7 pass breakups, this guy is an athlete. Great upside, the ultimate project DT for us.

Terrance Knighton

at 6'3, he carries the 321 powerfully like SLH(6'4), and is also a great prospect for our 4-3 SLH and Knighton word work very well in rotation with trey and Babs, with both of them having good size and athleticism. Knighton is a great sleeper, a low rd steal.

Roy Miller

Slightly lighter at 310, but he is a squatter player at 6'1. Coming from the steallar Longhorns program it has been said that he could of been carried by surrounding talent, but he shows good technique at the line with a powerful squat build. He player 49 games which brings could experience but potential durability negatives.

Another project, but could work out nicely in a low round

Myron Prior

Definite low rounder due to his lack of height and small system. Once again like Miller questioned as a stand out player, but has 20.5 tfl as well as 11 sacks. he may even go undrafted, so we could bring him in to look at him.

Based on the above and countless amounts of other knowledge, who are we going to pick up?

My Prediction:

I am half thinking we trade out for extra picks, which could make it possible to pick up Ziggy in the mid 2nd, but i wouldnt hold my breath.

What i do see to be reasonable is to pick up SLH in the 4th, and Knighton with one of our 5ths.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the info, i did not know about T. Knighton, he sounds like a good prospect. I think that this draft has some solid prospects that may not start but could be effective in rotation with Lewis/Babs/JA98. I also think that Mryon Pryor is a solid prospest too, he has a good combine, I think he will be drafted though and i have heard as early as the 3rd round.

wow Pryor as high as the 3rd u think?

Dan you make a great point about SLH playing DE in a 3-4.

Could be a shame, would of loved to have seen him plug the middle in our scheme, and obviously would of done well at end in Quarter packages etc

wow Pryor as high as the 3rd u think?

Dan you make a great point about SLH playing DE in a 3-4.

Could be a shame, would of loved to have seen him plug the middle in our scheme, and obviously would of done well at end in Quarter packages etc

YOu say would have loved like we are not going to draft him.

Myron Pryor or Roy Miller for me. Both EXCEL at stuffing the run and that is what we need right now.

Pryor could be a late round steal because he has shown the ability to collapse the pocket and sack the QB. He has been given the tag of the "hardest player in College Football to move." He DEMANDS double teams and can be a good contributor.

Roy Miller is a pure run stuffer, but he does that at a high level. I would take either one, but I would prefer Pryor in the 4th or 5th.

Myron Pryor or Roy Miller for me. Both EXCEL at stuffing the run and that is what we need right now.

Pryor could be a late round steal because he has shown the ability to collapse the pocket and sack the QB. He has been given the tag of the "hardest player in College Football to move." He DEMANDS double teams and can be a good contributor.

Roy Miller is a pure run stuffer, but he does that at a high level. I would take either one, but I would prefer Pryor in the 4th or 5th.

i like the idea of taking two DTs in the draft, and believe that a couple of the mentioned will fall to the lower rounds, where we will be getting good project depth at DT OLB and OL imo

i love terrance knighton, roy miller and i also like nader abdallah.

knightons problem is leverage. he doesnt play low and use his size and strength to his advantage. i still dont know how easy it would be to coach a player up on keeping his pad level down, but if i ever figure it out it will help me out a lot. in any event, if the idea of coaching him up to do that is reasonable then he could be a huge steal here. hes clearly proud of his work ethic and in an interview at the combine he talked about how he had to work hard and on top of that impress at the Texas vs. The Nation all star game to even go to the combine. so hes got the work ethic and if hes coachable then he very well could be a steal for us. he might not give us a big pass rush, but he definitely would help us versus the run and he'd contribute to the NT rotation. we need serious depth there and i dont think we will have a shot at ron brace in round 2 even if we wanted to spend that high of a draft pick on a one dimensional NT. i dont think we do, but the point is moot if hes off the board by pick #55.

roy miller is another one dimensional run stuffer but i love the idea of grabbin him in round 5 or so. he is the kind of high effort/all hustle player i think TD and Coach Smith would love to have and always seem to target. he is very strong (36 reps at 225 at the combine) and stout, plays with good leverage and is almost unmovable even against double teams. hes not a pass rusher by any means but he hustles, contributes on special teams and even plays as a fullback or lead blocker on goal line sets for the longhorns. he is a team player and id love to bring him in as depth at NT.

and nader abdallah i like also. he has the frame to add some weight (6'4", 294) but i dont think has as consistent of a motor as someone like miller. hes great at the point of attack though and he demonstrated a better motor as a senior. hes not very athletic but hes strong at the point of attack and was the best run stuffer for the buckeyes this year. hes another guy i like as potential NT depth.

-Mr. Offseason

i love terrance knighton, roy miller and i also like nader abdallah.

knightons problem is leverage. he doesnt play low and use his size and strength to his advantage. i still dont know how easy it would be to coach a player up on keeping his pad level down, but if i ever figure it out it will help me out a lot. in any event, if the idea of coaching him up to do that is reasonable then he could be a huge steal here. hes clearly proud of his work ethic and in an interview at the combine he talked about how he had to work hard and on top of that impress at the Texas vs. The Nation all star game to even go to the combine. so hes got the work ethic and if hes coachable then he very well could be a steal for us. he might not give us a big pass rush, but he definitely would help us versus the run and he'd contribute to the NT rotation. we need serious depth there and i dont think we will have a shot at ron brace in round 2 even if we wanted to spend that high of a draft pick on a one dimensional NT. i dont think we do, but the point is moot if hes off the board by pick #55.

roy miller is another one dimensional run stuffer but i love the idea of grabbin him in round 5 or so. he is the kind of high effort/all hustle player i think TD and Coach Smith would love to have and always seem to target. he is very strong (36 reps at 225 at the combine) and stout, plays with good leverage and is almost unmovable even against double teams. hes not a pass rusher by any means but he hustles, contributes on special teams and even plays as a fullback or lead blocker on goal line sets for the longhorns. he is a team player and id love to bring him in as depth at NT.

and nader abdallah i like also. he has the frame to add some weight (6'4", 294) but i dont think has as consistent of a motor as someone like miller. hes great at the point of attack though and he demonstrated a better motor as a senior. hes not very athletic but hes strong at the point of attack and was the best run stuffer for the buckeyes this year. hes another guy i like as potential NT depth.

-Mr. Offseason

What do you think of Myron Pryor? I can see him as a starting NT in a few years. He is a hard guy to move as well and he has racked up 11 sacks in his career. He gets a lot of Penetration and racked up over 20 TFL's. I think he is a John Henderson clone who hasn't got the recognition he deserves. He is already a solid 320 lbs and I would be willing to give him a try in the 3rd or later.

I just got done watching some Pryor videos and I am impressed. I agree with Hakim and his description, and wouldn't mind picking him up.

If we grabbed a pure NT like SLH, Pryor, Knighton, Baker, or even Miller, then I'd be happy.

just say NO to Terrence Taylor though.

i really like this DT class, eeveryone is quick to get annoyed because Raji is gone ;)

love the people on the forums who actually watch tape and research!!

Offseason, Atown, Hakim, Norwood, awesome thread guys, im gonna go check out abdallah

i really like this DT class, eeveryone is quick to get annoyed because Raji is gone ;)

love the people on the forums who actually watch tape and research!!

Offseason, Atown, Hakim, Norwood, awesome thread guys, im gonna go check out abdallah

Thank you, man! I try to act like I'm the GM of the Falcons and that would be my dream to be Dimitroff's intern, ha.

Check out Chris Baker as well.

Could not let this thread die. Was reading Wyches article on small school prospects and saw this guy.

09a.jpg

Vaughn Martin 6-3, 331 pounds

Draft scout has him with a

5.00 40yd.

33 bench 225

31 vert

Here is a link to a bio/profile

http://vaughnmartin.com/NFL_Draft_Scout_Report.html

Still researching him but he looks tempting sofar. Anyone else got info on him.