As it looks we are not signing L.J. Smith,,,,so is a 3rd rounder really too high for Shawn Nelson?

JT

Personally Im glad we are not getiing L.J. smith but I know we are going to get somebody at tight end. I like Shawn Nelson and a bunch of other tight ends in this draft but so what is the possibility's of us drafting him in the third round? An if we did are we really going to be mad?

.........oh yeah I do like alot of tight ends in this draft class but lets face it pettigrew is worth a first rounder, just not for us. we definitely wont be getiing this guy. an all the rest of the guys are mainly pass catching tight ends including Nelson but to me he's the best blocker in out of the whole group! (next to pettigrew anyways)

.............so let me know ATL! Shawn Nelson too high for a third round pick? An if we picked him are we upset?

No your lucky if he lasts to the 3rd round. From most mock sites i visit he has been going in the 2nd round alot lately. Alot of times he is going in the 2nd to us which i am quite happy with if some of the other guys i like are gone. He is my 2nd favorite TE in the draft.

He will most likely be a Falcon

I think that Nelson may last until the 3rd, especially with Cook and Casey having a good Combine, but we may have to get him in the second. Nelson seems like he has the greatest potential to be a complete TE that can block and stretch the field. I think that his Senior Season really helped improve his blocking. TD must have seen something in Nelson that made then decide not sign L.J.

I would be happy with Nelson or Cook in the 2nd. I would also be happy with Ingram, Coffman, or Casey in the 3rd. I wouldn't really complain about Beckum in the 4th or 5th, either.

And I would not be at all surprised if we took Pettigrew in the 1st, or traded down a bit and took him. He's a dominant possession TE. Was just looking at some film of him earlier, and he def. plays a bit faster than a 4.85, and catches everything that comes near him. I think he could be a better Heath Miller, or something like that. He is NOT Jason Witten, he doesn't have that kind of downfield speed, but I could still see him being a prowbowl caliber player. I wouldn't be upset at all with him in the 1st.

Pro Football Weekly projects him as a 5th rounder. Who do you scout for? Pro Football Weakly or No Football Weekly

If you are just going to trust one source of information for your Football knowlegde then I am wondering who do you scout for? I have seen him being draft between the 2nd or 3rd. Dustin Keller was a 1st round pick last year and what makes Nelson much different from Keller. Pro Football probably hasn't updated their rankings after the combine.

If you are just going to trust one source of information for your Football knowlegde then I am wondering who do you scout for? I have seen him being draft between the 2nd or 3rd. Dustin Keller was a 1st round pick last year and what makes Nelson much different from Keller. Pro Football probably has updated their rankings after the combine.

The fact that you are getting so ruffled about my opinion suggests you have some kind of man-crush on Shawn Nelson. Please try to be objective before you criticize others thoughts and ideas

The fact that you are getting so ruffled about my opinion suggests you have some kind of man-crush on Shawn Nelson. Please try to be objective before you criticize others thoughts and ideas

I would like for the Falcons to explore the option of getting Nelson, but may basis of judging Nelson is his Combine and Senior Bowl Practices (Which is important to the people actually making the Draft decisions) you can even throw in his college production. My opinion is objective, I wouldnt use the word critiize, I was just joking with you, maybe i forgot to put a smiley face after i said what i said, but i do disagree with you.

Pro Football Weekly projects him as a 5th rounder. Who do you scout for? Pro Football Weakly or No Football Weekly

Pro Football Weekly has one of the worst draft mags. I buy it every year and shake my head at how wrong they are. I remember they had Brady Quinn listed as a 5 rounder.

Pro Football Weekly has one of the worst draft mags. I buy it every year and shake my head at how wrong they are. I remember they had Brady Quinn listed as a 5 rounder.

I believe you are thinking of Sporting news. PFW is one of the best, and my personal favorite. That said, if they have Nelson in the 5th, they are wrong.

I think we may have to use a 2nd to get him. Even that may not be enough with our current pick in round 2.

Honestly, I wondered why before the college season ended he was not talked about more. I still think he is the best overall TE in this class. No he may not be a big time blocker like Pettigrew, however, he proved at the Senior Bowl he is a capable blocker and is willing and able to get better. His receiving skills are without question. If he went late in round 1 I would not be surprised.

I think we may have to use a 2nd to get him. Even that may not be enough with our current pick in round 2.

Honestly, I wondered why before the college season ended he was not talked about more. I still think he is the best overall TE in this class. No he may not be a big time blocker like Pettigrew, however, he proved at the Senior Bowl he is a capable blocker and is willing and able to get better. His receiving skills are without question. If he went late in round 1 I would not be surprised.

agreed..............100%

I believe you are thinking of Sporting news. PFW is one of the best, and my personal favorite. That said, if they have Nelson in the 5th, they are wrong.

Your right my bad, I went and looked at it once I got home yesterday. It was Sporting news, in anycase NFL Draft Scout has him listed as a 3 rounder and Scott Wright of Draft Countdown (one of the best) has him going in the second in his mocks.