Comparison of Jenkins and White....

ki46dinah

2004 was an interesting WR draft class b/c there were 7 WR's taken in the 1st round alone.

15 of 30 total WR's recorded statistics last season.

Michael Jenkins

taken 6th out of 30 WR's overall in the draft

77 games played - ranks 3rd out of 30 WR's

185 receptions - ranks 8th out of 30

2372 yards - ranks 7th out of 30

17 TD's - ranks 7th out of 30

12.3 YPC

Mike doesnt far so bad in his draft position....only 2 WR's taken after him have had 'better' statistical careers,

Jericho Cotchery and Bernard Berrian....and only 2 other WR's have had even close careers, Patrick Crayton and Devery Henderson.

Of the 5 WR's taken BEFORE Jenkins, 3 have had far superior careers to date, and 2 have been worse(Reggie Williams and Michael Clayton)

The 2005 WR class was not quite as strong, with only 12 of 31 WR's taken recording stats last season...and none of those 12 were taken later than the 3rd round.

Roddy White

taken 6th out of 31 WR's in the draft(eerily similar to Jenkins)

64 games played - 1st out of all 31 WR's

230 receptions - 1st out of 31

3536 yards - 2nd out of 31

16 TD's - 4th out of 31

15.4 YPC

Besides Braylon Edwards, White has about 1000 receiving yards on the next closest WR. And unlike Edwards, White hasnt been in the top 5 WR's for dropped passes over the last 4 seasons. So far it looks like White has been the best WR to come out in 2005...so props to McKay for that one. Hopefully as Ryan matures his numbers will only improve.

I'm still not completely convinced of that. I know he's great, but I'm not sure that he's the awesome, game-breaking, elite WR. I'd still take Calvin Johnson over him.

I would too but only because of break away speed. I will say this, there has been a lot of great receivers with great hands come through the league but I'm not sure of one that is better than him. He's is so strong at the point of attack and he always catches the ball at it's highest point like your supposed to do. If he was faster then I'd have to say he'd easily be the best.

White is great and a sure #1 for years to come. Jenkins is the MOST clutch player we have. I could eventually see Harry Douglas blowing up and the Falcons using Jenkins as the #3 WR merely because he is SOOOO clutch on 3rd and passing downs while HD and White are more "play makers" if that makes sense....

I know we haven't seen much of him but I see Laurent blowing up too. Then everything you said.

there may be better combos at 1 and 2 say Fitz and Bolden , but i dont think anyone can field a better 4 and 5 wide set than the Atlanta Falcons, White Jenkins Robinson Douglas and Finn thats a very deep Group probably the deepest in the NFL

Yea, I never thought about it but yea. Your right. That is a very deep group. Just to think a few years ago they were thought to be the joke of the NFL.

there may be better combos at 1 and 2 say Fitz and Bolden , but i dont think anyone can field a better 4 and 5 wide set than the Atlanta Falcons, White Jenkins Robinson Douglas and Finn thats a very deep Group probably the deepest in the NFL

I've been saying this for quite some time now...

Our receiver core is arguably the strongest core in the NFL...we just needed the right guy behind center to show it.

White is great and a sure #1 for years to come. Jenkins is the MOST clutch player we have. I could eventually see Harry Douglas blowing up and the Falcons using Jenkins as the #3 WR merely because he is SOOOO clutch on 3rd and passing downs while HD and White are more "play makers" if that makes sense....

Who would have thought Jenkins and clutch would be in the same sentence? :D I never really liked Jenkins, not really sure why :huh: but he definitely showed up last year and I never will forget that last second catch he made.

Good work, ki46dinah......... Interesting stuff..... Should be interesting to see where HD ranks among the WR's taken last year....

With White, Jenkins and Harry Douglas, I think we have some great young WR's who are all young and gifted, each brings something different to the table, and all 3 should be around for a while, developing chemistry with Matty Ice......... Factor in The Burner and our O-Line, our offense should be in great shape for years to come.... :) All we need is CONSISTENCY. Keep the same coaches, players, schemes, etc. in place and let these guys gel into one of the best offenses in the NFL.....

im glad we drafted them but i wasnt crazy about the picks back then. i eager to see what we can this yr with the whole WR corp. our O is going to be sick!!

I was excited when we moved up and took Michael Jenkins..... remember, that was the year they said there were 5 or 6 WR's in that draft who would be Top Ten picks in any other draft.... Jenkins was the last of those highly-touted prospects, and at 6'4" (remember how much Vick liked big targets at the time, as he had the tendency to let alot of balls sail high at 150 mph) I was very excited that we moved up and made that pick.....

As for Roddy White, get my plate of crow ready.................. Gotta be honest........... I thought FOR SURE we were going DL (end or tackle), and I was big on the Cody's (Shaun Cody and Dan Cody) :lol: I screamed at the screen when we went WR.... As I read more about him I started to warm up to him a little, but I gotta admit.... I did not like the pick at the time....

As for the guys I wanted, I don't think Dan Cody is even in the NFL anymore, and Shaun Cody is being cut loose by an.......I mean, THE 0-16 team.........

That is why I (well, all of us knuckleheads ;) ) watch the picks in our living rooms, not the War Room on draft day.... :)

It was just having watched the Falcons draft SO MANY bust WR's, (and McKay didn't have a great history taking WR's in the 1st at Tampa)...... I truly thought Roddy would be average, at best.....................