Wait till next year philisophy.

Am I the only one who thinks that this is bull. I have been hearing that as an argument as to why we should not go for a round 1 DT or Safety. I have to disagree. We need to get players in at positions of need now so that our staff can develop them for the future. We do not no the draft order next year we do not know what other teams will need we do not even know what we will need. We cannot bank on next years draft class. I think we have a couple of freeagents coming up that are important to our team we may need to find replacements for them. Maybe I am just overreacting but in the words of Apollo Creed "there is no tomorrow" we better keep making the best of the opportunities we are given. We can not bank on future unknowns. The wait for next year argument sucks,

I am not saying that we should go after one of these positions but the best player at a position of need philosophy is what I go with. If it be DT, Safety, or whatever.

Am I the only one who thinks that this is bull. I have been hearing that as an argument as to why we should not go for a round 1 DT or Safety. I have to disagree. We need to get players in at positions of need now so that our staff can develop them for the future. We do not no the draft order next year we do not know what other teams will need we do not even know what we will need. We cannot bank on next years draft class. I think we have a couple of freeagents coming up that are important to our team we may need to find replacements for them. Maybe I am just overreacting but in the words of Apollo Creed "there is no tomorrow" we better keep making the best of the opportunities we are given. We can not bank on future unknowns. The wait for next year argument sucks,

I am not saying that we should go after one of these positions but the best player at a position of need philosophy is what I go with. If it be DT, Safety, or whatever.

I dont agree with the whole wait til next year thing, but i dont think that we need draft a safety in round 1. The DT that would be a good fit maybe gone when we pick at 24 so no need to reach. I think that Decoud will start at FS, if he is ready and Coleman will be serviceable at SS, and we may draft his replacement this year or next year.

I dont agree with the whole wait til next year thing, but i dont think that we need draft a safety in round 1. The DT that would be a good fit maybe gone when we pick at 24 so no need to reach. I think that Decoud will start at FS, if he is ready and Coleman will be serviceable at SS, and we may draft his replacement this year or next year.

That is cool and I also would like to see what Decoud can do. Then instead of having a true need for a safety we would be drafting for depth. I am not sure we have reached the Patriot/Steeler status where we can use a 1st round choice for depth. The reaching comment hit me a little hard because all I heard last year was how our first 2 picks were thought of as reaches. The Baker pick makes me think of William Moore. A guy that had a mid first grade but was supposed to be a second round pick do to an injury filled and lackluster senior season. Not that I am pulling for Moore but TD proved last year that he does not care were the analyst have guys ranked when he see's talent. I also think Jerry and Hood could both be there at 24.

Who is saying we won't use the "best player at a position of need philosophy" in the draft? This draft hasn't happened yet, or have you just returned from April 27th?

And by the way, if you don't think our FO knows what we will need next year, who our upcoming free agents are, then I think you are mistaken. The FO isn't looking at this 2 months at a time, they are looking years into the future. Sure injuries are always unaccountable for, but they know when contracts are expiring, when players start reaching a certain age where their skills start to diminish, and when contracts start to reach a point that financially the player has to be let go or renegotiate. They also know the rehab status of our injured players, and they know the scheme, philosophy, and inputs of many scouts which allow them to make the decisions about how to rank players in the draft. Their rankings are much better than ANYTHING you or I would find on the internet. They will interview highschool & college coaches of potential draft picks, they do extensive background investigations and a myriad of other things that these internet & TV "gurus" like Kiper, Wright, & even Mayock cannot do from a financial or legal standpoint.

So really, who knows our needs better than our coaching staff & front office? Who has a better grasp of prospects in the draft than our scouts, front office, & coaches? If they say a guy is the best fit, best player, and is at a position they think we need to upgrade, then who are any of us to say different? It may not be what we want, but in the opinion of the people who really matter, it's the right decision to make.

I think the way it is presented is sometimes ridiculous. like when people say don't draft Delmas because Mays and Berry will be in next year's draft. That is not smart but I can see the front office identifying a position as being weak (imo the NT class this year) and not using a high draft pick on a nose because similar ones ie just plain run stuffers and big bodies can be had later in the draft. However if they think a guy like Delmas fits into the scheme we have and they think he makes us a much better team i agree no thought of next year's safety class will come to mind

Taylor mays

Eric berry

Kam chancellor

All better prospects than the first and second rounders in this draft

My question is if wwe want interchangeable safeties. Then why do we want a safety who did fine at fs to move to ss. Then have a fs(rookie-delmas) who is too small and can't play ss.

Moore was too shaky last season and looked horrible during the senior bowl.

The rest aren't worth taking.

Ps guys we want a SS. Not a FS. Coleman is fine where he is.

Who is saying we won't use the "best player at a position of need philosophy" in the draft? This draft hasn't happened yet, or have you just returned from April 27th?

And by the way, if you don't think our FO knows what we will need next year, who our upcoming free agents are, then I think you are mistaken. The FO isn't looking at this 2 months at a time, they are looking years into the future. Sure injuries are always unaccountable for, but they know when contracts are expiring, when players start reaching a certain age where their skills start to diminish, and when contracts start to reach a point that financially the player has to be let go or renegotiate. They also know the rehab status of our injured players, and they know the scheme, philosophy, and inputs of many scouts which allow them to make the decisions about how to rank players in the draft. Their rankings are much better than ANYTHING you or I would find on the internet. They will interview highschool & college coaches of potential draft picks, they do extensive background investigations and a myriad of other things that these internet & TV "gurus" like Kiper, Wright, & even Mayock cannot do from a financial or legal standpoint.

So really, who knows our needs better than our coaching staff & front office? Who has a better grasp of prospects in the draft than our scouts, front office, & coaches? If they say a guy is the best fit, best player, and is at a position they think we need to upgrade, then who are any of us to say different? It may not be what we want, but in the opinion of the people who really matter, it's the right decision to make.

Woah there!!! This is not an indictment on our staff as I think that they have inside information you or I could only dream of having at there disposal. I enjoy the passionate arguments about players we have on the boards but I think that the wait till next year argument has too many holes to be valid. No one knows the future.

Until given a reason I will not question TD's moves With that said they cannot foresee the future more than we can. They can however make informed decisions and even some of those decisions do not turn out as well as expected. They do not know what second year players will catch on or take a step back. Even if they are somehow able to predict how our players will develop they are not able to predict what other teams will do. This free-agency period has seen some old faces move to knew places. Changing draft needs and positions for years to come.

I think the way it is presented is sometimes ridiculous. like when people say don't draft Delmas because Mays and Berry will be in next year's draft. That is not smart but I can see the front office identifying a position as being weak (imo the NT class this year) and not using a high draft pick on a nose because similar ones ie just plain run stuffers and big bodies can be had later in the draft. However if they think a guy like Delmas fits into the scheme we have and they think he makes us a much better team i agree no thought of next year's safety class will come to mind

Basically what I meant. Don't like a players size, speed, intangibles cool. But too completely dismiss an area of need because maybe next years class will be better is not.