Joe Johnson vs B-Roy

Frenzy™®

link

BRANDON ROY (by Austin Burton)

I won’t lie — I did not see this coming. The first time I ever put “Brandon Roy” and “NBA” together in the same breath, it was back when 17-year-old B-Roy was publicly entertaining the idea of entering the Draft straight out of Seattle’s Garfield High School. Despite seeing Brandon regularly light up my alma mater (Franklin H.S.) in those days, at the time he was barely a Top-50 national recruit. Not only did I question his common sense trying to go pro so early, I questioned if he’d ever be an NBA player, period, let alone an All-Star, let alone someone being lumped into that exclusive group regarded as the future of the League.

Brandon Roy (photo. Aaron Hewitt)

But here we are, and at 24, B-Roy has exceeded all expectations. After Kobe, he’s arguably the second-best shooting guard in the West, with Healthy T-Mac and Ginobili as his main competition. Looking at the entire NBA, Roy at worst falls into that second tier class of two-guards, the one firmly below Kobe and D-Wade, where players like himself and Joe Johnson are going for elite member status. And while it’s close between those two, I’ll take Roy.

There’s a lot in common here. Roy and Johnson are both the unquestioned leaders of young teams with playoff potential, chameleons who can float effortlessly between three positions. Neither is known for doing any one thing exceptionally well, but for being all-around, complete ballplayers. Whether it’s shooting, ball-handling, passing, defense, leadership or hitting clutch shots, Roy and Johnson can pretty much do it all, and are dead-even in a lot of areas.

So what gives Roy the edge? I look back to last season, Jan. 27, a head-to-head matchup in Portland. A few days after Joe had dropped 37 on Roy in Atlanta, Roy went into this game running a fever that was supposed to sideline him. Instead, Roy outscored Johnson 24-19 and took the game over on both ends in crunch time. He scored at will down the stretch while locking up Johnson on the defensive end. He led the Blazers back from 19 down, hit the go-ahead free throw with two seconds left, and on Atlanta’s last chance, pressured Johnson into a miss. Playing sick, embracing a challenge from a star who had just torched him, and basically saying, “This guy won’t beat me twice,” it was something from the MJ playbook.

B-Roy put it all on display that night, and since then has only improved. He’s now considered one of the most dangerous clutch players in the League, compiling daggers on his resume that would make Sam Cassell feel like dancing.

It’s only been two-plus years of the “Brandon Roy: NBA Player” era. That he’d already surpass a superstar like Joe Johnson is something I wouldn’t have predicted, but it’s come true.

JOE JOHNSON (by Christian Grant-Fields)

Don’t get me wrong, Brandon Roy is the business. The other night I watched him dismantle the Knicks, and it was not just with his scoring (23 points); Roy’s overall steady play is what makes him so good. But when comparing him to Joe Jeezy, there really isn’t an argument.

Joe Johnson (photo. Zach Wolfe)

I would describe Brandon Roy as a Joe Johnson-type player. They both are completely well-rounded on the court … but Joe does everything better. Through Tuesday’s games, Roy was averaging 21.1 points along with 5.3 assists and 4.3 rebounds, while Joe Jeezy was better in almost every statistical category except field goal percentage. Joe is dropping 22.7 points, 5.4 dimes, and 4.6 boards a night for the Hawks.

Many of Portland’s fans rave about how Roy passes the rock. Well, Joe Johnson this season has 11 games where he has dished out five assists or more. Roy isn’t that far behind with nine. And as I previously mentioned, B-Roy is shooting better from the field than Joe, 46.4 percent to be exact, while Johnson isn’t that far behind, dropping 43.7 percent of his shots.

Could that be because, for years now, Atlanta’s biggest issue has been at the point guard spot? No knock to Mike Bibby and Acie Law, but if Joe had a pass-first PG like Steve Blake, he would be put in the position to score a bit easier.

Watch a Hawks game. Johnson handles the ball a lot, especially due to the fact that Bibby has a ratchet. Most of Joe’s buckets come from him creating his own shot. While a lot of Brandon’s buckets come from the same method, he definitely benefits from having a distribution-heavy point guard.

Last season, Joe Cool and the Hawks pushed the eventual NBA champs to seven games. Johnson went berserk in that series, solidifying himself as a legit problem in the NBA.

Although we know Brandon Roy is nasty, he has yet to perform on that big of a stage.

since you guys have been debating this,i found this article from dime mag

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
name=\'Remarkable\' date=\'Apr 29 2009, 09:12 PM\' post=\'4691401\']

Healthy Joe going hard = Brandon Roy.

Gimpy Joe shooting on the perimeter <<<<<< Brandon Roy.

false

Brandon Roy with the flu>>>>Joe Johnson

like my good friend RaShaud said its not even debatable anymore..