Regardless of all the Lane Kiffin bashing...

jdu00743

The man can recruit.

I'm not sure a new head coach has ever gotten the #1 player in the country the off-season he was hired. Bryce Brown didn't even have Tennessee on his radar until Kiffin was hired in December. Nothing short of amazing that we were even a FINALIST for him after only a few months...Can't believe we actually got him.

Lane Kiffin straight up jacked these players from other coaches:

- Janzen Jackson, 5 star CB from LSU

- Marsalis Teague, 4 Star ath from Florida

- Nu'Keese Richardson, 4 star ath from Florida

- Bryce Brown, 5 star RB, #1 player in the country from Miami

Only one we should have even thought we'd have a shot with is Teague because he was in-state. All the others should have been way, way, way out of our league.

We are going to have an amazing class in 2010...Looks like we're back. B)

The real question is, can he coach?

Al Davis says no.

He proved he can coach offense at USC...Had the highest scoring offense in the history of the NCAA until Oklahoma this year. We are certainly beginning to amass a similar level of talent that he had to work with on offense at USC. Pete Carroll barely touched the O there; he's a defensive guy.

I think Monte has proven he can coach defense.

We'll see. :)

He proved he can coach offense at USC...Had the highest scoring offense in the history of the NCAA until Oklahoma this year. We are certainly beginning to amass a similar level of talent that he had to work with on offense at USC. Pete Carroll barely touched the O there; he's a defensive guy.

Kiffin rode Sarkasian's nuts his entire time there.

If you want to see an amazing 2010 class look just south of the Georigia/Florida border.

and heck maybe by 2011 you guys will even have a QB. B)

Of course. There's no excuse whatsoever for Florida, Florida State, or Miami to ever have a class outside of the top 10.

Of course. There's no excuse whatsoever for Florida, Florida State, or Miami to ever have a class outside of the top 10.

Then that could be said of UCLA, Cal, Texas A&M, Stanford, Texas Tech and any school that comes from a talent rich school

I guess winning 2 out of the last NC's has little to do with it.

Then that could be said of UCLA, Cal, Texas A&M, Stanford, Texas Tech and any school that comes from a talent rich school

I guess winning 2 out of the last NC's has little to do with it.

The 61st best player in the state of Florida this year was still a 4 star. Texas had 4 stars up to 48, California up to 35. No contest that Florida is by a safe margin the best state at producing HS football talent. Not to mention the state of Texas has 10 D-1A teams whereas Florida only has 7. Makes Florida that much easier to recruit in.

Without taking into account getting players from out of state as well, that is 20 four star or better players for each of Florida, Miami, and Florida State. Amazing.

Sure, some of those kids will go out of state; but as I said, given those numbers, there is no reason at all not to finish in the top 10 (in recruiting OR actual rankings) if you're one of those 3.

You aren't even close to getting that talent. He will need atleast two or three more years to get the offensive talent USC had when Lane was here.

He proved he could coach that great talent pete carroll had accumulated there that was already a GREAT offense when he was there and you will have many years before you come close to that type of talent. you also won't be playing in the pac-10 either and you don't have pete carroll coaching your team.. he has PROVEN NOTHING at this point.

You aren't even close to getting that talent. He will need atleast two or three more years to get the offensive talent USC had when Lane was here.

Bryce Brown is rated higher than any current USC player. Obviously the #10 class is not USC quality, but this was his first class that he got in 3 months...Given the circumstances that is amazing. He's proving he can get those USC-type players.

He's proven he's an amazing recruiter. Which was all I asserted in this thread.

No he has proven he has an amazing staff of recruiters that couldn't beat out UGA for their top instate target marlon brown and couldn't beat out uga for orson charles. He has proven he isn't the recruiter Mark Richt is.

Bryce Brown is rated higher than any current USC player. Obviously the #10 class is not USC quality, but this was his first class that he got in 3 months...Given the circumstances that is amazing. He's proving he can get those USC-type players.

Lane is a great recruiter. He is. But the talent we had when he was here is unreal. And we are in Southren Cali, where alot of the top talent in that state play. He will have to recruit his tail off, to get those type of players every year at UT. We shall see. I don't doubt he can do it.

No he has proven he has an amazing staff of recruiters that couldn't beat out UGA for their top instate target marlon brown and couldn't beat out uga for orson charles. He has proven he isn't the recruiter Mark Richt is.

Mark Richt got the better of him this year, for sure. I think it would be foolish to say Richt didn't have a huge advantage, given the coaching change and years of a relationship with Orson.

Mark Richt got the better of him this year, for sure. I think it would be foolish to say Richt didn't have a huge advantage, given the coaching change and years of a relationship with Orson.

Well it's obvious length of time with a recruit doesn't always matter see bryce brown. Mark Richt just did a great job of recruiting marlon brown and orson charles and UGA's staff is one of the best in the country and SEC in recruiting. I would put Tony Ball, Rodney Garner, Wllie Martinez, John Lilly, and Mike Bobo up against any group when it comes to recruiting. You also commented ut is back and that's ridiculous. If you really think that then you need to close your eyes this year watching games. It won't be pretty. In 2007 ut had the #3 recruiting class in the country. UT hasn't had an issue with recruiting if you look at your rankings since rivals and scout have been doing it. You guys usually have a great class and then a good class and then a great class

In college football, talent is the first building block of winning. Coaching is secondary.

Incorrect there.. ray goff was getting talent.. he couldn't coach.. ron zook was getting talent he couldn't coach.. it's not just shopping for groceries, you have got to be able to cook a meal as well.

Yeah Ron Zook sure proved that. :rolleyes:

I actually agree with him on that though. Me and Sac was discussing this like a month ago. He disagrees. But talent alone can win you games in college football. Talent can overcome lackluster coaching. I do believe it takes coaching and talent to win championships. Because you will need to make ajustments.

I actually agree with him on that though. Me and Sac was discussing this like a month ago. He disagrees. But talent alone can win you games in college football. Talent can overcome lackluster coaching. I do believe it takes coaching and talent to win championships. Because you will need to make ajustments.

Im talking about championships. I dont want my school playing for anything else. Ron Zook could win 7 or 8 games with the guys he had and guess where that got him. The Big 10.