Is anybody else not overly impressed with this draft?

JDB2688

The more I research this draft, the more I keep wanting more. It seems like every prospect I debate for each of our picks just doesn't have "it" that I want out of prospects. Last year I didn't want Matt Ryan up until we drafted him, but I was dead wrong (along with a lot of you, wasn't just me.) However, I DID really like Curtis Lofton and Chevis Jackson, but I don't see players like them that I just absolutely want this year. The only player that I really want that doesn't fit the normal mold is Jarron Gilbert, but I don't know that we'll draft him.

Anyway, looking forward to next year's draft, it seems way more talented. The QB class will be a lot better (not that we need it), but the DT class is going to be MUCH better than this year's. I see a lot of positions that are the same way. With that said, I'm not expected a stud-filled draft like we had last year. However, I will gladly give Dimitroff his due if he pulls off something similar this year with, in my opinion, a less talented draft.

No it doesn't.... "next" year always looks better, but you just never know until You see who all has declared.

This year could have been a VERY talented class, but a lot of underclassmen decided to stay in school. The same could happen next year. This is a solid draft class that has a bunch of players who have a lot of potential.

There are not too many "safe" picks this year.... that is the biggest difference. Even though, personally, I think no player is a Safe pick, there are usually more " NFL" ready type players.

This class won't be as impressive as last year's, but it is full of players who can contribute a bunch to your team.

No it doesn't.... "next" year always looks better, but you just never know until You see who all has declared.

This year could have been a VERY talented class, but a lot of underclassmen decided to stay in school. The same could happen next year. This is a solid draft class that has a bunch of players who have a lot of potential.

There are not too many "safe" picks this year.... that is the biggest difference. Even though, personally, I think no player is a Safe pick, there are usually more " NFL" ready type players.

This class won't be as impressive as last year's, but it is full of players who can contribute a bunch to your team.

I'm just going to take the top players (seniors) on the board from NFL Draft Scout:

Taylor Mays, FS

Brandon Spikes, MLB

Jermaine Gresham, TE

Russell Okung, OT

Colt McCoy, QB

Ndamukong Suh, DT

Trent Williams, OT

Ciron Black, OT

Terrence Cody, DT

Mark Herzlich, OLB

Tim Tebow, QB

Trevard Lindley, CB

C.J. Spiller, RB

Brandon LaFell, WR

Sergio Kindle, OLB

Sean Weatherspoon, OLB

Adam Ulatoski, OT

George Selvie, DE

Geno Atkins, DT

Antonio Coleman, OLB

Greg Hardy, DE

DeMarcus Granger, DT

Marshawn Gilyard, WR

Chris Brown, RB

Javier Arenas, CB

That's a talented class without juniors. Add them in and it looks a lot better to me.

I'm just going to take the top players (seniors) on the board from NFL Draft Scout:

Taylor Mays, FS

Brandon Spikes, MLB

Jermaine Gresham, TE

Russell Okung, OT

Colt McCoy, QB

Ndamukong Suh, DT

Trent Williams, OT

Ciron Black, OT

Terrence Cody, DT

Mark Herzlich, OLB

Tim Tebow, QB

Trevard Lindley, CB

C.J. Spiller, RB

Brandon LaFell, WR

Sergio Kindle, OLB

Sean Weatherspoon, OLB

Adam Ulatoski, OT

George Selvie, DE

Geno Atkins, DT

Antonio Coleman, OLB

Greg Hardy, DE

DeMarcus Granger, DT

Marshawn Gilyard, WR

Chris Brown, RB

Javier Arenas, CB

That's a talented class without juniors. Add them in and it looks a lot better to me.

Tim Tebow will not be a NFL QB.

Taylor Mays, FS

Brandon Spikes, MLB

Jermaine Gresham, TE

Russell Okung, OT

Colt McCoy, QB

Ndamukong Suh, DT

Trent Williams, OT

Ciron Black, OT

Terrence Cody, DT

Mark Herzlich, OLB

Tim Tebow, QB

Trevard Lindley, CB

C.J. Spiller, RB

Brandon LaFell, WR

Sergio Kindle, OLB

Sean Weatherspoon, OLB

Adam Ulatoski, OT

George Selvie, DE

Geno Atkins, DT

Antonio Coleman, OLB

Greg Hardy, DE

DeMarcus Granger, DT

Marshawn Gilyard, WR

Chris Brown, RB

Javier Arenas, CB

Seems like a bunch of talent, but you never know what can happen. Injuries or players can have down years and drop in the draft. Its so much uncertainty. These guys are talented, but a lot of things change from this year to next. We will see though. I think it will be a better draft... especially defensively, but I cannot even say that for sure.

and before last year's draft ppl were talking about this draft.....

One more season changes a lot. You can't assume anything in regards to how these prospects will handle this year's successes...

It might be because we were picking so much higher in the draft last year, but I definitely wasn't looking ahead to this draft. Like I said, I liked a lot of guys last year like Lofton and Jackson and those we didn't draft like Kevin Smith, Matt Forte, Ray Rice, Chad Henne, Josh Johnson, and Philip Wheeler. It just seemed like a more interesting draft to research.

i like several positions in this draft while others are particularly weak. i love the OTs and really the entire Oline. i hate top end CBs and DTs are average at best. line backers are pretty deep with very good top talent while TE is deep but little elite talent. QBs have 2 maybe 3 and that's it. like every year there are strength positions and weak positions. i don't love this draft but it's not horrible. i just can't find a need player worthy of our first round pick.

i just can't find a need player worthy of our first round pick.

Bingo, which is exactly why I jumped on the Gilbert bandwagon. He's an athletic freak like Michael Johnson, but he had the productivity and has a MUCH better motor. I guarantee Ray Hamilton and Mike Smith would LOVE to coach this guy. He has experience at DE and DT, while his frame is no where near maxed out. He's the athletic freak people should be focusing on, not Johnson.

It might be because we were picking so much higher in the draft last year, but I definitely wasn't looking ahead to this draft. Like I said, I liked a lot of guys last year like Lofton and Jackson and those we didn't draft like Kevin Smith, Matt Forte, Ray Rice, Chad Henne, Josh Johnson, and Philip Wheeler. It just seemed like a more interesting draft to research.

Josh Johnson. :lol::lol::rolleyes:

This is a great Draft , I study them all very much for the last 13 years , and this is a great Draft and one of the best ones I've ever seen. , It is very strong . Think what you want but in a few years you will see that I am right . All the draft gurus will tell you it is a very good and deep draft .

The best ever at the OL position, But that is with all the OL , OT , G , and C combine , I;ve never seen as many starters .

Same for S and CB is very strong , Don't let the very slow tract at the combine mis lead you. they are faster than that .

RB is deep , not a lot at the top but a lot of very good backs on the 2nd day.

Qbs are not all that strong this year.

DT is very deep , and strong in this class ,

DE would be medium to weak .

OLB is as strong as I have ever seen.

ILB , this is the weakest position in the draft by far.

DE is mediocre .

WR class is also Strong .

This is just what I think about this class , but I know I'm close with what I've seen and alsos heard from all the Gurus like Mayock , Kiper Etc.

i like several positions in this draft while others are particularly weak. i love the OTs and really the entire Oline. i hate top end CBs and DTs are average at best. line backers are pretty deep with very good top talent while TE is deep but little elite talent. QBs have 2 maybe 3 and that's it. like every year there are strength positions and weak positions. i don't love this draft but it's not horrible. i just can't find a need player worthy of our first round pick.

very well put.

im in agreement with many of you that this class does not possess a great deal of high-end impact players, especially for our needs and where we pick in rd 1. but i also would argue that there are plenty of players in this draft that fit exactly what we're looking for (minus being able to start from day 1. guys like follet (LB), lewis (CB), & barwin (DE) all fit exactly what were looking for in talent, character, intelligence, & system fit. there are plenty more as well, these are just a few of my favs. this draft could be valuable to round out our depth with players who have the potential to start in a year or so. furthermore, next years draft we will have a chance at a deep pool of impact players at S, DT, & RT. sure, we dont know what will happen and who will come out, but considering the looming draftee salary scale, potential non-capped year, and that there are a lot of good players regardless of which juniors dont come out, im keen on letting this "process" go at the pace that will best serve the team's long term success...and maybe thats taking one step back to be able to take 3 steps forward. we actually dont have any real glaring needs. just a lot of positions that could use an upgrade, and some that just need experience. but we need depth all over (mostly).

This is a great Draft , I study them all very much for the last 13 years , and this is a great Draft and one of the best ones I've ever seen. , It is very strong . Think what you want but in a few years you will see that I am right . All the draft gurus will tell you it is a very good and deep draft .

The best ever at the OL position, But that is with all the OL , OT , G , and C combine , I;ve never seen as many starters .

Same for S and CB is very strong , Don't let the very slow tract at the combine mis lead you. they are faster than that .

DE is mediocre .

This is just what I think about this class , but I know I'm close with what I've seen and alsos heard from all the Gurus like Mayock , Kiper Etc.

I agree with you on a lot of things, don't know if you remember or not, but I told you once some of your posts were what got me interested in the draft when I first joined the board back in the day. Anyway, I have to disagree on this one. I'm not convinced the DT class is as strong as you indicate, but I do agree about the offensive line, the tackles especially. I think Gilbert, Jerry, and Hood are good-great UT's and Brace is a good-great NT, but after that I'm not sold on it being deep in talent.

Edit: I mistakenly forgot B.J. Raji in that post, but he's obviously a great NT as well.

DE is mediocre .

Great minds think alike. ;)

very well put.

im in agreement with many of you that this class does not possess a great deal of high-end impact players, especially for our needs and where we pick in rd 1. but i also would argue that there are plenty of players in this draft that fit exactly what we're looking for (minus being able to start from day 1. guys like follet (LB), lewis (CB), & barwin (DE) all fit exactly what were looking for in talent, character, intelligence, & system fit. there are plenty more as well, these are just a few of my favs. this draft could be valuable to round out our depth with players who have the potential to start in a year or so. furthermore, next years draft we will have a chance at a deep pool of impact players at S, DT, & RT. sure, we dont know what will happen and who will come out, but considering the looming draftee salary scale, potential non-capped year, and that there are a lot of good players regardless of which juniors dont come out, im keen on letting this "process" go at the pace that will best serve the team's long term success...and maybe thats taking one step back to be able to take 3 steps forward. we actually dont have any real glaring needs. just a lot of positions that could use an upgrade, and some that just need experience. but we need depth all over (mostly).

i don't disagree at all about there being guys later to fill our needs. at linebacker i really like Follet and Freeman. CB is always fairly deep with solid players. saftey i like Chip Vaughn and others. the only thing i would disagree with you on is that we don't have any glaring needs. i think we have a huge need at DT. other than Babs we have a bunch of bodies and that's it. i would bet we have one of the worst DT rotations in the league. other than that i agree with everything you said.

DE is mediocre .

I forgot to add the TEs , And that is huge because this is the best TE class I have ever seen and what adds to what I say is one of he best and complete Drafts I have ever seen all together .