Falcons wave goodbye to lj smith

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/...t-a-ring-on-it/

While I was off getting my basketball fix, the Falcons and tight end L.J. Smith were still square dancing at the Free Agency Ball. But the waltz appears over, according to a source close to the negotiations. Smith’s lack of blocking ability isn’t a scheme fit for the run happy Falcons.

I suspect we would have been willing to bring him in, but he wanted a contract that would have made it difficult to bring along another player to fit the program better.... probably too many years.

I hope this is the last we hear of it unless he's signing a (very reasonable) contract.

Well...this is turning out to be a waste of time.

If they knew the guy couldn't block that well for the scheme, then why go through all of that negotiation? He must have wanted an azzload of money for them to say no.

Or alot of years.

probably so, but why would L.J Smith come out and say that he decided to go with the Falcons, he must have changed his mind about the terms of the contract.

I agree, it is like they decided to finally look at the tape after he said he wanted to be a falcon.

The entire LJ thing is pretty confusing... I mean was it us that initially wanted him or was he just trying to convince us to sign him or something? Just weird. I'm glad it's finally been laid to rest so we can move on.

The entire LJ thing is pretty confusing... I mean was it us that initially wanted him or was he just trying to convince us to sign him or something? Just weird. I'm glad it's finally been laid to rest so we can move on.

There has been much more of that this offseason than you may be aware of Falconmama

i say we all still have to wait and see the facts first because we all know that their are articles saying we are about to sign him others saying we have and some like this one that says we are not. i myself am not going to jump to conclusions until afters TD lays out the facts because in reality nobody really knows except our front office what they want and are going to do

DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE does nobody understand this our offense finished inside top five in league last year "without a tight end" and our defense finished 24 this to me signifies if we do not get smith then their is no way we take a tight end until maybe end of draft because our defense was weak point and with a top five offense i think that we could maybe go another year without a good tight end, to improve our defense this year if our offense is consistent like last year and our defense can get anywhere around that top ten spot, do i even have to say it SUPER BOWL baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE does nobody understand this our offense finished inside top five in league last year "without a tight end" and our defense finished 24 this to me signifies if we do not get smith then their is no way we take a tight end until maybe end of draft because our defense was weak point and with a top five offense i think that we could maybe go another year without a good tight end, to improve our defense this year if our offense is consistent like last year and our defense can get anywhere around that top ten spot, do i even have to say it SUPER BOWL baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TD has already said that, along with defensive players, we're also getting a pass-catching TE, whether by FA or the draft.

Get ready for it.

TD has already said that, along with defensive players, we're also getting a pass-catching TE, whether by FA or the draft.

Get ready for it.

true but it seems like almost everybody on these boards are so worried about tight end why if you think about it already have one blocking tight end already and a recieving tight end and yes lj would be improvement over peele i do like the guy but lj is just better but i am just not worried about tight end

I suspect we would have been willing to bring him in, but he wanted a contract that would have made it difficult to bring along another player to fit the program better.... probably too many years.

I hope this is the last we hear of it unless he's signing a (very reasonable) contract.

i would love to have him but at a fair price.

if i were the falcons. i would ask if he wants to win or get paid a few mil more per yr..... then drop the 0-16 bomb on him