kdkane79

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...mp;&cc=5901

Iraqi shot dead attempting goal

Associated Press

March 16, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

BAGHDAD -- Police say an Iraqi soccer player has been shot dead just as he was about to kick what could have been the tying goal in a weekend game south of Baghdad.

Police Maj. Muthanna Khalid says a striker from the Buhairat amateur team was facing only the goalie during a Sunday match in Hillah when a supporter of the rival Sinjar club shot him in the head in the final minute of play.

Sinjar was leading 1-0 when the shooting occurred. Khalid said a spectator was arrested.

More Iraqis are turning out for sports events now that security is improving. Major matches in Baghdad are heavily guarded but security in amateur games in smaller cities is often lax.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...mp;&cc=5901

Iraqi shot dead attempting goal

Associated Press

March 16, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

BAGHDAD -- Police say an Iraqi soccer player has been shot dead just as he was about to kick what could have been the tying goal in a weekend game south of Baghdad.

Police Maj. Muthanna Khalid says a striker from the Buhairat amateur team was facing only the goalie during a Sunday match in Hillah when a supporter of the rival Sinjar club shot him in the head in the final minute of play.

Sinjar was leading 1-0 when the shooting occurred. Khalid said a spectator was arrested.

More Iraqis are turning out for sports events now that security is improving. Major matches in Baghdad are heavily guarded but security in amateur games in smaller cities is often lax.

He definitely needs the magic sponge.

Me and I will always say it.

anyone can get shot on the field.

first of all you are ignorant if you think any sport is a ***** sport, except for maybe curling if you even consider bollocks like that a sport. Second of all this is tragic not only for Iraq but sporting bodies all over the world....

Me and I will always say it.

anyone can get shot on the field.

I've gotten into this argument a bunch of times with my friends.

Just because you WATCH the NFL and MMA doesn't make you hard.

I've played soccer and it's not a "sissy sport" or whatever you call it.

Whenever there's open field, there is a heavy chance of injuries.

And there's plenty of contact, too.

You can call it a sissy sport all you want, but I still bet Wayne Rooney could take you.

I've gotten into this argument a bunch of times with my friends.

Just because you WATCH the NFL and MMA doesn't make you hard.

I've played soccer and it's not a "sissy sport" or whatever you call it.

Whenever there's open field, there is a heavy chance of injuries.

And there's plenty of contact, too.

You can call it a sissy sport all you want, but I still bet Wayne Rooney could take you.

Wayne Rooney is my hero but all of those guys could probably take him, **** Maradona would make him cry for his mum....

Wayne Rooney is my hero but all of those guys could probably take him, **** Maradona would make him cry for his mum....

Maradona might be my favorite player of all time, but he was a coke head, so he doesn't count.

But I'm not comparing Rooney to NFL players or MMA fighters, I'm comparing him to the fake ***, wannabe fans who think they're tough for watching the stuff on TV.

Rooney was crying to his mum Saturday after that *** kicking they took from Liverpool. The draw for the remaining of the UCL is this Friday correct.

I don't think the game of Soccer itself is sissy but there are many sissy soccer players.

Gotta give them some credit though. No athletes could make a transition to Hollywood as well as soccer players.

Like basketball is any better... <_<

I don't care if Lebron is 6'9" 260, 7'1" 300, 8'11" 450 or whatever new height/weight he lists for himself, he is the biggest sissy in all of pro sports.

I don't think the game of Soccer itself is sissy but there are many sissy soccer players.

That's an accurate statement. The diving culture that is prevalent in the game is really disgusting. The rolling around that they do at the slightest of contact is just atrocious. Everytime I see that, I feel like flying to europe. Getting on a cab, waiting by the said player's front door, and when he walks up, kick him with all my might in the balls and yelling "NOW YOU CAN ****ING YELL AND ROLL AROUND YOU **** SISSY".

And this is coming from a die-hard soccer fan.

Having said that, soccer is NOT, I repeat NOT a sissy sport. Despite the fact that some players exxagerate contact, every game has about 25-30 tackles that can truly shatter a player's leg. In addition, players running full-speed are constantly pushed to the ground by opposition. If you think that's not rough, run full speed once and have one of your friend push or tackle you to the ground and see how you feel. It's no joke.

You want a sissy sport. I give you baseball. No physical contact, 95% of the time, guys are either standing still or jogging back and forth from dugout to their position. And not to mention the fact that it's a "sport" where there is a ton of guys over the age of 35 who are not only playing in the league, but actually dominating the "sport". 90% of the pitchers are horribly out of shape. Any "sport" where seacow, i mean cc sabathia can dominate is not a "sport". Sorry, end of discussion.