Largest Clock in the World Construction Update

womfalcs3

Here's a render of what it will look like. Below it is the actual update.

In the render, the surroundings are kind of different today. They have demolished many buildings you see to the left for the expansion of the Grand Masjid. They're currently running two expansion projects there.

They said last year they expect construction to end by the end of 2009, but I don't see that happening. It took them over 2.5 years just to be where they are now.

dokaaeua3.jpg

3308454699_b59730669e_o.jpg

3308872081_140f1b9be7_o.jpg

You have to take your shoes off at the main gates when you enter. This is the case with all and any masjid. Since this masjid is so large in comparison, you take off your shoes/sandals/etc. at the main gates, and you carry them with you until you reach a desired place. They have many cases placed in appropriate locations where you can place them (They're on the left-hand side in the second picture).

People wash before entering (Aside from showering of course). Either at home, which is what I do, or when you arrive in the wash areas. You don't take off your clothes when you wash. You just follow a procedure where you wash your face, head, arms, hands, mouth, and feet.

For me, nothing beats being there during winter. When it's 65 degrees F, cloudy with a very light shower, and a little bit of wind.

hey wom are non muslims allowed inside the gran masjid? I have Indian heritage and they are more dominant over my mothers english heritage so I could probably pass a muslim if I wear the ihram. I was just wondering.... Also I find it hard to believe that this palatial hotel is going to be void of all things that are haram....

Muslims don't come in one color. There are many white Muslims, black Muslims, brown Muslims, and Asian Muslims. Whether you have brown skin or not, it won't affect anything. Plus they can't prove or disprove your beliefs. Non-Muslims are not allowed to enter Makkah, but I don't see how they would know. When you enter Makkah, they always wave me through the main checkpoint. They wave everybody through in my experience.

I had a blue-eyed brown-haired friend who was pale white when I went to school there, and he was Saudi and Muslim.

They can't ensure that forbidden actions won't take place in the privacy of the guests' rooms, and they shouldn't be able to. The hotel itself will not provide or encourage forbidden services though. I've been in many masjid-side hotels in Makkah and Madinah, and it's not a problem. People willfully abide by their beliefs.