Let's Get Something Clear About the DT Position

Obviously many of you did not watch Falcon games last year. If you did, you would see that the Falcons need help at the DT position, at both the UT and NT spots. First of all, Babs. is the ONLY person that can currently be counted on to make plays in the middle. I think a player like Peria Jerry would be an excellent pick at #24 to rotate with Babs. and play along side him on passing downs. The guy gets penetration in the backfield like Rod Coleman. Even if he doesn't sack the QB every play, that kind of pressure disrupts plays everytime.

Secondly, I don't care how much a staff likes a player, depth is important. With that being said, we need to find a NT as insurance for Trey Lewis. Our three year stop gap (Grady) will not be available this year. We need to find a 330+ tackle in the draft to play behind Lewis. The good thing about it is that these one dimensional tackles (primary job is to occupy two olineman) can be found in later rounds.

Some say DE is just as much of a priority as DT. I disagree. We have Abe, Davis, Biermann, and Anderson. I really believe that Davis will beat out Anderson and will be given every opportunity to do so. Based on some of the things said about Jamal, it appears to me that he is a little lazy and needs a kick in the @$$. Competition may just be that kick. If he is beat out at DE, we do have the option to kick him in to UT. But again, how effective can he be at a position that he is not familiar with? Our best option would be for him to win the DE position out right and form a solid 4 man rotation with Abe, Davis, and Kroy. To tell the truth, many are discounting Kroy. If the dude has gotten stronger and added some weight over the off-season, he might be another Jared Allen. He was always inches away from a few sacks last year. Imagine a player like him going to Chuck Smith at that dline camp.

With what our secondary is shaping up to look like (average), the lack of quality corners left in free agency, and the sub-par corner class, we need to definitely concentrate on upgrading our DT position.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't need a 330lb+ NT. We do not run a 3-4. We run a 4-3. Prototypical NT's for the 4-3 are around 310lbs, not 330. And yes, there are plenty of 330lb NT's available in the late rounds, because they are fat, lazy, tire out, and are not quick enough to make plays in the NFL. It's more important that they can hold the point of attack on rushing downs and push back the pocket on passing downs. The Williams brothers are 311 and 317. The reason Haynesworth is so coveted is because he's 320lbs and can move, which is rare. We need a strong DT that won't get pushed around. We don't need a fat lazy slob that will get in the way.

For the record, there is only one 330lb+ DT in this draft that I would want. And that's BJ Raji. And he'll be gone in the top 5.

Obviously many of you did not watch Falcon games last year. If you did, you would see that the Falcons need help at the DT position, at both the UT and NT spots. First of all, Babs. is the ONLY person that can currently be counted on to make plays in the middle. I think a player like Peria Jerry would be an excellent pick at #24 to rotate with Babs. and play along side him on passing downs. The guy gets penetration in the backfield like Rod Coleman. Even if he doesn't sack the QB every play, that kind of pressure disrupts plays everytime.

Secondly, I don't care how much a staff likes a player, depth is important. With that being said, we need to find a NT as insurance for Trey Lewis. Our three year stop gap (Grady) will not be available this year. We need to find a 330+ tackle in the draft to play behind Lewis. The good thing about it is that these one dimensional tackles (primary job is to occupy two olineman) can be found in later rounds.

Some say DE is just as much of a priority as DT. I disagree. We have Abe, Davis, Biermann, and Anderson. I really believe that Davis will beat out Anderson and will be given every opportunity to do so. Based on some of the things said about Jamal, it appears to me that he is a little lazy and needs a kick in the @$$. Competition may just be that kick. If he is beat out at DE, we do have the option to kick him in to UT. But again, how effective can he be at a position that he is not familiar with? Our best option would be for him to win the DE position out right and form a solid 4 man rotation with Abe, Davis, and Kroy. To tell the truth, many are discounting Kroy. If the dude has gotten stronger and added some weight over the off-season, he might be another Jared Allen. He was always inches away from a few sacks last year. Imagine a player like him going to Chuck Smith at that dline camp.

With what our secondary is shaping up to look like (average), the lack of quality corners left in free agency, and the sub-par corner class, we need to definitely concentrate on upgrading our DT position.

I agree with mostly everything. Especially the part about clueless fans that think we're set at DT.

One thing I disagree with though is counting on rookie draft picks to save the day. It almost never happens. See Dorsey, Ellis, Wilfork etc. It usually takes these guys at least two years just to figure out which planet they're on.

We need a Grady Jackson type move to fix our #24 run defense. Grady in his first year here. Not last year. He was a ghost then. We need a veteran that knows how to occupy blockers and collapse NFL (not NCAA) pockets.

We don't need a 330lb+ NT. We do not run a 3-4. We run a 4-3. Prototypical NT's for the 4-3 are around 310lbs, not 330. And yes, there are plenty of 330lb NT's available in the late rounds, because they are fat, lazy, tire out, and are not quick enough to make plays in the NFL. It's more important that they can hold the point of attack on rushing downs and push back the pocket on passing downs. The Williams brothers are 311 and 317. The reason Haynesworth is so coveted is because he's 320lbs and can move, which is rare. We need a strong DT that won't get pushed around. We don't need a fat lazy slob that will get in the way.

For the record, there is only one 330lb+ DT in this draft that I would want. And that's BJ Raji. And he'll be gone in the top 5.

330, 320, or 315. It doesn't matter. We need a NT to play behind Lewis. If a 320 punder can do the job, so be it. And the point is, they can be found later in the draft. How big is Trey Lewis? Isn't he 320lbs (10lbs shy of 330)? And I guess Grady is less than 330lbs as well. Hasn't he played most of his career in a 4-3 defense. Bottom line,WE NEED DEFENSIVE TACKLE HELP!!!!!

I agree with mostly everything. Especially the part about clueless fans that think we're set at DT.

One thing I disagree with though is counting on rookie draft picks to save the day. It almost never happens. See Dorsey, Ellis, Wilfork etc. It usually takes these guys at least two years just to find out what planet they're on.

We need a Grady Jackson type move to fix our #24 run defense. A veteran that knows how to occupy bloackers and collapse NFL, not NCAA, pockets.

Where in the original post was it stated that we need a rookie to come in and save the day? Jerry potentially rotating with Babs is not"saving the day" nor is an insurance policy for Trey "saving the day".

I think that alot of Fans realize that we need DT help, but just dont think that a quality NT/DT will be worth a first round pick. There are some quality players in the later rounds that could come in and rotate with Babs. We may even pick up a FA after the draft. We really dont know what we will have until after the draft. I think that you are jumping the gun and our FO realizes that we need a DT, especially after not resigning Grady Jackson, why do you think they have been looking at DT in the draft. I can assure you that we get at least one DT in the draft, maybe two.

There are no Grady Jackson types that will be available when we pick @ 24. Peria Jerry is far from a "Grady Jackson" type. He's more like Babs. Unless we're willing to sell the farm to trade up for BJ Raji then we're going to have to rely on Kindel Moorhead, Trey Lewis and other DT's on the roster until we can find a replacement next year. Unless we draft someone in the lower rounds or scour over the waiver wire after the draft we'll have to work with what we have.

They're no more Albert Haynesworth's out there..

I think that alot of Fans realize that we need DT help, but just dont think that a quality NT/DT will be worth a first round pick. There are some quality players in the later rounds that could come in and rotate with Babs. We may even pick up a FA after the draft. We really dont know what we will have until after the draft. I think that you are jumping the gun and our FO realizes that we need a DT, especially after not resigning Grady Jackson, why do you think they have been looking at DT in the draft. I can assure you that we get at least one DT in the draft, maybe two.

How is wanting at DT at #24 jumpin the gun? You can never have enough quality DTs. And your last sentence basically contradicted your entire post.

There are no Grady Jackson types that will be available when we pick @ 24. Peria Jerry is far from a "Grady Jackson" type. He's more like Babs. Unless we're willing to sell the farm to trade up for BJ Raji then we're going to have to rely on Kindel Moorhead, Trey Lewis and other DT's on the roster until we can find a replacement next year. Unless we draft someone in the lower rounds or scour over the waiver wire after the draft we'll have to work with what we have.

They're no more Albert Haynesworth's out there..

Who said Peria Jerry was suppose to replace Grady? Jerry is a 4-3 UT. And what did Kindal Moorehead contribute last year? I rest my case. Are we supposed to be looking for productive young players or camp bodies? At some positions waiver wire acquisitions are not the answer.

P.S. Quality pass rushing UTs are not found in the later rounds of the draft unless they have character issues. ****, Darnell Docket had issues coming out of FSU and was still snatched up in the third.

Who said Peria Jerry was suppose to replace Grady? Jerry is a 4-3 UT. And what did Kindal Moorehead contribute last year? I rest my case. Are we supposed to be looking for productive young players or camp bodies? At some positions waiver wire acquisitions are not the answer.

P.S. Quality pass rushing UTs are not found in the later rounds of the draft unless they have character issues. ****, Darnell Docket had issues coming out of FSU and was still snatched up in the third.

They just invested big in Babs last year and frankly I don't see them using a top pick on another UT when we have bigger needs on our team. I think depth behind Trey Lewis and a RE is more important. Quality pass rushers can be found in the a later rounds you just have to find them..

Where in the original post was it stated that we need a rookie to come in and save the day? Jerry potentially rotating with Babs is not"saving the day" nor is an insurance policy for Trey "saving the day".
Right here. "we need to find a NT as insurance for Trey Lewis"

Trey Lewis is basically a rookie. You seem to be penciling him in. He doesn't have a full year under his belt. He never played in this system. He's coming off a major injury and his five plays in 2007 could have been a flash in the pan. I recall a recent articile where TD was saying that he can't wait to see what he's got. He apparently doesn't even know yet.

We need someone like Grady. The first year he was here. Not last year when he had a bum knee and no water pills.

How is wanting at DT at #24 jumpin the gun? You can never have enough quality DTs. And your last sentence basically contradicted your entire post.

No i didnt contradict my entire post. You will be worried if we dont get a Dt at 24 when no Dt at 24 will be what you are looking for in a DT (A big NT). I want a NT that can stop the run and collaspe the pocket in the Pass to. Raji will not be on the clock at 24, after Raji there is no DT that will be able to come in and start and be successful in the run and pass game. Lewis if healthy will start and will be get a DT to rotate with Lewis and BAbs. You must not have understood what i wrote in my post. Yes you are worried about DT too much, when it will be worked out, via a rotation of DT.

Right here. "we need to find a NT as insurance for Trey Lewis"

Trey Lewis is basically a rookie. You seem to be penciling him in. He doesn't have a full year under his belt. He never played in this system. He's coming off a major injury and his five plays in 2007 could have been a flash in the pan. I recall a recent articile where TD was saying that he can't wait to see what he's got. He apparently doesn't even know yet.

We need someone like Grady. The first year he was here. Not last year when he had a bum knee and no water pills.

Some of you guys just don't get it do you. Nobody is penciling Lewis in. He never played in a 4-3 system? He had only five plays in 2007??? Flash in the pan? On one hand you guys want to get young and then you want grizzled veterans.

...Unless we're willing to sell the farm to trade up for BJ Raji then we're going to have to rely on Kindel Moorhead, Trey Lewis and other DT's on the roster until we can find a replacement next year...
Then our #24 run defense will probably get run over. It will likely be closer to #32. You seen our schedule yet? It's way tougher than the 08 schedule.

The problem with the run defense was mainly the Dline. Outside of Abe they were a problem in passing situations too.

Moorehead - a situational DT with no real impact

Busterson - a bust at DE and a total ghost at DT. Word on the street is he will be cut if he has a bad training camp at DT

Lewis - coming off a major knee injury, never played in this system and is basically still a rook

Jefferson - who?

Scary.

No i didnt contradict my entire post. You will be worried if we dont get a Dt at 24 when no Dt at 24 will be what you are looking for in a DT (A big NT). I want a NT that can stop the run and collaspe the pocket in the Pass to. Raji will not be on the clock at 24, after Raji there is no DT that will be able to come in and start and be successful in the run and pass game. Lewis if healthy will start and will be get a DT to rotate with Lewis and BAbs. You must not have understood what i wrote in my post. Yes you are worried about DT too much, when it will be worked out, via a rotation of DT.

I said nothing about wanting a big NT at #24. Lewis is a NT. Babs is a UT. Peria Jerry is a UT (who i want at #24). Babs and Lewis do not play the same position.

I recall a recent articile where TD was saying that he can't wait to see what he's got. He apparently doesn't even know yet.
They know a little....He played in a few games, and in those games, he played very well for a 6th rounder out of Washburn....I am sure they've watched tape on Lewis(college days and NFL games)...TD liked what he saw and he definitely sees something in Trey...
Perhaps that's a nod toward third-year defensive tackle Trey Lewis, who many have forgotten about, but clearly Dimitroff has not. He said recently, "We have a lot of coaches on this staff as well as myself who are sitting on the edge of their seats to see exactly what Trey Lewis will bring to the field. We are looking forward to what he may offer us.”

Statements like that mean they may think they have their answer in Lewis.

this is a very good post - agree with most everything. Defensive Tackle is a major priority - if Peria Jerry is gone though, then defensive tackle will most definitely have to wait until the 2nd or 3rd round - if Peria Jerry is available, then Falcons have to strongly consider him. He does not have to weigh 320lbs+ to be effective - that is just nonsense! We need playmakers on the defensive line and Peria Jerry is a playmaker. Clay Matthews at OLB is a playmaker as well - I would love to have him as my first choice but would be fine with Peria Jerry in the 1st round as well - we could do much worse!

I said nothing about wanting a big NT at #24. Lewis is a NT. Babs is a UT. Peria Jerry is a UT (who i want at #24). Babs and Lewis do not play the same position.

I wouldn't mind getting Jerry at 24 as a UT, but in your original post you mentioned Trey lewis who plays NT. I think that if we get another DT like Jerry would my see Lewis and Jerry on running downs and Jerry and Babs on passing downs. but i think that we can get a another DT to play on running downs later in the draft if we dont draft Jerry.

Some of you guys just don't get it do you. Nobody is penciling Lewis in.
Hold up my man your original post has him starting and looking for a rookie to back him up.
He never played in a 4-3 system?
Not in Smitty's system. Brooking, Boley and Grady played in plenty 4-3s but all looked either lost, neutered or clueless in this one.
He had only five plays in 2007??? Flash in the pan?
I said he could be a flash in the pan. Chad Lavalais had flashes. Where is he now? Lewis was OK but he was not really a world beater.
On one hand you guys want to get young and then you want grizzled veterans.
I don't really care about getting young. I prefer vets over rookies any day. Guys like Elam, Coleman and Turner. Or Abraham, Grady, Milloy, Mughelli, Dahl and Clabo.

I wouldn't mind getting Jerry at 24 as a UT, but in your original post you mentioned Trey lewis who plays NT. I think that if we get another DT like Jerry would my see Lewis and Jerry on running downs and Jerry and Babs on passing downs. but i think that we can get a another DT to play on running downs later in the draft if we dont draft Jerry.
Depth on the DL is key....Just look at the Giants....I would love to have Jerry at 24...

this is a very good post - agree with most everything. Defensive Tackle is a major priority - if Peria Jerry is gone though, then defensive tackle will most definitely have to wait until the 2nd or 3rd round - if Peria Jerry is available, then Falcons have to strongly consider him. He does not have to weigh 320lbs+ to be effective - that is just nonsense! We need playmakers on the defensive line and Peria Jerry is a playmaker. Clay Matthews at OLB is a playmaker as well - I would love to have him as my first choice but would be fine with Peria Jerry in the 1st round as well - we could do much worse!

Thanks dude. People usually take one sentence out of a three paragraph post and take it all over the place. Bottom line is we need to address the dline early and later in the draft. Look at what a little attention paid to the oline did for our offense. The same detail should be given to the dline this year.