Defense Losses

True we have lost 5 regulars but when you break it down, it doesn't seem nearly as ominous.

Keith Brooking and Michael Boley. We are not replacing the Keith Brooking of 1998-2004 or the Michael Boley of 2007. Those players were gone at the start of last season. We have Robert James, Stephen Nicholas, Coy Wire and Mike Peterson to replace what Boley and Brooking did in 2008 and I think that group can improve on the WLB and SLB play of last season.

Grady Jackson. 2008 wasn't the Grady of 5 years ago and a healthy Trey Lewis, based on his limited showing of 2007, can fill that void. While Lewis may not provide the exact same NT role as Jackson in terms of anchoring at the line of scrimmage, he does have the ability to provide greater disruption in the backfield.

Lawyer Milloy. Could Thomas Decoud/Jamal Fudge play any less effective than Milloy did last season? Again this isn't your Lawyer Milloy of the NE Patriots. Decoud might not be the same in the box as Milloy, but his pass coverage should be better.

Dominique Foxworth. We don't have a replacement for him and I think Chevis Jackson is a drop off, but not drastically so.

All things considered, and not taking into account injuries and intangibles like leadership, I think our defense has at worst, equal ability to last year.

When you add in a mix of draft picks and possible further free agent signings, we might be better off. I also think any improvement at TE will help the D by keeping them off the field longer.

Foxworth wasn't all that good. He fell off down the stretch. Jackson will be good. He has all the tools to succeed in our defensive system.

I agree we will be better...Though I'm not sure Lewis can stay healthy. We need more depth up front to give him time to rest.

Well the big question is are those guys ready to step up and be starters? Some of them might be. I still think we have concerns at corner, defensive tackle and linebacker. At the very least we are going to draft for depth but there's no harm in starting a rookie if he lights it up in camp.

I don't think we'll be worse. I'd rather have guys with speed (albeit less experienced) at those positions which is what guys like Milloy and Brooking were lacking.

True we have lost 5 regulars but when you break it down, it doesn't seem nearly as ominous.

Keith Brooking and Michael Boley. We are not replacing the Keith Brooking of 1998-2004 or the Michael Boley of 2007. Those players were gone at the start of last season. We have Robert James, Stephen Nicholas, Coy Wire and Mike Peterson to replace what Boley and Brooking did in 2008 and I think that group can improve on the WLB and SLB play of last season.

Grady Jackson. 2008 wasn't the Grady of 5 years ago and a healthy Trey Lewis, based on his limited showing of 2007, can fill that void. While Lewis may not provide the exact same NT role as Jackson in terms of anchoring at the line of scrimmage, he does have the ability to provide greater disruption in the backfield.

Lawyer Milloy. Could Thomas Decoud/Jamal Fudge play any less effective than Milloy did last season? Again this isn't your Lawyer Milloy of the NE Patriots. Decoud might not be the same in the box as Milloy, but his pass coverage should be better.

Dominique Foxworth. We don't have a replacement for him and I think Chevis Jackson is a drop off, but not drastically so.

All things considered, and not taking into account injuries and intangibles like leadership, I think our defense has at worst, equal ability to last year.

When you add in a mix of draft picks and possible further free agent signings, we might be better off. I also think any improvement at TE will help the D by keeping them off the field longer.

good take. i always like what you have to say on here...

There is a reason Coy Wire wasn't a starter until the end of the season. He is a good backup but he is in no way a great linebacker.

Nicholas didn't beat Brooking out of the starting position the past few seasons.

Trey Lewis hasn't played football in almost two years. To say he is an improvement over Grady when we haven't seen him play, or even practice in this system is putting too much hope up there.

And Lawyer saved us a ton early on last season with his run defense. He was the teams leading tackler through the first quarter of the season. His coverage wasn't great in the passing game but he was stout against the run and we got killed by the run most every game.

Good take on the Defense, I agree with all you said but would like to see a little more depth at ILB than OLB Since Gilbert got very little playing time last year, I not sure of his abilities

But I think the Offense does need help at tackle

LT Baker Ojinnaka

RT Clabo Sivtek(maybe) Butterworth

I would like to see some more depth at OT before more help at TE (assuming LJ Smith is signed)

There is a reason Coy Wire wasn't a starter until the end of the season. He is a good backup but he is in no way a great linebacker.

Nicholas didn't beat Brooking out of the starting position the past few seasons.

Trey Lewis hasn't played football in almost two years. To say he is an improvement over Grady when we haven't seen him play, or even practice in this system is putting too much hope up there.

And Lawyer saved us a ton early on last season with his run defense. He was the teams leading tackler through the first quarter of the season. His coverage wasn't great in the passing game but he was stout against the run and we got killed by the run most every game.

You are right we do not know, but if I remember in 07( different system) Lewis was good enough to take Grady's job away from him. If he returns to that form (50/50 change, either he do or he does not) then there is no let down at that position. BUT I still would like to see another good DT to help at that position.

You are right we do not know, but if I remember in 07( different system) Lewis was good enough to take Grady's job away from him. If he returns to that form (50/50 change, either he do or he does not) then there is no let down at that position. BUT I still would like to see another good DT to help at that position.

The only reason he took Grady's job is because Petrino cut him.

The only reason he took Grady's job is because Petrino cut him.

Yea, that was a BS call but it gave Trey a opportunity as a rookie to prove he can play. In the 5 games he started he had 19 tackles, an int. and I think a FR or a FF. Can't remember but those are some really good stats for a DT. He showed he had talent and we have to believe he can play. He has been hurt for a while but he had plenty of time to get back to 100%. Yes, I think we need someone better than Jefferson as insurance for him but we have no reason to think he won't be able to contribute. Remember he is very young still and he's been playing ball his entire life so it's not like he forgot how to play. He had last year to learn the system albeit from the sidelines. He should just have to get back into playing shape and he should be fine. Players get hurt and miss time then come back all the time. This is nothing new. I understand the question about his experience but he has already proven he can play effectively at this level and he has more experience than any rookie coming in. He's like a rookie but already ahead of the game as far as his experience. Not to mention that we already know he has the talent to play at this level. Just because he got hurt doesn't mean he lost his talent. Players come back from these injuries 100% all the time.

Good take on the Defense, I agree with all you said but would like to see a little more depth at ILB than OLB Since Gilbert got very little playing time last year, I not sure of his abilities

But I think the Offense does need help at tackle

LT Baker Ojinnaka

RT Clabo Sivtek(maybe) Butterworth

I would like to see some more depth at OT before more help at TE (assuming LJ Smith is signed)

You forgot Harvey Dahl at OT.

That has to be a typo because no way is Dahl playing RT.

I Was responding to the poster who said "you forgot Dahl at OT"

Very true.

Come on be real here, even Patrino as bad as he was, wasn't stupid enough to let a good player go unless he felt he had an equal or better player (or maybe just near equivalent player) ready to take that slot.

Come on be real here, even Patrino as bad as he was, wasn't stupid enough to let a good player go unless he felt he had an equal or better player (or maybe just near equivalent player) ready to take that slot.

One would think so but this is about the time that our talent started to get real weak. But forget that. I'm a huge Trey Lewis fan and if you track my post you will see that I really believe in this kid. He played great and proved he could play in the short time that he did play. He also has had plenty of time to fully recover from this injury. I have very little doubt that he will step in and be a force in the middle of our defense. I was agreeing that Petrino wouldn't know talent if talent slapped him in the face. As far as Trey Lewis is concerned, we are on the same page. I'm starting to bore myself because I'm sounding like a broken record in the guy. I keep saying the same thing over and over again. He is a proven baller. Now he just has to prove he can stay healthy and be consistent.

I whole-heartedly disagree.

Ok the only other choice besides Lewis was Stanley with D. Patterson on IR. They signed Tim Anderson after Jackson was cut.

If you are correct then Patrino would have cut Jackson if Lewis wasn't on the roster. Do you really think he would have done so with just Stanley and Tim Anderson?? And yes he did have to go to Stanley after Lewis got hurt.

I whole-heartedly disagree.

:lol: I have to whole heartedly agree with you on Petrino. Dude was out of his league in every aspect of the game. I truly think he would have played or not played guys depending on whether he liked them or not. Maybe he didn't like fat people so he cut grady because he made him want to vomit. Who knows. He should have never cut him though. Even if he thought Trey was better he still shouldn't cut the guy. You do this crazy thing and move him to backup.

One would think so but this is about the time that our talent started to get real weak. But forget that. I'm a huge Trey Lewis fan and if you track my post you will see that I really believe in this kid. He played great and proved he could play in the short time that he did play. He also has had plenty of time to fully recover from this injury. I have very little doubt that he will step in and be a force in the middle of our defense. I was agreeing that Petrino wouldn't know talent if talent slapped him in the face. As far as Trey Lewis is concerned, we are on the same page. I'm starting to bore myself because I'm sounding like a broken record in the guy. I keep saying the same thing over and over again. He is a proven baller. Now he just has to prove he can stay healthy and be consistent.

I think that the NT situation with Trey Lewis & Grady Jackson is going to me much more telling on the relationship between the Petrino moment & the Smith era.

There is a lot more to look at than most realize. Obvious know points are Petrino drafted Trey; Petrino fired Grady; Jags (with Smith as DC & Hamilton as D-line coach) hired Grady after he was fired ATL; Smith hired Grady when he became HC of ATL; & Smith willing to let Grady go with Trey coming back. Obvious take on things as far as Petrino: He liked Trey & didn't like Grady. Apparent take as far as Smith: He liked Grady & something about Trey he likes too.

Hidden background that most don't know. Smith & Hamilton was familiar with Trey when they were with the Jags. The Jags had shown much interest in Trey while still at Washburn. They came to the campus to interview him. They intereviewed him a couple times when he was at the Texas-vs-TheNation Bowl Game week. The fall of '07 one of their scouts was again at Washburn & I heard him tell a family member of Trey's they got the call a lil late to call him on draft day. That scout told the family also that Trey would do well in the NFL. So, as much as the Jags scouts were following up on Trey, I feel comfortable Smith & Hamilton knew about him as well. I'm sure since they have been with the Falcons they have had the chance to look at the guy (Trey) who moved Grady out of ATL the year before.

Smith, Hamilton, & TD have had the chance to be around Trey for a whole year, I'm sure they have sized him up. Both Smith & Hamilton have been around defensed long enough to read talent. I'm pretty sure they know what they have.

Another huge Trey Lewis fan here too. But I'm also a realist. Trey needs to be part of a strong DT rotation, & YES we got to get him thru a whole season before we can REALLY take about just how Good he may become.

m fine, a pretty darn good analysis. A good draft with a little help at DT, DB and maybe OLB and the defense will be closing the gap with the offense.

I think that the NT situation with Trey Lewis & Grady Jackson is going to me much more telling on the relationship between the Petrino moment & the Smith era.

There is a lot more to look at than most realize. Obvious know points are Petrino drafted Trey; Petrino fired Grady; Jags (with Smith as DC & Hamilton as D-line coach) hired Grady after he was fired ATL; Smith hired Grady when he became HC of ATL; & Smith willing to let Grady go with Trey coming back. Obvious take on things as far as Petrino: He liked Trey & didn't like Grady. Apparent take as far as Smith: He liked Grady & something about Trey he likes too.

Hidden background that most don't know. Smith & Hamilton was familiar with Trey when they were with the Jags. The Jags had shown much interest in Trey while still at Washburn. They came to the campus to interview him. They intereviewed him a couple times when he was at the Texas-vs-TheNation Bowl Game week. The fall of '07 one of their scouts was again at Washburn & I heard him tell a family member of Trey's they got the call a lil late to call him on draft day. That scout told the family also that Trey would do well in the NFL. So, as much as the Jags scouts were following up on Trey, I feel comfortable Smith & Hamilton knew about him as well. I'm sure since they have been with the Falcons they have had the chance to look at the guy (Trey) who moved Grady out of ATL the year before.

Smith, Hamilton, & TD have had the chance to be around Trey for a whole year, I'm sure they have sized him up. Both Smith & Hamilton have been around defensed long enough to read talent. I'm pretty sure they know what they have.

Another huge Trey Lewis fan here too. But I'm also a realist. Trey needs to be part of a strong DT rotation, & YES we got to get him thru a whole season before we can REALLY take about just how Good he may become.

That's a real good take on it and great inside info too. Thanks.

That's a real good take on it and great inside info too. Thanks.

Thanks. I had the pleasure of following Trey a lil in HS & throughout college. Topeka has a population of a lil less than 100K. Washburn only goes a lil less that 7K. Football stadium only a lil over 3K. Its been kinda easy to get up close & personal. Fans still gather with players & coaches on the field after the games (home & away). Its been a neat personal environment to follow.