o Newsvine

o Reddit

ajc.com > Print Edition

Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

Jackets can’t slow down Douglas

By Ken Sugiura

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Florida State guard Toney Douglas has seen his brother do his thing in the Georgia Dome. Friday afternoon, Douglas got his chance.

Douglas, the younger brother of Falcons wide receiver Harry Douglas and a Jonesboro High product, dropped 25 points and a typically stifling defensive performance on Georgia Tech in the Seminoles’ ACC quarterfinal win.

Douglas said there probably were more than 100 family members and friends in the crowd.

“It’s kind of a special moment for me, being back home,” he said.

Douglas has led the Seminoles to the second ACC semifinal in school history. They’ll play North Carolina this afternoon.

The Yellow Jackets made it their primary objective to stop Douglas, the ACC’s leading scorer and its defensive player of the year. When he had the ball, Tech double-teamed him to force him to give it up. When he didn’t have it, the Jackets assigned a man to guard him tightly to make sure he didn’t get it back.

FSU assistant coach Stan Jones said it was the first game the Seminoles have played in which their opponent was so intent on keeping the ball from Douglas all game long.

Douglas’ jersey even had a slight rip in the collar, the result of a Jacket doing all he could to keep Douglas from getting away.

“It’s a five-person spy on him just to slow him down,” Tech guard Moe Miller said. “It kind of worked, but he was tired at the end.”

Douglas’ scoring rate did slow down, but not by enough. He made a key hustle play with about 5:25 to go, scrambling for an offensive rebound and then getting enough space to knock down a 3-pointer to put the Seminoles ahead 59-53.

On the game’s deciding play, when Derwin Kitchen took an inbounds pass to the basket for the winning score, Douglas had started the play underneath the basket and then cut out to the perimeter, taking his man with him and leaving the space free.

“It’s a matter of getting shots for my teammates and for myself,” Douglas said. “You’re going to have to guard me the whole 40 minutes.”

No one knows that better than Georgia Tech.