Will Mike Peterson be a lockerroom a cancer?

Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio banished linebacker Mike Peterson for "insubordination" stemming from a team meeting Wednesday when the coach challenged several players about their actions during and after the team's 21-19 loss to the previously winless Bengals, according to team sources.

Peterson was not allowed at the team's facility Thursday for the second straight day. The team is contemplating more specific disciplinary action and has had at least one discussion with Peterson's agent, Tom Condon.

Peterson will meet with Del Rio on Friday morning and if all goes well, Peterson will be allowed back onto the team, according to a source.

Peterson was on a list of players Del Rio was "calling out" during the meeting. The coach had made it clear he wanted no feedback from the players, but Peterson challenged Del Rio on a specific incident for which he was cited, the sources said.

Del Rio complained about Peterson's muscle-flexing celebration after a "shoestring" sack of Bengals quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, when the Jaguars were trailing 21-3 with two minutes left in the third quarter, sources said.

On the prior play, Jaguars defensive tackle John Henderson had been ejected for trying to gouge the eyes of Bengals tackle Andrew Whitworth, who also was ejected.

Instead of staying silent during the meeting, as Del Rio had requested, Peterson, the team captain, defended himself by saying he was just trying to bring some energy to the team.

Del Rio was agitated by the explanation and wanted none of the back-and-forth. Peterson was excused from the meeting. When Peterson reported for practice a short time later, he was told by Del Rio to go home, one source said.

"That's the first time I've seen a coach and player just disagree in front of everybody to the extent that they did," defensive end Reggie Hayward said Thursday. "It's extremely surprising, but this is a business and when things aren't going right, tempers flare.

"They're both human. Everyone wants to win, and when we don't win, tempers flare, pride gets in the way and people have disagreements."

Peterson could not be reached for comment.

Del Rio could make Peterson inactive for Sunday's game against the Lions or he could suspend the former Florida standout without pay for conduct detrimental to the team. Either way, Del Rio made it clear he doesn't want Peterson around to cause a distraction this week.

"It was a surprise to everybody," linebacker Daryl Smith said. "We don't know what's going to happen. Regardless, we've got to get ready to play Detroit."

Peterson, the team's top tackler and emotional leader, is in the final year of a six-year, $21 million contract. He ripped the club during training camp for not offering him an extension in the offseason, but the Jaguars didn't want to guarantee any money to a 32-year-old linebacker who missed 17 games the past two seasons because of injuries.

Now, it's uncertain what role, if any, Peterson will have with the Jaguars the rest of the season.

His potential benching also could divide a locker room that's struggling to cope with losing its run-the-ball, stop-the-run identity that made Jacksonville one of the most physical teams in the league.

The Jaguars have lost two straight and three of their past four. They are trying to avoid becoming the first team in NFL history to lose back-to-back games to winless teams (Cincinnati and Detroit) this late in the season.

"Hopefully it will light a fire under us, hopefully it will spark us to go out and play better, to win some games and right the ship," Hayward said.

Although Del Rio didn't announce Peterson's punishment, running backs Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew seemed to know what was coming.

"Guys are going to miss him, but it won't affect morale as far as bringing energy to the game," Taylor said.

Added Jones-Drew: "It's [Del Rio's] decision, and we have to live with it."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q/A

1. Q: What is this thread about?

A: Will Mike Peterson be a cancer here given his prior behavior at Jacksonville? Discuss

2. Q: Why does your signature list so many players?

A: The guys I list are players I consider unfit for the Falcons Either they have been involved in criminal activity, or will be a detriment to the chemistry of the locker room.

3. Q: You're a racist. I don't see any white names on your list.

A: Just because a list happens to only have black people doesn't make a person a racist. There are many upstanding black people on our team too, like Michael Jenkins, Jamaal Anderson, Jerious Norwood - just to name a few. There are also white people that are criminals and would not pass the Falcon Filter, like Matt Jones.

4. Q: Jack Del Rio was wrong and Mike Peterson was right.

A: Right or wrong, Del Rio is the coach and Peterson is the player. Del Rio is Peterson's superior, therefore Peterson should not talk back.

5. Q: Peterson was right and he should fight back.

A: There are many ways to confront a disagreement. You can yell back at the other guy during the group meeting and start a verbal confrontation. Or you can let your employer finishing talking, and go talk to him in private after wards telling him you did not appreciate the call out. Or, heck, if you wanted to, you can go right up to him and punch him in the face and start a physical confrontation because he made a false accusation.

6. Q: You're childish because you don't fight back.

A: It all depends on how you see things. 1. You can either fight back on the spot and defend yourself fueled by spontaneous emotions. You'll be the tough guy in the lockerroom that lets nobody walk over you. Maybe make a few enemies but at least you'll get the point across that you will NOT be messed with. You need to defend yourself and prove to others, through arguing, that you are right and the other guy is wrong. 2. Or you can take it in like a man and understand that this guy is your superior, even though he is wrong - he still holds a higher position than you. Because if he is actually wrong, like you think he is, everyone else in the lockerroom will also see that he is wrong and eventually his superior will see that he is wrong. And there really is no point to publicly argue with him. You can talk to him afterwards and tell him that you don't think he's right and you differ with him. Also, since you know he's wrong and you're right, you don't have to prove to anybody anything by arguing.

7. Q: Falcon Filter you are a troll. Get lost!

A: I'm just talking about the Falcons like everyone else here. People called posters stupid when they said Hall and Vick are good guys. And now when I say they are bad guys, you quickly come in and say I'm a racist and I'm too moral. So what is it?

8. Q: Dunn was the most upstanding guy there was on the team. Why is he listed as a cancer?

A. You are right, Dunn was great for the city of Atlanta and great for the team. His dedication for helping out single mothers is priceless But, he did support Vick and having him back on the team would not help out the team chemistry for this reason.

9. Q: How do you know what happened? You weren't in the locker room!

A. I do have the ESPN articles and that's what I go by.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio banished linebacker Mike Peterson for "insubordination" stemming from a team meeting Wednesday when the coach challenged several players about their actions during and after the team's 21-19 loss to the previously winless Bengals, according to team sources.

Peterson was not allowed at the team's facility Thursday for the second straight day. The team is contemplating more specific disciplinary action and has had at least one discussion with Peterson's agent, Tom Condon.

Peterson will meet with Del Rio on Friday morning and if all goes well, Peterson will be allowed back onto the team, according to a source.

Peterson was on a list of players Del Rio was "calling out" during the meeting. The coach had made it clear he wanted no feedback from the players, but Peterson challenged Del Rio on a specific incident for which he was cited, the sources said.

Del Rio complained about Peterson's muscle-flexing celebration after a "shoestring" sack of Bengals quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, when the Jaguars were trailing 21-3 with two minutes left in the third quarter, sources said.

On the prior play, Jaguars defensive tackle John Henderson had been ejected for trying to gouge the eyes of Bengals tackle Andrew Whitworth, who also was ejected.

Instead of staying silent during the meeting, as Del Rio had requested, Peterson, the team captain, defended himself by saying he was just trying to bring some energy to the team.

Del Rio was agitated by the explanation and wanted none of the back-and-forth. Peterson was excused from the meeting. When Peterson reported for practice a short time later, he was told by Del Rio to go home, one source said.

"That's the first time I've seen a coach and player just disagree in front of everybody to the extent that they did," defensive end Reggie Hayward said Thursday. "It's extremely surprising, but this is a business and when things aren't going right, tempers flare.

"They're both human. Everyone wants to win, and when we don't win, tempers flare, pride gets in the way and people have disagreements."

Peterson could not be reached for comment.

Del Rio could make Peterson inactive for Sunday's game against the Lions or he could suspend the former Florida standout without pay for conduct detrimental to the team. Either way, Del Rio made it clear he doesn't want Peterson around to cause a distraction this week.

"It was a surprise to everybody," linebacker Daryl Smith said. "We don't know what's going to happen. Regardless, we've got to get ready to play Detroit."

Peterson, the team's top tackler and emotional leader, is in the final year of a six-year, $21 million contract. He ripped the club during training camp for not offering him an extension in the offseason, but the Jaguars didn't want to guarantee any money to a 32-year-old linebacker who missed 17 games the past two seasons because of injuries.

Now, it's uncertain what role, if any, Peterson will have with the Jaguars the rest of the season.

His potential benching also could divide a locker room that's struggling to cope with losing its run-the-ball, stop-the-run identity that made Jacksonville one of the most physical teams in the league.

The Jaguars have lost two straight and three of their past four. They are trying to avoid becoming the first team in NFL history to lose back-to-back games to winless teams (Cincinnati and Detroit) this late in the season.

"Hopefully it will light a fire under us, hopefully it will spark us to go out and play better, to win some games and right the ship," Hayward said.

Although Del Rio didn't announce Peterson's punishment, running backs Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew seemed to know what was coming.

"Guys are going to miss him, but it won't affect morale as far as bringing energy to the game," Taylor said.

Added Jones-Drew: "It's [Del Rio's] decision, and we have to live with it."

MR. FALCON FILTER. WHY ARE YOU HERE? BE POSITIVE MAN. EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY. YOU TOOK ALL THIS TIME TO TRY AND FIND THE WRONG IN PEOPLE. GOD BLESS YOU

MR. FALCON FILTER. WHY ARE YOU HERE? BE POSITIVE MAN. EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY. YOU TOOK ALL THIS TIME TO TRY AND FIND THE WRONG IN PEOPLE. GOD BLESS YOU

It's NOT okay to put criminals and thugs on center stage and in mainstream media in which our youth could follow. Athletes are one of the most looked up to people in the nation. The ones that are criminals should not be role models.

I am positive about positive role models and negative about negative role models.

Nice Read.

It is interesting to know that this all started after Mike Smith left. Del Rio couldn't handle that his defense was falling apart without MS coordinating..... I mean upset because he flexed after making a tackle to spark some life.... come on. I think Peterson will play well now that he is back with Mike.

He will bring some positive and needed energy to lockerroom and field.

It's NOT okay to put criminals and thugs on center stage and in mainstream media in which our youth could follow. Athletes are one of the most looked up to people in the nation. The ones that are criminals should not be role models.

I am positive about positive role models and negative about negative role models.

EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES. THEY PAID THIER DUES. I COULD HAVE SWORN THAT THIS WAS A FOOTBALL WEBSITE. AS LONG AS THEY ARE HELPING THE FALCONS GET TO THAT SUPREME GOAL, IT SHOULDN'T MATTER.

EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES. THEY PAID THIER DUES. I COULD HAVE SWORN THAT THIS WAS A FOOTBALL WEBSITE. AS LONG AS THEY ARE HELPING THE FALCONS GET TO THAT SUPREME GOAL, IT SHOULDN'T MATTER.

Everyone makes mistakes, but not everyone breaks the law. There are a plenty of players out there that have spot-free records. Just look at Michael Jenkins.

Everyone makes mistakes, but not everyone breaks the law. There are a plenty of players out there that have spot-free records. Just look at Michael Jenkins.

but your'e not understanding me. you can go persecute on a news channel or something. this is the FALCONS. we are only here for one thing. so you telling me that if an ex-felon or whatever catches the winning superbowl touchdown, your'e gonna boooo him because he is not pure? lol ok dude

Hey falconfilter i live in Jacksonville and the thread you put up is spot on its been kicked around on the jags MB and the fans there were happy to see him leave... ..Peterson can not handle the thought of a coach calling him out on his childish antics on and off the field...... and another thing that tick him off was that David Garrard got paid and he didn't and he's been showing his true colors ever since....... if the guy makes it Thur this up coming season with out some sort of temper tamp trend ill be totally amazed and astonished ......But at least he got his way the falcons gave his raise he was bit.hing and moaning about........

Key

Red: Eliminated

Black: At Large Still

Bold: Dangerous Criminal

-------------------------------------------

Current Threats

John Abraham (driving under the influence) - Link

Jonathan Babineaux (felony animal cruelty) - Link

Michael Boley (battery) - Link

Alge Crumpler (Vick supporter)

Warrick Dunn (Vick supporter)

DeAngelo Hall (lockerroom cancer)

Joe Horn (Vick supporter)

Mike Peterson (lockerroom cancer)

Michael Turner (domestic abuse) - Link

Michael Vick (animal cruelty, drug possession, conspiracy) - Link

Roddy White (Vick supporter)

Jimmy Williams (drug possession) - Link

FALCON FILTER ARE YOU SERIOUS PUTTING THIS UP PLEASE GET OFF YOUR MORAL SOAPBOX, YOU LABELED DUNN AS A THREAT CUS HE SUPPORTED #7. YEA I GUESS HE IS A THREAT I MEAN HIS MOTHER WAS MURDERED, HE RAISED ALL OF HIS SIBLINGS, AND HAS PROVIDED TONS OF HOMES FOR SINGLE MOTHERS SO YEA THAT DOES MAKE HIM A THREAT. DO SOME BACKROUND CHECKS BEFORE YOU START PROFILING PEOPLE. WE WRITE THINGS TO HAVE FUN SHARE FAIR INPUT AND KEEP EACH OTHER UPDATED ON CURRENT FALCONS MOVES. NOT TO PUBLICLY MAKE THEM A MENACE TO SOCIETY

So what's your definition of positive and negative? Is it like binary/true,false/ 0 and 1 (or a boolean variable for those playing along at home)? I'm going to need a little further info here. I just want to make sure I know what you're definition is before I start shooting holes in it.

i'm not black, but i can't help but notice all the "axis of evil" ******** in your thread is relating to black players... warrick dunn?????? he is the most classy player to wear a falcon uniform, you need to get off your moral high horse

but your'e not understanding me. you can go persecute on a news channel or something. this is the FALCONS. we are only here for one thing. so you telling me that if an ex-felon or whatever catches the winning superbowl touchdown, your'e gonna boooo him because he is not pure? lol ok dude

So you are telling me you wouldn't mind seeing our team like the Bengals - the laughingstock of the NFL with their 8+ criminals. This is about building a successful clean franchise, not a penitentiary. I can root for whoever I want. Just because I'm a Falcons fan doesn't mean I have to like every Falcon that's ever played.

Also, Chad Johnson is clean off the field, but how would you like him in our lockerroom? Yes he scores TDs, but he also gets penalties for his celebrations, and divides the lockerroom up with his talk.

Hey falconfilter i live in Jacksonville and the thread you put up is spot on its been kicked around on the jags MB and the fans there were happy to see him leave... ..Peterson can not handle the thought of a coach calling him out on his childish antics on and off the field...... and another thing that tick him off was that David Garrard got paid and he didn't and he's been showing his true colors ever since....... if the guy makes it Thur this up coming season with out some sort of temper tamp trend ill be totally amazed and astonished ......But at least he got his way the falcons gave his raise he was bit.hing and moaning about........

Thanks for a quality post. Right or wrong, a player should not run the lockerroom, the coach should. If a player does not like what a coach is doing, he shouldn't call him out - especially inside the lockerroom.

FALCON FILTER ARE YOU SERIOUS PUTTING THIS UP PLEASE GET OFF YOUR MORAL SOAPBOX, YOU LABELED DUNN AS A THREAT CUS HE SUPPORTED #7. YEA I GUESS HE IS A THREAT I MEAN HIS MOTHER WAS MURDERED, HE RAISED ALL OF HIS SIBLINGS, AND HAS PROVIDED TONS OF HOMES FOR SINGLE MOTHERS SO YEA THAT DOES MAKE HIM A THREAT. DO SOME BACKROUND CHECKS BEFORE YOU START PROFILING PEOPLE. WE WRITE THINGS TO HAVE FUN SHARE FAIR INPUT AND KEEP EACH OTHER UPDATED ON CURRENT FALCONS MOVES. NOT TO PUBLICLY MAKE THEM A MENACE TO SOCIETY

There are two types of players that won't pass the Falcon Filter. 1) Criminals that get in trouble with the law. 2) Lockerroom cancers that will divide a team up.