2009 NFL Draft

With the 24th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft the Atlanta Falcons pick...

I'm not excited about it this year and the reason why is very simple. This year's talent is really unimpressive in that they all give me the feeling of 2nd and 3rd stringer and even situational players after the 15th pick. Maybe this seems mean or even flawed but its my opinion and I'm calling it like I see it.

Whether its Mathews, English, Johnson, Jerry or whomever it will all be the same. Delmas may be the pick, but he's not a first rounder IMO. Just saying though, I just wanted to express this here.

Yeah, all of the Jrs going back to school really weakened this draft class.. It would be cool if we could trade out of the 1st and get a 2010 1st rounder. But there's not a single person in this draft that's worth trading up for other than OT Jason Smith and he's going top 5.

I'm not excited about it this year and the reason why is very simple. This year's talent is really unimpressive in that they all give me the feeling of 2nd and 3rd stringer and even situational players after the 15th pick. Maybe this seems mean or even flawed but its my opinion and I'm calling it like I see it.

Whether its Mathews, English, Johnson, Jerry or whomever it will all be the same. Delmas may be the pick, but he's not a first rounder IMO. Just saying though, I just wanted to express this here.

Honestly i agree with you 100%. So why not get the best situational player that will have the most impact when placed in those situations. To me it woud be a DE, or DT but we can find a DT later in the draft who is situational. I am not impressed with the Safties in the draft to garner 1st round status.

this draft may not have 'some' guy with exciting talent....but i think it is solid....i do believe next 2-3 years the draft class will be much more exciting...but this draft will have a lot of sleeper.....moreno doesn't get enough attention....de michael johnson will be successful if he get the right coaching...he's just one dimensional right now but once he learn how to spin ...power drive, and do better at run blocking...he will be a great end. As far as cornerbacks, it is a bad draft for them. I'm looking the falcons to either going with LB or D line.

Thats what I've been thinking J-Madd is not trying to lock the best starter, but instead the best situational player. That just makes the most sense right now. It WILL in fact tell us what we need for this year, but its not exciting to say the least. I'm ready for the season to start. The team will look basically the same then as now. If they choose Delmas...great. If they choose Johnson...great. The most important thing is to find out really what is missing and if the defense the way they see it has the right personnel.

Thats what I've been thinking J-Madd is not trying to lock the best starter, but instead the best situational player. That just makes the most sense right now. It WILL in fact tell us what we need for this year, but its not exciting to say the least. I'm ready for the season to start. The team will look basically the same then as now. If they choose Delmas...great. If they choose Johnson...great. The most important thing is to find out really what is missing and if the defense the way they see it has the right personnel.

I would disagree with part of that reasoning. In a poor draft year, you would think it is more important to stick to your draft board rather than try and fill needs. With a weak class, the chances of missing on a player are increased and to minimize that risk you would have to follow your player ranking and select with less emphasis on position than was the case last season. Having said that I can't see drafting LeShaun McCoy in the first as one wank at the Sporting News has us doing, but if our needs are ranked for example this way DT/OLB/SS/CB/TE and the BPA at our spot is TE or OT, I hope we are ready to pick players at those positions

I would disagree with part of that reasoning. In a poor draft year, you would think it is more important to stick to your draft board rather than try and fill needs. With a weak class, the chances of missing on a player are increased and to minimize that risk you would have to follow your player ranking and select with less emphasis on position than was the case last season. Having said that I can't see drafting LeShaun McCoy in the first as one wank at the Sporting News has us doing, but if our needs are ranked for example this way DT/OLB/SS/CB/TE and the BPA at our spot is TE or OT, I hope we are ready to pick players at those positions

That too. Either way would work.

I think you're misjudging this. Maybe there isn't any guy that jumps out as a sure-fire first rounder where we pick but we could get a guy to come in and have a curtis lofton like impact. Clay Matthews, Micheal Johnson, Larry English, and Louis Delmas might not be first rounders in other years but that doesn't mean they cant contribute

I think you're misjudging this. Maybe there isn't any guy that jumps out as a sure-fire first rounder where we pick but we could get a guy to come in and have a curtis lofton like impact. Clay Matthews, Micheal Johnson, Larry English, and Louis Delmas might not be first rounders in other years but that doesn't mean they cant contribute

Lofton missed the first round because of his combine numbers. He's actually great though. He came in to start. I've always felt that even if I didn't like you as a player you contribute.

EDIT: My only problem is that its hard to excited at our draft. Its more like who is there worth taking. I keep seeing the Cush hype along with others and there is no reason to hype anything. The safety class is such that DELMAS is rated a first rounder by this board even though Moore is the better guy. There were plenty of reasons why we didn't get guys in the FA, but there will be others before and after the draft. We have holes, but what people are missing is the fact that we are at least okay in every position really.

I think the weak draft class thing is dubious. As the years progress the draft takes on more and more weight. These players are analyzed more year by year. That leads to increased ideas that all the players have glaring faults. I do think a lot of the unders that went back to school weakened the class a bit and that next year has potential as a huge draft class but I don't think this class is anything below average. Every year has its booms, its busts, its no-name star rookies. Its just a matter of exposure.

Big names do not neccessarily mean big production.

TD will find talented guys in every round who will come in and make some kind of impact.

I agree. He is very comfortable drafting in the 20's, and used to making good choices late. This draft has a lot of potential, guys who are not necessarily getting all the press.

I saw a lot of potential at the combine.

I have faith that we will pick up some starting talent to help rebuild our defense.

I think the weak draft class thing is dubious. As the years progress the draft takes on more and more weight. These players are analyzed more year by year. That leads to increased ideas that all the players have glaring faults. I do think a lot of the unders that went back to school weakened the class a bit and that next year has potential as a huge draft class but I don't think this class is anything below average. Every year has its booms, its busts, its no-name star rookies. Its just a matter of exposure.

I didn't mean it quite that way. It is just not a great draft this year.

Now, I have "ppls", but I like to think that some people around here are pretty good in the sense department. Scar, gazoo (even if unpopular), Robb, doob, Jay-Madd, Falconmomma(who sets me straight A LOT!!!), atljbo, bossFalcon and a handful of others (sorry if I didn't add you). One thing that I am aware of is TD's aptitude and the fact that there will be gems, booms, busts, etc. Its just that this year is close on the call because it IS a weak class. Maybe its because of the juniors waiting until next year or maybe because this group seems to not be as hungry in years past. I don't watch TV very much, I listen very little to prognosticators. I spend a lot of time to myself, family (near and abroad), and in church. With every inch of me that is real I admit that I was worried that if we didn't get Ryan then I'd be sorry, but I didn't want another year of trying to rebuild our shotty run defense.

Now we are back to one on this project along with needing to stop the pass. Now I don't see any starters, but I do see role players. With coaching maybe some of these guys can really step up.I know that TD is the man and if he takes Delmas then he has a real plan for him, but I hope we don't. I'm not whining here, but I am saying that this is not a draft that I'm excited about. I just hope that when its done its done well.

I agree. He is very comfortable drafting in the 20's, and used to making good choices late. This draft has a lot of potential, guys who are not necessarily getting all the press.

I saw a lot of potential at the combine.

I have faith that we will pick up some starting talent to help rebuild our defense.

Again with big names. Like who? Laurinaitis, Curry, Cushing, Moreno, Johnson. Those are all big names. What I mean is that I am not impressed by what I've seen at all.

I think this draft has a lot of guys that can make an impact at two positions we need (DE, OLB) and I hope we capitalize on that. I think your dwelling too much on that we aren't getting some college star and big name but instead we will be selecting guys that can fit our plan and come in and produce. Maybe there aren't a lot of clear All Pro caliber players but to say it's devoid of talent is ignorant. In some positions it is a very weak draft class (DT, RB, QB, MLB, S, and CB is average at best) but there are still good players to be had. As you mentioned we could pick up a guy like William Moore and we could even do it by moving down and picking up extra draft picks. He is an example of a guy that could come in and start from Day 1 for us

I think this draft has a lot of guys that can make an impact at two positions we need (DE, OLB) and I hope we capitalize on that. I think your dwelling too much on that we aren't getting some college star and big name but instead we will be selecting guys that can fit our plan and come in and produce. Maybe there aren't a lot of clear All Pro caliber players but to say it's devoid of talent is ignorant. In some positions it is a very weak draft class (DT, RB, QB, MLB, S, and CB is average at best) but there are still good players to be had. As you mentioned we could pick up a guy like William Moore and we could even do it by moving down and picking up extra draft picks. He is an example of a guy that could come in and start from Day 1 for us

Wow! Ignorant? Geez man, I thought way more of you than to get like that with me. Look at my last two posts. Read them this time without skimming.

Im not calling you ignorant in fact I think you make a lot of good points. I just think it is ignorant to say that since there are no stars we can't find quality starters. If that's off then I'm sorry and I misread but that's what I took from part of what you said

Why bother even posting then?

TD makes his living picking in the 20s

You think that 2, 3, 4, etc round picks are not valuable?

You're football IQ is showing & it ain't pretty

speaking for myself and NOT basing what I say off anyones opinion(everyone is entitled to there own). I'm always excited about the draft, I dont care who's in it.Its a time where our team will add new pieces that will play a role in our future(weather we like it or not). Big names don't really excite me. I like to see results, and if not so big name players give us big results then it's all good with me.

Why bother even posting then?

TD makes his living picking in the 20s

You think that 2, 3, 4, etc round picks are not valuable?

You're football IQ is showing & it ain't pretty

Wow, still misunderstanding what I'm saying. Let me try and say this again. LOL at my football I.Q. not being pretty. Okay, in this draft you have basically two positions with a large amount of starters. Out of those positions we need one. The group is highly coachable, but not what are normally considered high impact players. Lots of big names to me, but not a whole lot of guys who SEEM to have what it takes to start on draft day.

Right now, we have what looks like a bunch of wholes only we have serviceable guys in every position. We may not need starters right now, but situational players. These guys can learn under Abraham, Babineaux, Peterson, and Coleman. I will be watching, but more with a different type of feeling than normal. Now, I'm not super impressed by any of the guys pass 15 on most mocks, but I like a few of them for my own reasons.

Wow, still misunderstanding what I'm saying. Let me try and say this again. LOL at my football I.Q. not being pretty. Okay, in this draft you have basically two positions with a large amount of starters. Out of those positions we need one. The group is highly coachable, but not what are normally considered high impact players. Lots of big names to me, but not a whole lot of guys who SEEM to have what it takes to start on draft day.

Right now, we have what looks like a bunch of wholes only we have serviceable guys in every position. We may not need starters right now, but situational players. These guys can learn under Abraham, Babineaux, Peterson, and Coleman. I will be watching, but more with a different type of feeling than normal. Now, I'm not super impressed by any of the guys pass 15 on most mocks, but I like a few of them for my own reasons.

it feels to me the stock of high-end talent is not deep in this draft. there are however many players that fit the criteria for what we're looking for at positions of need, and there is some great talent, but as you said, not many who can start on draft day. thats why i think we should trade down (twice if we can), stockpile picks for 2010, and target the handful of players who fit well in our system for depth (yet all have starting potential).

just for kicks, a 'simple' trade down from #24, could net us a 2 or 3 next year, depending on how the trade is set up. the same is true if we trade down from one of our 2s. its certainly possible.

imagine this in the uber-deep draft of 2010.:

4.(comp)

5.(comp)

(plus maybe 1 more late round comp for milloy or grady)

this year we fill out the roster with talented, solid depth players who can soon challenge and potentially start. then next year be able to target/draft a blue-chip FS/SS, DT, and RT, which are all predicted to be especially deep.

(sorry for the tangent but this top-weak draft has been on my mind too.)

it feels to me the stock of high-end talent is not deep in this draft. there are however many players that fit the criteria for what we're looking for at positions of need, and there is some great talent, but as you said, not many who can start on draft day. thats why i think we should trade down (twice if we can), stockpile picks for 2010, and target the handful of players who fit well in our system for depth (yet all have starting potential).

just for kicks, a 'simple' trade down from #24, could net us a 2 or 3 next year, depending on how the trade is set up. the same is true if we trade down from one of our 2s. its certainly possible.

imagine this in the uber-deep draft of 2010.:

4.(comp)

5.(comp)

(plus maybe 1 more late round comp for milloy or grady)

this year we fill out the roster with talented, solid depth players who can soon challenge and potentially start. then next year be able to target/draft a blue-chip FS/SS, DT, and RT, which are all predicted to be especially deep.

(sorry for the tangent but this top-weak draft has been on my mind too.)

Basically what I'm saying. Now I don't personally want to trade down. I'm just like you though....thinking REALISTICALLY about it.