clay matthews

i dont understand the love for this guy for 2 reasons.

he doesnt seem to be a game changer ive watched a few of his games and he is good but not great and i dont see a high ceiling for him

but more importantly i dont see a spot for him in our scheme. i dont think he is an SLB and i would say hes more suited to a 3-4.

so what is it (and this isnt being sarcy i genuinely want to know) that makes him appeal to alot of people and where do you see him playing and why?

Guest Gritz

To be honest with you I think a great deal of the infatuation with him on this MB is because of his bloodlines.

I have to admit living in the Atlanta area and being more of an SEC-ACC fan I haven't seen a lot of USC games over the last couple of years.

I don't think he'll be our pick even if he's there......... ;)

I think why he is thought of so highly is his upside he has plenty of head room to get better thats why I think he's rocketed up all the mocks.I think he would go really well with us and I would'nt complain if we took him it would give us a deep and young LB corps for the future I truely can only see upside if we decided to take this guy.He has good intangibles Big motor non stop never gives up on a play good bloodlines it runs in the family.I like him because 3 years ago he was a walk up and earnt his way to being a starter at USC though inexperience to me would be the only knock but I gotta feeling the more this guy plays the better and better he'll get.

he doesnt seem to be a game changer ive watched a few of his games and he is good but not great and i dont see a high ceiling for him

but more importantly i dont see a spot for him in our scheme. i dont think he is an SLB and i would say hes more suited to a 3-4.

so what is it (and this isnt being sarcy i genuinely want to know) that makes him appeal to alot of people and where do you see him playing and why?

I have no clue what they see in this kid. He hasn't done anything to impress me at all. take a look at what he did at USC.

year__________GP________________TKL______________TFL______________Sacks

2005_________11_________________8_______________0.0_______________0.0

2006_________13________________15_______________1.5_______________1

2007_________13________________17_______________3.0_______________0.0

2008_________13________________56_______________9.0_______________4.5

clint Sintim is the one we should take in the 1st round. This is what he did on a much weaker Virginia team.

2005________12________________53______________7.0________________3.0

2006________12________________45______________10________________4.0

2007________13________________77______________9.0________________9.0

2008________12________________70______________13_________________11

I have no clue what they see in this kid. He hasn't done anything to impress me at all. take a look what he did at USC.

year__________GP________________TKL______________TFL______________Sacks

2005_________11_________________8_______________0.0_______________0.0

2006_________13________________15_______________1.5_______________1

2007_________13________________17_______________3.0

2008_________13________________56_______________9.0_______________4.5

clint Sintim is the one we should take in the 1st round. This is what he did on a much weaker Virginia team.

2005________12________________53______________7.0________________3.0

2006________12________________45______________10________________4.0

2007________13________________77______________9.0________________9.0

2008________12________________70______________13_________________11

The problem with Sintim is his coverage is some of the worst of the LB core. For a team like the Ravens or Eagles who send the house on every play he would be an absolute stud. For a more conservative cover-2 team likes our that requires the LB's in coverage more it would work against him.

just open your eyes - and then you will see it :rolleyes:

Matthews had to play behind kids like Keith Rivers for 3 years, which is why he only started one year.

He is a former walk on, if I remember right. His patience and work ethic really impress me. He was willing to wait three years before he got his chance.

Sintim is also probably a 2 down linebacker for us, while I believe Matthews could be a 3 down back.

Also, don't discount Matthews for a WLB only. He played DE in some of USC's packages, which tells me he can handle himself at the point of attack.

The problem with Sintim is his coverage is some of the worst of the LB core. For a team like the Ravens or Eagles who send the house on every play he would be an absolute stud. For a more conservative cover-2 team likes our that requires the LB's in coverage more it would work against him.

We should send the whole house, maybe that way we can stop some body . Sintim will do fine either way.

We should send the whole house, maybe that way we can stop some body . Sintim will do fine either way.

I don't think you understand the scheme we run.

Sintim is a perfect OLB in the 3-4. He's a great pass rusher with marginal cover skills. In our scheme he would be a 2 down backer, which isn't good for a OLB in our scheme.

i really dont see what some people see in him either...all he has done is sack a few QBs, which isnt really our system

if your argument is that he couldnt start because he was behing keith rivers ETC, keith left last year, why couldnt this guy take his job or the job of the 4th LB thats not cushing or REY?

im not a college fan, did he get to start last year?

I don't think you understand the scheme we run.

Sintim is a perfect OLB in the 3-4. He's a great pass rusher with marginal cover skills. In our scheme he would be a 2 down backer, which isn't good for a OLB in our scheme.

He can play a 4-3 or 3-4. Virginia defense was so weak, the poor kid had to play more than one position. he will do just fine.

i really dont see what some people see in him either...all he has done is sack a few QBs, which isnt really our system

if your argument is that he couldnt start because he was behing keith rivers ETC, keith left last year, why couldnt this guy take his job or the job of the 4th LB thats not cushing or REY?

im not a college fan, did he get to start last year?

how isnt sacking in our scheme? have you not noticed why teams that have the most sacks are usually in the playoffs....look at the Giants....the front 4 singal handedly defeated the pats last year

I think why he is thought of so highly is his upside he has plenty of head room to get better thats why I think he's rocketed up all the mocks.I think he would go really well with us and I would'nt complain if we took him it would give us a deep and young LB corps for the future I truely can only see upside if we decided to take this guy.He has good intangibles Big motor non stop never gives up on a play good bloodlines it runs in the family.I like him because 3 years ago he was a walk up and earnt his way to being a starter at USC though inexperience to me would be the only knock but I gotta feeling the more this guy plays the better and better he'll get.

ABSOLUTELY

how isnt sacking in our scheme? have you not noticed why teams that have the most sacks are usually in the playoffs....look at the Giants....the front 4 singal handedly defeated the pats last year

That's why we need to draft Clint Sintim. The kid knows how to get after the QB. The falcons inability to sack the Qb throughout the years is a big reason why we fail to get to the SB before 1998. 1 SB since 1965 is very shameful. NY Giant defeated Tom Brady and company because they were able to put enough pressure on him to force him out of his comfort zone. Clint Sintim is the way to go here.

not impressed with USC players inside the NFL....other than Troy.......and I think Rey is going to be Troy @ LB. SIGN HIM!

these are the most simplistic arguments ever.......for awhile something holds true but eventually it breaks......for instance for a long, long time it was Penn State running backs - there were probably 4-5 that were busts.......so what happens, Larry Johnson comes along and lasts until the 27th pick in the 1st round before KC takes him.....

Scouts judge players - not the college itself......

That's why we need to draft Clint Sintim. The kid knows how to get after the QB. The falcons inability to sack the Qb throughout the years is a big reason why we fail to get to the SB before 1998. 1 SB since 1965 is very shameful. NY Giant defeated Tom Brady and company because they were able to put enough pressure on him to force him out of his comfort zone. Clint Sintim is the way to go here.

Stintim is a 3-4 LB.

End of discussion.

The Mock Draft: Version 2.0

Posted by J. Michael Moore, Mar 13 2009, 02:21 PM

No. 24 -- Atlanta Falcons

LB Clay Matthews, USC (Previous Pick: Alphonso Smith)

Flexibility. It's a buzzword that's close to the heart of many a Falcons coach.

Matthews can play a little defensive end but will likely take most of his NFL snaps as a true, outside linebacker.

Adding Mike Peterson continued the reshaping of Atlanta's linebacker corps.

Drafting Matthews would give the team a pass-rusher and a player that can round out the group.

LINK to J. Michael Moore's The Mock Draft: Version 2.0