G-Dawg's 6 round Falcons Draft

g-dawg

1-24) Clay Matthews, OLB-USC - playmaker at linebacker with athleticism and non-stop motor.

2-55) Ron Brace, DT-Boston College - space-eater and big body needed to anchor against the run - 1st/2nd down player.

3-90) Patrick Chung, SS-Oregon - physical/enforcer-type safety that has decent cover skills.

4-121) Asher Allen, CB-Georgia - good nickel cover corner who can also return kicks and punts.

5-135) Phillip Hunt, DE-Houston - immediate situational pass-rusher who could develop into more.

5-152) Andrew Gardner, OT-Georgia Tech - great size at 6'6" and 304lbs. back-up who could develop.

6-183) Ryan Purvis, TE-Boston College - good size at 6'4" and 260lbs - had great chemistry with Matt Ryan two years ago 54 receptions, 8TDs

I think the above draft is as Dimitroff likes to say "needs-based and system specific". I think we get playmakers in Matthews and Chung and the run anchor we need in Ron Brace. I like the upsided of Allen, Hunt and Purvis. Purvis is a "known commodity" to Matt Ryan and he could develop after serving apprenticeship behind Hartsock and Peele.

Don't make me angry. If I ever hear Asher Allen and the Falcons in the same sentence again, I will scream. He went to my high school and I still don't want him near this team. I will say this, it would be kind of cool to have to Tucker Tigers alumni on the team though. It would be cool but no thanks. Asher Allen was good in high school but was way overrated at UGA. Thanks but no thanks. We have a bunch of better CB's already on this roster. I like the rest of the mock though. Give me another 4th round pick and I'm good.

BTW, Tucker won state in football this past season and now their basketball team is playing Miller Grove for the state championship today. They are the underdogs but they are hot right now.

the first 3 picks would be awesome. it would be a monster draft for us but there is no way chung falls to the 3rd round

you could be right but there is a real possibility that ZERO safeties go in the first round. Most conventional wisdom has Louis Delmas #1, William Moore #2, Rashad Johnson at #3 - many think that Sean Smith will be drafted as a safety so we can put him at #4 for now. If no safety gets drafted in the first 32 and lets say for argument that the first safety comes off the board around 40th overall - there is a decent chance that Chung could fall that far - maybe less than 50% but I think 33% chance is possible.......in other words, its not totally inconceivable although I will concede maybe not likely - maybe we trade our 5th rounder to move up in third round to secure him....

very good mock...

I think i'd rather have michael hamlin over Chung for our system though. Just a little more balanced in coverage than Chung....

And I like Gardner, but I kind of want a little more size out of any OL we take, basically so he would be versatile enough to shift to guard if we needed him to. There are a lot of bigger tackles in the draft...

i could definitely live with that draft, but i would prefer different choices at S & CB. Darcel McBath & Keenan Lewis come to mind. i dont think Chung covers as well as we need him to, and Asher is just too small for our system (if we ever want him to start, imo).

EDIT: if Allen is drafted purely as a nickel cb & return guy (as you stated) then im ok with that pick if he can be physical enough. isnt that one of his knocks?

I think we'd have a much better chance of securing the first 3 if we took Chung in the 2nd and Brace in the 3rd

its possible......I just think we have a bigger hole at DT - not buying into the Trey Lewis "hype" right now - hope he comes back strong and good but not counting on it. Given that, and no Grady Jackson, DT/NT is bigger need than safety - especially since we already have Thomas DeCoud (who we don't know what he can do), Jamaal Fudge and Antoine Harris. Yes, I think we need an upgrade but defensive tackle is more strategic IMHO

very good mock...

I think i'd rather have michael hamlin over Chung for our system though. Just a little more balanced in coverage than Chung....

And I like Gardner, but I kind of want a little more size out of any OL we take, basically so he would be versatile enough to shift to guard if we needed him to. There are a lot of bigger tackles in the draft...

thanks from one g-dawg to another :P

Gardner is listed at 6'6" and 304lbs on NFLdraftcountdown - is that not big enough for you?

I wouldn't mind the pick... just saying 10-15 lbs would be nice B)

he's 22 - he will gain 10-15lbs easy over the next few seasons - I even shorted the guy - he is 6'6" and 3/4 - so he is almost 6'7" - he has plenty of room on that frame to add weight - heck, at that height he could put on 25lbs and not be overweight.

he's 22 - he will gain 10-15lbs easy over the next few seasons - I even shorted the guy - he is 6'6" and 3/4 - so he is almost 6'7" - he has plenty of room on that frame to add weight - heck, at that height he could put on 25lbs and not be overweight.

i love the gardner pick.

1-24) Clay Matthews, OLB-USC - playmaker at linebacker with athleticism and non-stop motor.

2-55) Ron Brace, DT-Boston College - space-eater and big body needed to anchor against the run - 1st/2nd down player.

3-90) Patrick Chung, SS-Oregon - physical/enforcer-type safety that has decent cover skills.

4-121) Asher Allen, CB-Georgia - good nickel cover corner who can also return kicks and punts.

5-135) Phillip Hunt, DE-Houston - immediate situational pass-rusher who could develop into more.

5-152) Andrew Gardner, OT-Georgia Tech - great size at 6'6" and 304lbs. back-up who could develop.

6-183) Ryan Purvis, TE-Boston College - good size at 6'4" and 260lbs - had great chemistry with Matt Ryan two years ago 54 receptions, 8TDs

I think the above draft is as Dimitroff likes to say "needs-based and system specific". I think we get playmakers in Matthews and Chung and the run anchor we need in Ron Brace. I like the upsided of Allen, Hunt and Purvis. Purvis is a "known commodity" to Matt Ryan and he could develop after serving apprenticeship behind Hartsock and Peele.

Overall, I would be very happy with your mock draft. I don't think that Brace will last to the end of the second round though. I would prefer a little better cover safety than Chung, but Chung would be very good value in the third round. I'm also a Bulldog fan, but i've never been overly impressed with Asher Allen, although I think he is a decent player. However, I tend to be more critical of Geogia players than I am of others. I really do like Mathews, Brace, Hunt, Gardner, and Purvis in the rounds you indicated.

fantastic draft g-dawg and good work. i hope this is how it works out but i really doubt it will. im really impressed because of almost evryone on these blogs you've grasped the concept of drating for DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!.

-Clay Mathhews= best pick for us in the first round unless A. curry drops (yeah right)

-Ron Brace=exactly what we need at DT but wont be around by the time we're on the clock

-Asher Allen= underrated player who i'd love to have. not much of a ballhawk but has good coverage skills and makes the SURE plays rather than going for the BIG plays.

Overall, I would be very happy with your mock draft. I don't think that Brace will last to the end of the second round though. I would prefer a little better cover safety than Chung, but Chung would be very good value in the third round. I'm also a Bulldog fan, but i've never been overly impressed with Asher Allen, although I think he is a decent player. However, I tend to be more critical of Geogia players than I am of others. I really do like Mathews, Brace, Hunt, Gardner, and Purvis in the rounds you indicated.

I will be the first to admit that we would be fortunate to get Ron Brace at #55 and Patrick Chung at #90 - both are thought to go probably 5-10 picks before our picks.....but its very possible that both could fall to those spots.....

thanks for the overall props

fantastic draft g-dawg and good work. i hope this is how it works out but i really doubt it will. im really impressed because of almost evryone on these blogs you've grasped the concept of drating for DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!.

-Clay Mathhews= best pick for us in the first round unless A. curry drops (yeah right)

-Ron Brace=exactly what we need at DT but wont be around by the time we're on the clock

-Asher Allen= underrated player who i'd love to have. not much of a ballhawk but has good coverage skills and makes the SURE plays rather than going for the BIG plays.

thanks quinntonn.......yes, Falcons must go defense Early and Often B)

2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks i don't like at all.

Rest of the draft is great though.

Brace i 100% hate with a passion for our scheme. The dudes slow as heck and should be strictly a 3-4 Nt in the NFL. In the cover-2 scheme we need a guy who can not only stop the run but put pressure on the QB and collapse the pocket. Guys that can do this are Jerry, Moala, Hood, and in the 3rd to 4th im sorta liking Baker and Sammie Lee Hill.

Chung would not upgrade either safety we got so i see it as a wasted pick. Go with Decoud and Coleman for a year and if Decoud is great then we saved a pick and are set for 10 years. If he isn't what we expect then next year you have 7 to 8 safty's better than the #1 safety in this class to choose from.

Allen i actually like he's just not needed as we are set at CB as far as young talented guys go. We could use a vet there though maybe.

Mathews, Hunt, Gardner, and Purvis i like alot.