Clay Matthews to visit

capATL

Scout.com's Ed Thompson has learned that USC LB Clay Matthews will visit the Atlanta Falcons after USC's Pro Day on April 1st. The gifted linebacker has been one of the fastest risers on draft boards and he's positioned himself to possibly be taken at the end of the first round.

he's raw talent having only started one full season but he's one of those non-stop motor guys, like Patrick Kerney used to be for us.

yeah, maybe only started for one full season, but coming in as a walk on and working your way up that LB ladder at a school like USC gives you alot of credibility IMO

yeah, maybe only started for one full season, but coming in as a walk on and working your way up that LB ladder at a school like USC gives you alot of credibility IMO

with the kind of recruiting they do out there you have to repsect his work ethic for being able to accomplish that.

still need quality depth. at pick 24 it's unlikely we'll get an instant 3-down guy.

agreed, im a fan of Marcus Freeman. hes a guy who can come in and learn behind Peterson for a couple years, then come off the bench and make an impact.

that is great news about Matthews coming to the A-T-L for a visit. If anybody has a link on this I would like to see it - not that I doubt you :)

As far as Peterson/Lofton/Nicholas - yes, I like all of those guys but Peterson is a "stop-gap" at best. Matthews would be the future and if he "lit it up" then Peterson or Nicholas could come off the bench. My guess would be that Nicholas and Matthews would battle over WLB position and the loser would start in 2010 at the SLB position - more than likely I would not be suprised if Peterson is a one year kind of guy.

i hope we dont go LB in the 1st. i would like to see what Nicholas can do. i like the looks of a LB set of Peterson, Lofton, Nicholas.

I totally agree (unless Cush is available). Clay is a try-hard guy and I really really respect what he did at USC but he is being WAY overhyped IMO.

If he was over-hyped then why would TD and MS call him in for a private work-out...HMMM I think not.

Teams are going to schedule workouts with guys weather they are intersted in them are not. I think he is the type of player we would be interested in but not with the 24th overall pick.

You will also have alot of teams that draft someone they have never worked out.....you don't want the opposition knowing what you are doing.

BINGO!!! Zack Follett is the exact player we need.

yeah i like him too. i'm toying with either him or Freeman in my mock.

i'm just not a fan of Matthews in the first. i think he is a beter fit as a 3-4 rush line backer and him, lofton and Peterson would be a slow linebacking corp.

agreed, im a fan of Marcus Freeman. hes a guy who can come in and learn behind Peterson for a couple years, then come off the bench and make an impact.

I think Matthews could learn from peterson as well and be even better as far as impact goes.

yeah i like him too. i'm toying with either him or Freeman in my mock.

i'm just not a fan of Matthews in the first. i think he is a beter fit as a 3-4 rush line backer and him, lofton and Peterson would be a slow linebacking corp.

Mr. Syszlak, please stop sampling your product :P

Slow? Matthews runs in the 4.6's with a 10 yard split better than most of the cbs this year. If there's one thing he is not, its slow. He's very quick, fairly fast, and can jump out of the gym. I think he's got every tool you could want: Work Ethic, Instincts, Leadership, Athleticism, Strength, Bloodlines...what's not to like?

He looked very good dropping in coverage at the combine, which was my only question about him.

i like Clay, but i'm sure multiple teams are getting visits with him. Its going to be hard to get one of the USC guys (except maybe Maluaga) because they worked in a very effective 3-4 and have the ability to play DE with the hand down as well. I believe Cush and this guy are gone before we pick. In fact i bet New England beats us and gets matthews.