Why are we so hard on him?

FalconPio

Now i've read a few comments on some of you guys' take on delmas. (mostly negative) i decided to do my research on him. i think the guy can play some football. now im not saying we get him with the first pick (especially if there is still a top LB on the board). im just wondering why us falcon fans aren't that interested in him. I dont know if im not seeing something that yall are.

Do you mind clearing this up for me?

I would take him if he can be a SS. He could eventually take over for Coleman, who i think is going to be at SS. If he cant play SS and can only play FS then I would rather go with Decoud and possibility take Moore in the 2nd. I definitely dont want to take a Safety in the first.

I would take him if he can be a SS. He could eventually take over for Coleman, who i think is going to be at SS. If he cant play SS and can only play FS then I would rather go with Decoud and possibility take Moore in the 2nd. I definitely dont want to take a Safety in the first.

FS and SS are interchangable in this def. now. TD said both safetys have to be able to tackle and cover. No more in the box safetys that cant cover. Delmas can do both I like him or R. Johnson from bama(2nd)

FS and SS are interchangable in this def. now. TD said both safetys have to be able to tackle and cover. No more in the box safetys that cant cover. Delmas can do both I like him or R. Johnson from bama(2nd)

True that, but he will need to play SS. I think he is a great pick in the 2nd. I am beginning to like Johnson too. We may get the Clemons dude in the 3rd though. I am against spending a 1st on a Safety. We really need to trade down and pick up two picks in the 2nd and a 4th or something.

I think he is more suited for the free safety spot, but I'll admit.... Kid's a baller...

But we may have to take our time finding the permanent guy for the SS spot.... If you read TD's interview a little while back, he made it clear exactly the type of SS he is looking for.... According to his statement, if there is one place on the defense that TD wants to spend the big bucks, it's at strong safety.... I don't remember verbatum what he said, but basically, he was looking for a top-rated guy at strong safety..... ........and a big, hard-hitting SS that can still bring help over the top..... He specifically mentioned "220 lbs" and the names "Troy Polamalu" and "Ed Reed" when discussing the vision he has for our future strong safety.....

Now, both Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu fall way short of the 220 lbs mark, but they are BIG hitters who also happen to be ballhawks.....

So take from that what you may, but TD and Coach Smith are obviously looking for a very special player at SS..... The calibre of player he was describing gave me the impression that it might be another year before we fill that void long term, because I highly doubt there are any true strong safeties available this season (via FA or draft) that even come close to the standard of the two names he threw out there...

Like I said, Take from it what you like... On one hand he mentions 220 lbs, on the other he mentions two top-of-the-line SS that bring the wood and cover the deep zone, but barely break 200 lbs.....

You gotta remember, there is always gonna be some smoke screen this time of year, so you have to take everything you hear with a grain of salt....

I think he is more suited for the free safety spot, but I'll admit.... Kid's a baller...

But we may have to take our time finding the permanent guy for the SS spot.... If you read TD's interview a little while back, he made it clear exactly the type of SS he is looking for.... According to his statement, if there is one place on the defense that TD wants to spend the big bucks, it's at strong safety.... I don't remember verbatum what he said, but basically, he was looking for a top-rated guy at strong safety..... ........and a big, hard-hitting SS that can still bring help over the top..... He specifically mentioned "220 lbs" and the names "Troy Polamalu" and "Ed Reed" when discussing the vision he has for our future strong safety.....

Now, both Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu fall way short of the 220 lbs mark, but they are BIG hitters who also happen to be ballhawks.....

So take from that what you may, but TD and Coach Smith are obviously looking for a very special player at SS..... The calibre of player he was describing gave me the impression that it might be another year before we fill that void long term, because I highly doubt there are any true strong safeties available this season (via FA or draft) that even come close to the standard of the two names he threw out there...

Like I said, Take from it what you like... On one hand he mentions 220 lbs, on the other he mentions two top-of-the-line SS that bring the wood and cover the deep zone, but barely break 200 lbs.....

You gotta remember, there is always gonna be some smoke screen this time of year, so you have to take everything you hear with a grain of salt....

well said. makes sense

You think doesn't mean they will.

Well, in his defense, I'm pretty sure that's why he said, "I think"........

Personally, I don't see us moving back (and let me clarify, just because I dont think they will move back, doesn't means that it is etched in stone)......

None of us know what we have in store for us on Draft Day, because none of us are employed by the Atlanta Falcons, nor have any of us done even a fraction of the homework TD & Co. have done on these players........

That said, my opinion is that we will either move up (something I haven't said in many years), or we will stay put and take the "best available player at 24 that FITS THE SCHEME. I can't stress enough how much TD has emphasized that, just because a guy is the top-rated player at his position, doesn't make him the top rated guy for our scheme......

Let's just put our trust in the "Executive of the Year" and his cohorts to make the picks that are not right for the sports writers, but for the ATLANTA FALCONS...... Keep in mind..... When TD drafted the Offensive Rookie of the Year with the 1st round pick, he drew criticism from sports writers and fans alike (I too was a fan of that "next Warren Sapp guy")... On Draft Day, our boys in the War Room will be better equipped than any poster or sports writer..... And given the fact that last year's crop was one of the best in Falcons history (probably THE best), I have faith that they will be well prepared again come Draft Day....... Until then, Chris, yourself, and every other poster has the right to speak an opinion....... Even though we all know what they say opinions are like............ :)

Some fans have a hard time grasping the concept of the "square peg in a round hole" concept...... The #1 rule in the Patriots recipe that TD has brought to ATL is that every position has a very clear and defined role... He has made this clear time and time again...... It's not about drafting the "best available player", it is about drafting the best available player that has the tools to be the perfect fit for OUR scheme.....

We all have the right to state what we "think" they will do on draft day....... But never did Chris say that we will absolutely be moving down.... he was just stating an opinion... And at the end of the day, his opinion holds no more water than yours, mine, or tht of any other poster on these boards......

I can't even COUNT how many times the Falcons absolutely "blew my mind" with the first pick...... Duckett (right after signing Dunn long-term), Roddy White, Matt Ryan (glad I was wrong in both cases), etc......

TD''s comments about 220 lbs were not saying we are looking for that. i believe he was saying that now with the hybrid S philosophy he is no longer looking for that 220 lb in-the-box monster. if you look at the patriots roster all of their safeties are 6' 200lb. though i do agree with you that he has his eye out for a top-shelf SS/FS. imho that will come from next years massively excellent S class. but if he sees something extra special in Delmas or Moore i wouldnt be surprised to see them selected.

TD''s comments about 220 lbs were not saying we are looking for that. i believe he was saying that now with the hybrid S philosophy he is no longer looking for that 220 lb in-the-box monster. if you look at the patriots roster all of their safeties are 6' 200lb. though i do agree with you that he has his eye out for a top-shelf SS/FS. imho that will come from next years massively excellent S class. but if he sees something extra special in Delmas or Moore i wouldnt be surprised to see them selected.

Fair enough....

That is exactly why I said that you have to take everything you hear with a grain of salt....... The smoke screen this time of year is thicker than the air used to be in Peter Tosh's living room..... B)

Well, in his defense, I'm pretty sure that's why he said, "I think"........

Personally, I don't see us moving back (and let me clarify, just because I dont think they will move back, doesn't means that it is etched in stone)......

None of us know what we have in store for us on Draft Day, because none of us are employed by the Atlanta Falcons, nor have any of us done even a fraction of the homework TD & Co. have done on these players........

I would work for free just to know what is going on ! Even be a fly on the wall. Hide the fly flaps !

That said, my opinion is that we will either move up (something I haven't said in many years), or we will stay put and take the "best available player at 24 that FITS THE SCHEME. I can't stress enough how much TD has emphasized that, just because a guy is the top-rated player at his position, doesn't make him the top rated guy for our scheme......

Let's just put our trust in the "Executive of the Year" and his cohorts to make the picks that are not right for the sports writers, but for the ATLANTA FALCONS...... Keep in mind..... When TD drafted the Offensive Rookie of the Year with the 1st round pick, he drew criticism from sports writers and fans alike (I too was a fan of that "next Warren Sapp guy")... On Draft Day, our boys in the War Room will be better equipped than any poster or sports writer..... And given the fact that last year's crop was one of the best in Falcons history (probably THE best), I have faith that they will be well prepared again come Draft Day....... Until then, Chris, yourself, and every other poster has the right to speak an opinion....... Even though we all know what they say opinions are like............ :)

Some fans have a hard time grasping the concept of the "square peg in a round hole" concept...... The #1 rule in the Patriots recipe that TD has brought to ATL is that every position has a very clear and defined role... He has made this clear time and time again...... It's not about drafting the "best available player", it is about drafting the best available player that has the tools to be the perfect fit for OUR scheme.....

We all have the right to state what we "think" they will do on draft day....... But never did Chris say that we will absolutely be moving down.... he was just stating an opinion... And at the end of the day, his opinion holds no more water than yours, mine, or tht of any other poster on these boards......

I can't even COUNT how many times the Falcons absolutely "blew my mind" with the first pick...... Duckett (right after signing Dunn long-term), Roddy White, Matt Ryan (glad I was wrong in both cases), etc......

delmas has average at best cover skills, he is a younger version of roy williams, and if we were going to go that route id rather sign roy and let someone else take a chance on drafting delmas as a bust player.

Now i think we should cut a deal with the lions and offer our number one spot and vick for the first pick and take curry who will most definately be an unstoppable force in the NFL barring any injuries, or if we need to throw in a third rounder go for it man curry is a true beast!!

delmas has average at best cover skills, he is a younger version of roy williams, and if we were going to go that route id rather sign roy and let someone else take a chance on drafting delmas as a bust player.

Now i think we should cut a deal with the lions and offer our number one spot and vick for the first pick and take curry who will most definately be an unstoppable force in the NFL barring any injuries, or if we need to throw in a third rounder go for it man curry is a true beast!!

have you ever read anything about Delmas?

and there is NO way we are going to be able to trade Vick to ANYBODY, much less the number 1 pick in the draft....

that would be a very very AWESOME scenario. but being realistic, probably wouldn't happen. but it doesn't hurt to wonder.

Fair enough....

That is exactly why I said that you have to take everything you hear with a grain of salt....... The smoke screen this time of year is thicker than the air used to be in Peter Tosh's living room..... B)

ya, the smoke is everywhere. with much of this i cant tell what is bluff and what is double bluff (truth). TD's true angle on this year's Ss & TEs has been an enigma to me. also there is a position that we are staying relatively quiet about (DE) [MJ feels like smoke].

that is abouslty ridicious.