My take on TD

In my 29 years of following this team I don't recall any one of our GM's that spent so much time poring over scouting reports and watching game tape as much as Dimitroff does. I know when it comes time for the draft, TD would have done enough research and his homework on these potential new Falcons for me to feel confident about.

If he manages to pull off a draft like last years there might be initial whispering around the league of the Falcons being one of the better drafting teams in the league. The comparisons to the elite teams such as the Colts, Patriots, and Steelers of being teams that not only draft but sign FA's that fit the system might start to be made.

In analyzing his moves in FA both Romberg and Peterson fit the scheme of what the Falcons run. Romberg played under Boudreau in St. Louis and will probably replace either Wilkerson or Stepnovich. Peterson played under Smitty in Jacksonville and will compete for a starting OLB spot and be the primary back up for Lofton at MLB.

These are smart, smart, moves. You cannot draft for a system while signing FA's that don't fit. That's a contradiction. Moves like these is what made the above mentioned teams what they are today; elite. In seeing this is enough of a reason for optimism on our MB these days.

Well, I can't speak for anybody else but it's enough of a reason for me to be optimistic :lol: .

In looking back at our recent regime change I found myself asking myself the same question over and over again. Who would I prefer to fill out the draft card before it's handed to the commish at the podium on draft day; the Princeton lawyer, or the NFL scout?

Hmmm. . . my money is on the scout hands down. . . . . . Sorry Rich.

But make no mistake, the more knowledgeable NFL insiders are watching Dimitroff closely. If he reaches a level of success,

and with the NFL being a copy cat league that it is, don't be surprised that Thomas Dimitroff clones start popping up in GM's post through out the NFL.

Mark my words, he is the prototype. And I'm willing to put my eggs in the basket to see what hatches out.

Truthfully speaking, I feel confident about the Romberg signing, but the Peterson one? Meh. Peterson may come in and not be the contributor that we "hope" he will be, but I still won't lose any trust in our head coach and GM. Just knowing that those two take careful consideration of who we bring into the locker room by studying and analyzing FAs and potential draft picks gives me enough reason to be confident that the Falcons are in good hands.

In my 29 years of following this team I don't recall any one of our GM's that spent so much time poring over scouting reports and watching game tape as much as Dimitroff does. I know when it comes time for the draft, TD would have done enough research and his homework on these potential new Falcons for me to feel confident about.

If he manages to pull off a draft like last years there might be initial whispering around the league of the Falcons being one of the better drafting teams in the league. The comparisons to the elite teams such as the Colts, Patriots, and Steelers of being teams that not only draft but sign FA's that fit the system might start to be made.

In analyzing his moves in FA both Romberg and Peterson fit the scheme of what the Falcons run. Romberg played under Boudreau in St. Louis and will probably replace either Wilkerson or Stepnovich. Peterson played under Smitty in Jacksonville and will compete for a starting OLB spot and be the primary back up for Lofton at MLB.

These are smart, smart, moves. You cannot draft for a system while signing FA's that don't fit. That's a contradiction. Moves like these is what made the above mentioned teams what they are today; elite. In seeing this is enough of a reason for optimism on our MB these days.

Well, I can't speak for anybody else but it's enough of a reason for me to be optimistic :lol: .

In looking back at our recent regime change I found myself asking myself the same question over and over again. Who would I prefer to fill out the draft card before it's handed to the commish at the podium on draft day; the Princeton lawyer, or the NFL scout?

Hmmm. . . my money is on the scout hands down. . . . . . Sorry Rich.

But make no mistake, the more knowledgeable NFL insiders are watching Dimitroff closely. If he reaches a level of success,

and with the NFL being a copy cat league that it is, don't be surprised that Thomas Dimitroff clones start popping up in GM's post through out the NFL.

Mark my words, he is the prototype. And I'm willing to put my eggs in the basket to see what hatches out.

Fine post! In the past it seemed we would sign a free agent or make a trade to make a splash "Look like we're doing something!" It looked like marketing was making the decisions. Now, the football guys, TD and Smitty are in control. It's easy to sell tickets when you are winning!

I'm with you, brother. TD is THE MAN! I believe he will do the best possible thing with the opportunities that present themselves. That means he is still limited by things outside of his control (like prices for free agents being too high because other teams are dumb), but he will nail the things that he can control. And over the medium-to-long-term, that is going to make us a great team.

Remember, it was TD who taught Lance Armstrong that, when you fall off your bike, you have to get right back on it. TD mows his lawn just by thinking about it. TD can lead a horse to water AND make it drink.

Part of the problem in the past was all the stupid moves this franchise has made which I won't get into. If you been a Falcons fan for any length of time you know what I'm talking about.

I think this guy's too smart to make those same mistakes that's kept this organization down in the past. Will he hit on all his draft picks? Probably not. But I bet he hits on enough of them to keep this team competitive for a long, long, time.

If he can't do it, then I don't know who can. Maybe only God knows.

I've got admit after Ryan,Baker and Lofton initially I was a little disappointed in Douglas,DeCoud and Bierman picks but they all look like they will be solid contributors in 2009. These picks along with Chevis Jackson gave the Falcons what seems to be one of their best drafts in a long time if not ever.This could be a function that the coaching staff was willing to play these guys and let them get their feet wet,but I year into the Dimitroff era i am not disappointed in any of these picks.

This draft is gonna be significantly more difficult but hopefully TD's knowledge will get exactly what the Falcons lack on both sides of the ball.

Fine post! In the past it seemed we would sign a free agent or make a trade to make a splash "Look like we're doing something!" It looked like marketing was making the decisions. Now, the football guys, TD and Smitty are in control. It's easy to sell tickets when you are winning!

Wow you summed it up great. It was more about marketing and generating excitement rather than focus on actually winning consistently. With a few exceptions in players the consistent winners are boring winners. One of the reasons I really started to have faith in this team was because of 3rd down conversions and controlling the clock. That is boring but it is how you win week after week against any opponent. Sure it is exciting to thrown the big bombs or break out into major runs but you cannot count on those to win games consistently. A well orchestrated march down the field will demoralize a defense as well as tire them out and keep your own defense fresh.