Remember the "happy" wife of the Player in the boat incident?

Jedi-Falcon

The woman that didnt seem too upset that her husband was lost at sea in an interview. Well she is cashing in...

------------------------

Wife of NFL boater files for death certificate

Associated Press

add this RSS blog email print

Updated: March 12, 2009, 12:57 PM EST

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - NFL player Marquis Cooper's wife is seeking a presumptive death certificate a week after the Coast Guard called off its search for the missing boater and two friends.

Tragedy at sea

Corey Smith Photos: Corey Smith and Marquis Cooper made their mark on the NFL. We look at images of them on the field. Video: Nick Schuyler's doctor called it a 'miracle' that he survived at sea for two days. Hear what else the doctor said about Schuyler's medical condition.

Rebekah Cooper filed a petition for the certificate Wednesday in civil court in Florida.

The Oakland Raiders linebacker departed from Clearwater Pass west of Tampa Feb. 28 in a 21-foot boat. He was with free-agent NFL defensive lineman Corey Smith and two former University of South Florida football players.

Their boat overturned after encountering rough waters in the Gulf of Mexico.

Nick Schuyler was found clinging to the boat two days later. The other men have not been found.

With the presumptive death certificate, Cooper's beneficiaries can collect life insurance and other benefits.

---------------------

<_<

There are people out there who think there's something fishy going on here for multiple other reasons....

...and a week is waaay too soon. I mean I've never been married but I can tell you know if this had happened to someone I was married too I'd be desperatley clinging on to any kind of hope for a very long time. Someone would have to approach me to tell me its time give up, as if I were the last one. And I think I'm speaking for a good 90% of the population too.

She didn't waste much time.

I am not going to make accusations about her, maybe she has a family to take care of and it has been at least a week. Since he is not playing anymore the family does have needs that are going to have to be taken care or. But i could be wrong.

I think this is just disgusting. Her tv interview was the first tip-off - she showed no upset emotions over her husband being lost at sea. In fact, she seemed almost pleased. Maybe they had a bad marriage. Maybe she didn't want to be with him. But this seems disgraceful to me.

I think this woman married him only for his money. And how shocking is that - women never do that...

You are assuming way too much...

Remember, these players are the ones that get paid major $$$'s and, as such, do what they can to minimize taxes. They incorporate themselves (usually several times with different corporate names), they form foundations, they own businesses (in one of their corporate names, or some other type of business entity), etc. All of that makes complete sense...but doesn't do much good when the utility bill comes in, the mortgage is due, the refrigerator is empty, the bills for all these entities are showing up in the mail...and the person who either singlely or jointly with another person(s) authorizes transfers from an account isn't around to do that anymore. There used to be a time when these guys would divest all control of their financial affairs to some other person, but the smart ones don't do that now. So, before you ask, the answer is yes...there likely is an accountant(s), lawyer(s), business manager(s), and the like...but it is also likely that none of them on their own or jointly can move around the money necessary to keep everything going...they need the player or someone legally authorized to act on behalf of the player's estate. In fact, it was probably one of those accountants, lawyers, and/or business managers that told the spouse she needed to get his estate opened and the steps to get it done.

I am not going to make accusations about her, maybe she has a family to take care of and it has been at least a week. Since he is not playing anymore the family does have needs that are going to have to be taken care or. But i could be wrong.

Be honest about the situation. He was being paid NFL salary. He could have been on the League minimum and have 25 kids. it doesn't matter- they HAD enough money to last at least a week!!! This is very very very shady.

I think this is just disgusting. Her tv interview was the first tip-off - she showed no upset emotions over her husband being lost at sea. In fact, she seemed almost pleased. Maybe they had a bad marriage. Maybe she didn't want to be with him. But this seems disgraceful to me.

I think this woman married him only for his money. And how shocking is that - women never do that...

Its not like guys dont know that though...we shouldnt fall for that crap...but plenty of guys continue to get into relationships with very superficial women, which just goes on perpetuating the problem.

You are assuming way too much...

Remember, these players are the ones that get paid major $$$'s and, as such, do what they can to minimize taxes. They incorporate themselves (usually several times with different corporate names), they form foundations, they own businesses (in one of their corporate names, or some other type of business entity), etc. All of that makes complete sense...but doesn't do much good when the utility bill comes in, the mortgage is due, the refrigerator is empty, the bills for all these entities are showing up in the mail...and the person who either singlely or jointly with another person(s) authorizes transfers from an account isn't around to do that anymore. There used to be a time when these guys would divest all control of their financial affairs to some other person, but the smart ones don't do that now. So, before you ask, the answer is yes...there likely is an accountant(s), lawyer(s), business manager(s), and the like...but it is also likely that none of them on their own or jointly can move around the money necessary to keep everything going...they need the player or someone legally authorized to act on behalf of the player's estate.

I understand bills need to be paid. But it isn't about that with this woman. She has publically showed no remorse for the loss of her husband. And now she is cashing in his life insurance policy while the body is still warm. But whatever, more power to her. Like I said maybe they had a bad marriage and she didn't like him anymore. Who knows. I just find it strange that the woman people talked about showing no sad feelings at her husband's "potential loss" at the time, is the first one to run to the bank.

Overreact much?

I understand bills need to be paid. But it isn't about that with this woman. She has publically showed no remorse for the loss of her husband. And now she is cashing in his life insurance policy while the body is still warm. But whatever, more power to her. Like I said maybe they had a bad marriage and she didn't like him anymore. Who knows. I just find it strange that the woman people talked about showing no sad feelings at her husband's "potential loss" at the time, is the first one to run to the bank.

I also think it is a mistake to judge people by how they react to grief. As I've posted before, I've seen people laughing hysterically in the face of loss...I've also seen them so devistated talking was beyond what they could do.

This isn't just about the wife's bills needed to be paid...remember those corporation(s), foundation(s), and other business entities I spoke of above...employees of those entities need to be paid, as does the businesses insurance, leases, etc. The wife would be foolish (not to mention opening up the estate to liability) to simply let everything stop functioning for any period of time.

I'm in agreement with Jedi on this one. Even more, I thought both interviews I saw with his dad were odd as well. Neither came off as upset at all, and the father, I felt, was even holding back a smirk or something. He could have been fighting off tears but it didnt look that way. Maybe the guy was a jerk.

I'm in agreement with Jedi on this one. Even more, I thought both interviews I saw with his dad were odd as well. Neither came off as upset at all, and the father, I felt, was even holding back a smirk or something. He could have been fighting off tears but it didnt look that way. Maybe the guy was a jerk.

Him and his dad were very close...they played multiple videos about him out here in Phoenix because he grew up and played high school ball here. One video was from last year, and it was about him and his dad fishing with a news crew.

Jedi, overall I think your pretty crazy. ;) But I think you are dead on with this one. It is kind of fishy for her to have no emotion in the interviews and cash in right away like that. I know if my wife went missing, I would be still looking instead of concentrating on getting paid the fastest.

The woman that didnt seem too upset that her husband was lost at sea in an interview. Well she is cashing in...

------------------------

Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - NFL player Marquis Cooper's wife is seeking a presumptive death certificate a week after the Coast Guard called off its search for the missing boater and two friends.

Tragedy at sea

Corey Smith Photos: Corey Smith and Marquis Cooper made their mark on the NFL. We look at images of them on the field. Video: Nick Schuyler's doctor called it a 'miracle' that he survived at sea for two days. Hear what else the doctor said about Schuyler's medical condition.

Rebekah Cooper filed a petition for the certificate Wednesday in civil court in Florida.

The Oakland Raiders linebacker departed from Clearwater Pass west of Tampa Feb. 28 in a 21-foot boat. He was with free-agent NFL defensive lineman Corey Smith and two former University of South Florida football players.

Nick Schuyler was found clinging to the boat two days later. The other men have not been found.

With the presumptive death certificate, Cooper's beneficiaries can collect life insurance and other benefits.

---------------------

<_<

Blah,Blah,Blah BORING

I also think it is a mistake to judge people by how they react to grief. As I've posted before, I've seen people laughing hysterically in the face of loss...I've also seen them so devistated talking was beyond what they could do.

This isn't just about the wife's bills needed to be paid...remember those corporation(s), foundation(s), and other business entities I spoke of above...employees of those entities need to be paid, as does the businesses insurance, leases, etc. The wife would be foolish (not to mention opening up the estate to liability) to simply let everything stop functioning for any period of time.

Why nobody is listening to the actual LAWYER in the thread is beyond me. Oregonsfan is right on the money, some things MUST be done quickly in order to qualify under certain programs. Take the birth of a child, in order for this be considered a qualifying event and for the child to be added to your health insurance you must provide a birth certificate within 30 days of the birth, not 31 not 32, 30. If you fail to do that you've forfeited adding your child to any standard health insurance until the next enrollment period. The same type of thing applies to life insurance claims, despite your grief or joy you don't have very much time to handle insurance claims.

What would we do without internet message boards to gossip, speculate and tear down those that we honestly don't know?!?!? :rolleyes:

Jedi, overall I think your pretty crazy. ;) But I think you are dead on with this one. It is kind of fishy for her to have no emotion in the interviews and cash in right away like that. I know if my wife went missing, I would be still looking instead of concentrating on getting paid the fastest.

So you know for a fact that she isn't hysterically crying off camera? Why do people have to grieve in public?

For anyone who's ever wondered why football fans are often tagged as sexist imbeciles, look no further than this thread for the reason.

"Happy" wife? I watched several interviews with Rebakah Cooper and all I saw was a woman who didn't know the fate of her husband and was trying her best to be hopeful and positive while barely holding it together. Did anyone see an interview with the "happy" wife after the search had been called off? No? I didn't think so.

This thread smacks of when Patsy Ramsey was convicted in the court of public opinion of being a child murderer simply because she didn't sufficiently lose control of her emotions during press conferences. Nobody but close friends and family knows how people deal with their grief behind closed doors.

As for the death certificate thing, it has been 11 days since Nick Schuyler was found and the search for the others was called off. The human body can only survive for a week without water - even less when it's suffering from hypothermia, salt water ingestion and fatigue from trying to stay afloat with no life jacket. Marquis Cooper is dead. How much longer is his widow supposed to wait to take care of the business that every spouse who has just lost a loved one is required to take care of?

I suppose when women won't give you the time of day because you're a loser, it's just easier to assume that they are all heartless gold diggers.

------------------------

Associated Press

Tragedy at sea

She must have tipped the boat! :unsure:

Come on man, let sleeping dogs lie. Even if it is a little soon, as a wife, she's entitled to that money.

Why should she? She still has bills to pay I assume. No need to ley the insurance company hold it. I doubt the insurance company was very patient in collecting their payments.

It has nothing to do with grieving or not either way. It's doing what you gotta do.

And that is true whether the deceased spouse is an NFL player or not...it's not fun and it's certainly not what you want to do, but it has to be done. For all we know, she had to get the death certificate so she could open his esate and get his Will out of the safe deposit box.

• 2 weeks later...