Woe... The Nation of Islam Doesn't Really Follow Islam

womfalcs3

I've always assumed they did. I was just channel surfing, and ran across a sermon being delivered by Louis Farrakhan in a church. It was pretty comical, actually. Pretty stupid.

Anyway, I went ahead to read up on the Nation of Islam some more, because he said some things that were questionable in relation to Islam.

For one thing, they believe that their founder is God in the flesh? That he, this Fard guy, taught Elijah. They believe that Elijah was a prophet of God's.

They also believe that the Quran isn't the word of God, as Muslims do, but that it is the writings of all prophets combined.

They also never participated in Jum'ah prayer, which is a requirement, until this decade.

The Nation of Islam also doesn't believe in racial equality, which has been known due to Malcolm X's story. He left the Nation to join traditional Islam once he saw how all races were equal during Hajj when he went to Makkah. That's what got him killed by the Nation.

I figured they at least adhered to the fundamentals of Islam, but they do not.

They do uphold the 5 pillars of the religion, but they believe their founder is God Himself? They also miss out on many required actions and beliefs that aren't branched from the pillars.

They also believe the founder and Elijah Mohammed are on a spaceship and are coming back to help eradicate the white man.

Just FYI.

They do uphold the 5 pillars of the religion, but they believe their founder is God Himself? They also miss out on many required actions and beliefs that aren't branched from the pillars.

I had always heard that they were not accepted by Islamic traditionalists, but never knew exactly why. Interesting stuff.

I've always assumed they did. I was just channel surfing, and ran across a sermon being delivered by Louis Farrakhan in a church. It was pretty comical, actually. Pretty stupid.

Anyway, I went ahead to read up on the Nation of Islam some more, because he said some things that were questionable in relation to Islam.

For one thing, they believe that their founder is God in the flesh? That he, this Fard guy, taught Elijah. They believe that Elijah was a prophet of God's.

They also believe that the Quran isn't the word of God, as Muslims do, but that it is the writings of all prophets combined.

They also never participated in Jum'ah prayer, which is a requirement, until this decade.

The Nation of Islam also doesn't believe in racial equality, which has been known due to Malcolm X's story. He left the Nation to join traditional Islam once he saw how all races were equal during Hajj when he went to Makkah. That's what got him killed by the Nation.

I figured they at least adhered to the fundamentals of Islam, but they do not.

I disagree with the Nation on many things

But I don't like the demonization of them

They did a lot of good things for black people and helped turn a common street thug into one of the greatest intellectuals of the 20th century

Moreover, doesn't it state in the Quran that there cannot be another prophet until at least 1000 years after Mohammad?

Well it is long past that, so technically it is not anti-Islamic to accept Elijah as a prophet (not saying he's a prophet, just saying that it's not against Islam for one to believe that)

I disagree with the Nation on many things

But I don't like the demonization of them

They did a lot of good things for black people and helped turn a common street thug into one of the greatest intellectuals of the 20th century

Moreover, doesn't it state in the Quran that there cannot be another prophet until at least 1000 years after Mohammad?

Well it is long past that, so technically it is not anti-Islamic to accept Elijah as a prophet (not saying he's a prophet, just saying that it's not against Islam for one to believe that)

Nope. Doesn't say that. There is no other prophet after him, is what it says. What it also says, the next time we'll see a prophet, is when Jesus comes back to reunite the Earth under God's word. That's not really another prophet, that a previous prophet making a comeback.

i thought malcom x gave a better interpretation of what the nation of islam was supposed to be....a way to unify the black society and spark unity in the family and community.

unfortunately, the radical islamists take the teachings to the extreme....I wouldn't say that they don't follow islam...in a way they do....it's just like with catholicism, judaism, christianity, protestants....basically the same beliefs but altered per sect....

i thought malcom x gave a better interpretation of what the nation of islam was supposed to be....a way to unify the black society and spark unity in the family and community.

unfortunately, the radical islamists take the teachings to the extreme....I wouldn't say that they don't follow islam...in a way they do....it's just like with catholicism, judaism, christianity, protestants....basically the same beliefs but altered per sect....

This is the best way to describe it, IMO.

It's my opinion that the Nation of Islam in America came to be partly due as an radical alternative religion to the hypocritical Southern white Christian values (the same values that crapped all over black civil rights in America since Reconstruction).

It's no surprise to me that they don't know all of the in's and out's of Islam. I wonder why they chose Islam. They could have easily chosen Buddism.

It's my opinion that the Nation of Islam in America came to be partly due as an radical alternative religion to the hypocritical Southern white Christian values (the same values that crapped all over black civil rights in America since Reconstruction).

It's no surprise to me that they don't know all of the in's and out's of Islam. I wonder why they chose Islam. They could have easily chosen Buddism.

They were black nationalists, why would they choose a religion which hardly any black people practice?

Islam is/was widely practiced in Africa, so it was a more natural choice than Buddhism

Also, Buddhism is very outerworldly (at least in its pure form -- it was changed to appeal to the mainstream). It basically advocates the lifestyle of a monk. Complete celibacy, asceticism, isolation, often silence. A complete rejection of worldly pleasures. That's not exactly the ideal religion for a group which is militant and politically active. Islam is much more worldly. Islam states that it is OK to fight, so long as it if in defence of your community (this is called the "lesser jahad," and could certainly be applied to the black communities in 1950s and 1960s America). So I think Islam was the ideal choice (even though the Nation basically created their own degenerate version of the tradition).