what is everybodies thoughts on the TE's in the draft?

pettigrew-immense talent, but i prefer defense in rd one.

cook-this years dustin keller. keller was better than i anticipated last year and cook may be too, but i wanted john carlson who was better.

coffman-best TE in the draft IMO. this years carlson and the guy i want but he like carlson will go in rd 2.

nelson-i dont like his hands. i did'nt like roddy whites hands either and crossed him off my list. i still dont like his hands.

casey-very interesting, but if he is nothing more than a pumped up WR, can he block a lick? does'nt a TE have to a little bit?

ingram-durable? not enough field time for me to trust in what i/m getting. i worry about suspect hands.

beckum-fragile but he reels it in. character is questioned, but i like him in rd 3.

morrah-did'nt do enough where it counts for me. combine results were good, but film gets you drafted.

anthony hill-big hands really gobble up the football. nice in line blocker too. if he fell to rd 6 i'd take him to compete for #3 TE spot.

I like the idea of drafting a Jeremey Shockey/Kellen Winslow type of TE just not before round 3 or maybe even 4. i think we have more pressing needs on defense and adding a TE on offense would just be a complement whereas adding an OLB, S, CB, or DT would be filling a major need

I like the idea of drafting a Jeremey Shockey/Kellen Winslow type of TE just not before round 3 or maybe even 4. i think we have more pressing needs on defense and adding a TE on offense would just be a complement whereas adding an OLB, S, CB, or DT would be filling a major need

CORNELIUS INGRAM... I WANT HIM ON THE FALCONS BADLY VERY UNDERRATED if he develpos his blocking skillls he will probably the best TE in the draft and he could have came out last year and have been a lock in the 2nd round yet he decided to come back to Florida to try to win another national championship for the Florida Gators and then one spring practice tore his ACL and went out for the season now he is at full health... any one else interested in INGRAM? thoghts??

Don't really like the class with the exception of Pettigrew and some late round guys. Most of them are just big WRs that play TE in a spread offense (Cook, Nelson, Coffman, Ingram, ...) and have no clue about blocking. Nelson at least is a willing blocker as far as I've heard from interviews, but at the moment he's not really good at it, but there's at least some potential.

If it was up to me I'd either take Pettigrew in the 1st, Nelson in the late 3rd (I know he won't fall that far, but that's where his value is) or a late-round project (6t round or UDFA) like Drew or Bronson.

Don't really like the class with the exception of Pettigrew and some late round guys. Most of them are just big WRs that play TE in a spread offense (Cook, Nelson, Coffman, Ingram, ...) and have no clue about blocking. Nelson at least is a willing blocker as far as I've heard from interviews, but at the moment he's not really good at it, but there's at least some potential.

If it was up to me I'd either take Pettigrew in the 1st, Nelson in the late 3rd (I know he won't fall that far, but that's where his value is) or a late-round project (6t round or UDFA) like Drew or Bronson.

The thing is we can afford to take one of those players and teach them to block since we have Hartstock on the Roster to be primarily used as a Blocking TE.

The thing is we can afford to take one of those players and teach them to block since we have Hartstock on the Roster to be primarily used as a Blocking TE.

But we couldn't use them without tipping our hand. My problem is that if you bring in a guy like Cook/Coffman/Ingram, everybody knows that it's most likely a pass-play, so you limit the situations you can bring him in to long 3rd downs.

Nelson is a little different since he blocked a little, he's a 1.5 down guy for me. LJ Smith for example could play even more downs, since he's not that bad a blocker ... Pettigrew is a 3 down guy, you could even play him in heavy-rush-formations. To me Cook/Coffman/Ingram and Co are just oversized WRs and I look at them as WRs and not TEs ... Cook with his speed would even be used best as WR in the NFL, he could make a good #2 WR (in a WCO) with some experience.

In round 1 and 2 I want players who are very likely to start ... in round 3 somebody who has at least a chance to fight for a starting spot (that's why I would take Nelson there, but not Cook, Ingram or Coffman) and after that it's pretty much gambling the rest of the way, trying to get the most talent.

chase coffman.

been saying that we'll draft him for a while now. he's got the best hands in the entire draft and has toughness for years. I think he's the kind of player we need. Big, tall, and extra reliable.

plus everytime TD talks about TEs, he specifically mentions Coffman.

i think the only TEs we would consider are ones who have the athleticism and speed to stretch the seam, have great hands, and have the willingness and intensity to one day become solid blockers (+ intangibles of course). its tough to say for sure which ones fall into this last category (blocking), but i think Nelson and Morrah are the two closest to the whole package. I like Morrah better because he can be had later. i love Drew too, but he doesnt have the same level of deep speed.

I like the idea of drafting a Jeremey Shockey/Kellen Winslow type of TE just not before round 3 or maybe even 4.

This makes no sense. A lot of people say this - "I wish we could get a Kellen Winslow Jr./Dallas Clark type of TE.....but not one day one."

In order to get a TE like that, you have to take one at least on the 1st day of the draft, and most likely in the 1st round.

Kellen Winslow -- Round 1, Pick 6

Dallas Clark -- Round 1, Pick 24

Heath Miller -- Round 1, Pick 30

Jeremy Shockey -- Round 1, Pick 14

Vernon Davis -- Round 1, Pick 6

Tony Gonzalez -- Round 1, Pick 13

Rare exception: Jason Witten (3rd round)

Never going to happen again, ever: Antonio Gates (undrafted)

Tight end isn't really that important in the Mularkey system and a gem can be found on day 2.

i have been considering this a lot, about Mularkey & TEs. until recently i have been favoring late round TEs that can be dual threat but are at least solid blockers. But after seeing us flirt with someone like LJ Smith (unless it was a smokescreen), im starting to think we are looking for something more than the prototype Mularkey TE. i still dont want a TE on the 1st day, but i am more inclined towards late round prospects that can stretch the field (& catch) first and foremost, as well as have the potential to be good blockers. Mularkey's 'system' may be evolving.

This is a very deep TE class in my opinion.

Brandon Pettigrew - The most complete tight end in the draft. He is a great blocker and very reliable in the intermediate passing game. He reminds me alot of Daniel Graham.

Shawn Nelson - I like Nelson alot. He has excelent hands and playmaking ability. He needs improve his strength but he has sound technique and gives good effort as a blocker. He reminds me of Ben Watson

Jared Cook - Phenominal athlete with good hands but his blocking is a joke. He reminds me somewhat of less athletic version of Vernon Davis.

Cornelius Ingram - He's another guy that has good hands and athletisism but is a poor blocker. He has a long way to go as a blocker but he has some upside.

I have't seen anything on him in awhile, other than Tunis's comment, but I still like Bear Pascoe from Fresno State. Saw him make a darn nice one handed catch over the middle in the East West Shrine game, but his blocking ability was the most impressive thing. He'd be able to make some devastating blocks downfield for Turner, as he did in the East West game. Best of all, looks like he'll be available in the 5th-7th rounds.

I have't seen anything on him in awhile, other than Tunis's comment, but I still like Bear Pascoe from Fresno State. Saw him make a darn nice one handed catch over the middle in the East West Shrine game, but his blocking ability was the most impressive thing. He'd be able to make some devastating blocks downfield for Turner, as he did in the East West game. Best of all, looks like he'll be available in the 5th-7th rounds.

this is why i having a hard time letting go of davon drew - he is such a good drive blocker that it seems like it should be a priority in whoever we draft (knowing Mularkey's history), but now im not so sure anymore.