Former Falcon Kevin Shaffer cut by the Browns

jgator21

The Cleveland Browns cut starting right offensive tackle Kevin Shaffer today rather than pay him a pending $1.5 million roster bonus, according to Adam Caplan of Scout.com.

Per a source, Caplan reports that the Browns created $1.45 million in salary-cap room for 2009. Yet, the team will still be forced to hold $4.56 million in dead money due to the proration of the guaranteed money remaining over the final four years of his contract.

Agent Alan Herman, who represents Shaffer, said that the Browns are still interested in possibly re-signing Shaffer.

Ryan Tucker is expected to replace Shaffer in the starting lineup.

According to NFL.com, Shaffer started 15 games for the Browns last season. In seven NFL seasons, Shaffer has started 86 games.

I'm surprised he lasted that long, then again I was surprised he got that much money from the Browns to begin with.

Good at zone blocking, but he was a turnstile when it came to pass blocking.

actually he was not as bad as people remember.

Remember this same line this year was 3/5 the line when Vick was here and all 5 were here in 07.......

the QB play had A LOT to do with them being "turnstile"

He was pretty solid in Cleveland.

I'm surprised he lasted that long, then again I was surprised he got that much money from the Browns to begin with.

Good at zone blocking, but he was a turnstile when it came to pass blocking.

For real! However, I saw this playing and Cleveland let us know what they really thought when they drafted Joe Thomas after 1 season of Schaffer @ LT.

actually he was not as bad as people remember.

Remember this same line this year was 3/5 the line when Vick was here and all 5 were here in 07.......

the QB play had A LOT to do with them being "turnstile"

He was pretty solid in Cleveland.

Not really...I know Cleveland folks who were pretty upset about his play from week to week.

Besides, the line this year was McClure...then Weiner (who struggled at times, but was our best linemen when Vick was here) once Baker got hurt...and Clabo, Dahl, and Blalock...we had a lot of turnover on the line from the McKay era and it was necessary.

I really liked Shaffer. He sucked in pass pro, yes, but I always loved how he played in the run game, and this time he wouldn't be protecting the QB's blind side. I don't know if he'd fit the current system, but I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Falcons uni again.

Not really...I know Cleveland folks who were pretty upset about his play from week to week.

Besides, the line this year was McClure...then Weiner (who struggled at times, but was our best linemen when Vick was here) once Baker got hurt...and Clabo, Dahl, and Blalock...we had a lot of turnover on the line from the McKay era and it was necessary.

no offense but judging a players play by fan reaction is stupid.

Mckay drafted signed or resigned all 5 starters who started most of the season last year.

Clabo has been here since 04/05 Blalock/HDahl has been here since 07.

both Weiner and McClure were resigned under Mckays watch..............

so 4 of our starting 5 are McKay hold overs.............. not exactly a lot of turnover.

no offense but judging a players play by fan reaction is stupid.

Mckay drafted signed or resigned all 5 starters who started most of the season last year.

Clabo has been here since 04/05 Blalock/HDahl has been here since 07.

both Weiner and McClure were resigned under Mckays watch..............

so 4 of our starting 5 are McKay hold overs.............. not exactly a lot of turnover.

These are people who actually know the game. Of course, I know them, not you...so it's not like me saying I trust their football knowledge means anything to a stranger.

I thought we were speaking about the line that blocked for Vick..which would go back to '06. Blalock and Dahl weren't starting on that line...Clabo started when Weiner was injured...and we had McClure. He's pretty much the only starter that remained going into this year...although Weiner got in there later. That actually is a lot of turnover.

Schaffer was pretty bad when he was here...Cleveland realized that soon after. No point in bringing him back when he was just OK in a scheme we don't utilize anymore.