Falcons lining up replacements for Boley, Brooking

atljbo

Falcons lining up replacements for Boley, Brooking

The Falcons haven’t been major players in free agency, but they may already have the replacements for last year’s starting outside linebackers, Keith Brooking and Michael Boley, free agents who left to sign with the Cowboys and Giants, respectively. Mike Peterson, who signed with Atlanta March 10, and third-year veteran Stephen Nicholas could compete for the weak-side spot vacated by Brooking, or they could each fill separate voids. In the latter scenario, Peterson, who played middle linebacker over the past few seasons with the Jaguars, would likely move to the weak side. Nicholas, who was penciled in as a weak-side ’backer when he was drafted, before the new coaching staff experimented with him on the strong side last season, could become the club’s starter on the strong side if Coy Wire doesn’t earn that job first. The Falcons haven’t replaced Boley and Brooking with the big-name playmakers fans may have been hoping for, but they did become more versatile at linebacker with the addition of Peterson, who knows Mike Smith’s scheme well, having played for Smith when he was the D-coordinator in Jacksonville. Peterson could step in at any of the three LB positions if needed.

Wes Durham was on the radio talking about the Falcons and he said watch out for Nicholas.. He said the coaching staff is in love with him and he's going to get a shot at the starting position. He think our LB's will be Peterson, Lofton and Nicholas.

I think so too...I really like Nicholas and Lofton as our future linebackers.... I believe that we will take a LB in the mid round (3rd, 4th, or 5th round)....

Say what you will about Brooking...he loved being a Falcon. During an interview, after his departure, he mentioned Nicholas and Lofton as being seriously good LB's. There is no reason in the world to doubt his evaluation. With the Peterson signing, we don't HAVE to draft a LB. We will draft one, but we will not use a first day pick on one.

Wes Durham was on the radio talking about the Falcons and he said watch out for Nicholas.. He said the coaching staff is in love with him and he's going to get a shot at the starting position. He think our LB's will be Peterson, Lofton and Nicholas.

If I were a betting man I would say that would be a good bet...............

as of now at least.

If we draft a guy like Cushing or Matthews that changes the dynamic alot.

Say what you will about Brooking...he loved being a Falcon. During an interview, after his departure, he mentioned Nicholas and Lofton as being seriously good LB's. There is no reason in the world to doubt his evaluation. With the Peterson signing, we don't HAVE to draft a LB. We will draft one, but we will not use a first day pick on one.

I love Brooking, but still, there is one reason to doubt what he said. He is such a positive guy that he might say that whether it was true or not. Jeff Schulz put it best ... he wrote something like this: If Brooking were on the Titanic, he'd say, "I'm excited to have this opportunity to swim".

Could see us going with Nicholas-Lofton-Peterson as our starting LB this season, and I think they will do good. and then in the draft we will go with a LB in the 4th maybe 5th and groom like we did with Nicholas. Maybe a guy like Jason Williams which I had rumours of us scouting? Or possibly DeAndre Levy

I love Brooking, but still, there is one reason to doubt what he said. He is such a positive guy that he might say that whether it was true or not. Jeff Schulz put it best ... he wrote something like this: If Brooking were on the Titanic, he'd say, "I'm excited to have this opportunity to swim".

i disagree........ the man was just saying what he really thinks

i want to see nicholas on the field... has decent speed and can lay a hit. always going full speed on special teams... but mostly hes big and will bust a head... peterson lofton nicholas gets my vote.

Nicholas has better then decent speed.... dude have great speed

:lol::lol: