Andre Smith had an ok pro day actually

While Andre Smith may not have put forth sensational workout drill numbers, word out of Tuscaloosa is that he looked far better in his positional drills. The workout drills may not be totally indicative of Smith’s ability.

Weight issues and workout times are not always the best barometer of a prospect’s skill level. I’m reminded of former Pro Bowl lineman Nate Newton.

I signed Newton when I was with the Cowboys, the afternoon after the USFL went under and he weighed 295 pounds at the time (heavy for that day and age). Some of our coaches wondered how he would be able to perform at his size, but he wound up being one of the best players in the league at his position.

He weighed in at 325, which wasn’t bad, because there had been reports in the past of him being north of 370 pounds. He bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times, which was OK since he has extremely long arms at almost 36 inches.

Smith’s 40 time was pedestrian, but I don’t think teams are really worried about a 40 time for a lineman. He didn’t run poorly. I was standing next to some scouts who liked the way that he ran. He showed some fluidity.

“I was pleasantly surprised,” said one pro personnel director. “He did a little bit more than I expected. I came in fearing the worst. I came in fearing that he hadn’t done a whole lot. You can tell he has a long way to go, but you can tell he’s done a few things.”

I'm genuinely getting tired of the idiocy I'm finding on this board. Do your own research and form your own opinions - don't just sound off and criticize someone because its the fun thing to do. I will be back to bring up this post when Smith is has become a starting NFL lineman because he was dominant in the SEC - a conference that most people on this board get on your knees for

this article pretty much sums it up:

OTHER OPINIONS EMERGE ABOUT ANDRE SMITH WORKOUT

Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2009, 8:32 a.m.

On Wednesday, while Aaron Wilson was minding the PFT store (among other things, he refused to sell a calzone to a hipster doofis who wanted to pay for it in pennies), we posted a couple of stories regarding the horrendous workout of Alabama tackle Andre Smith.

Smith also had a nightmarish Scouting Combine, with reportedly horrible interviews followed by an unexpected no-show for his Saturday workout.

But some contrary voices are emerging regarding Smith’s supposedly poor Pro Day showing — which included a 40-yard dash in the 5.2-second range.

And, as is usually the case this time of year, it’s virtually impossible to separate the bull’s-eye from the bullsh-t.

Said one veteran scout, “I just looked up the Combine 40 [times] for [tackles] and Smith ran equal to or faster than most. Yup, he had a poor workout. An out-of-shape fat guy ran better than most of the guy who were supposed to be in shape.”

It could be that Smith’s biggest mistake on Wednesday was to shed the modesity and run without a shirt. (CBS42 has the video. And, yes, there is considerable jiggling.)

andresmith.JPG

(The image reminds us of this Taco Bill gem from yesteryear.)

“They say he was fat and the flab was all over the place,” the source said. “What the f–k did they expect? A body builder’s physique? Smith is a fat guy. He has always been a fat guy. That’s his genetics. It’s never going to change.

“When he was dominating the SEC last fall he was a 340-pound fat guy, and everybody said he was a top three [draft pick] and maybe the top guy. He is too good a player who got some poor advice and it has hurt him a little. But it hasn’t hurt him a lot.

“Here’s the fact — the a-holes making the comments are scouts who are not decision-makers, or they are people who want the kid to fall to them. Mark it down — he still goes high.”

Said another source, “While the [smith] workout wasn’t one for the ages, it also wasn’t that bad, either. I would say if a team liked him yesterday they still like him today.”

And that’s where this pre-draft process gets incredibly screwed up. The teams that like a player will say bad things about him privately, in the hopes that he’s still on the board when they pick. The teams that don’t like the player will talk him up, so that someone in front of that team will take him, pushing farther down the board one or more of the players that the team truly covets.

So, basically, it’s hard to know what to believe, and the job of the media in all of this is to at least try to discern the potential biases and prejudices of the folks who are saying the good or bad things.

That said, the scout from whom we heard works for a team that, based on their current roster, probably would draft Smith in round one, if he’s still on the board. So it looks like we can believe him.

Unless his team actually has its eye on another tackle. and thus is hoping that some other sucker drafts Smith.

This guy is going to get picked top ten regardless. He may have only put up 19 reps on the bench, but he ran I think maybe a 5.2 and thats pretty decent for a 300 plus tackle. Also his biggest upside is his 35 in arms. You gotta take all this stuff with a grain of salt. This kid can def play and IMO, he will be gone before the #11 pick in the draft.

I'm genuinely getting tired of the idiocy I'm finding on this board. Do your own research and form your own opinions - don't just sound off and criticize someone because its the fun thing to do. I will be back to bring up this post when Smith is has become a starting NFL lineman because he was dominant in the SEC - a conference that most people on this board get on your knees for

LOL... wow, why don't you take Andre Smith's "moobies" out of your mouth for a second. Having an "ok" pro day is for guys taken 3 round and beyond, not for a guy, who going into the combine and pro day was a potential top 5 pick. And just because you find someone else's write up that said he did "ok" doesn't negate the fact that Andre Smith is a complete idiot even if he gets picked top 10.

I watched espn and NFLN this morning and watched his workout and heard the good and bad about what everyone had to say about this guy. IMO he is fat and lazy. I for one don't want an idiot like this on the Falcons.

LOL... wow, why don't you take Andre Smith's "moobies" out of your mouth for a second. Having an "ok" pro day is for guys taken 3 round and beyond, not for a guy, who going into the combine and pro day was a potential top 5 pick. And just because you find someone else's write up that said he did "ok" doesn't negate the fact that Andre Smith is a complete idiot even if he gets picked top 10.

I watched espn and NFLN this morning and watched his workout and heard the good and bad about what everyone had to say about this guy. IMO he is fat and lazy. I for one don't want an idiot like this on the Falcons.

Well I think that the he seems like a Nice Kid. I think that he got the wrong help. I think that he didnt really work out a lot in Alabama, and probably wasn't ready for the combine and was and is still getting ready. I think that the TEams interested will continue to evaluate him until draft day, if he continues to work out he will be gone before the top ten. I am hearing that he still has good feet for a guy his size and his game tape is still good (which is what matters the most)

Well I think that the he seems like a Nice Kid. I think that he got the wrong help. I think that he didnt really work out a lot in Alabama, and probably wasn't ready for the combine and was and is still getting ready. I think that the TEams interested will continue to evaluate him until draft day, if he continues to work out he will be gone before the top ten. I am hearing that he still has good feet for a guy his size and his game tape is still good (which is what matters the most)

Yeah he comes across as a likeable oaf. His mother should have had him wearing a helmet much earlier in life.