Why are pundits saying we have little cap space? My math must be wrong

Mr Pickle1

Something is very confusing to me. One of the reasons many pundits say we aren't going after the big free agents is a lack of cap space...I know we started off approximately 20 mill under the cap...then Weiner retired. That took us to approximately 24 mill under, then Brooking left, which should have taken us to 32.

32 Mill under the cap! But what about Michael Vick? The way I understand it, if we cut him, we have to count 15 mill in bonuses as a cap penalty...that sounds real bad, but we also get to subtract his salary for this year, which I think is in the neighborhood of 7-9 million...Lets say 8, so we lose 7 mill... And THEN, the NFL added 4 mill to the cap.

I have us at approximately 29 mill under the cap. Say 6 million to sign the rookies,(and that's being generous). 23 mill under, after rookies and cutting vick. We've spent about 4 mill. What are we saving the extra 19 mill for, cause it sure doesn't carry over into next year??????? That's...just enough for Haynesworth AND Bart Scott...so what the heck are we doing?

Something is very confusing to me. One of the reasons many pundits say we aren't going after the big free agents is a lack of cap space...I know we started off approximately 20 mill under the cap...then Weiner retired. That took us to approximately 24 mill under, then Brooking left, which should have taken us to 32.

32 Mill under the cap! But what about Michael Vick? The way I understand it, if we cut him, we have to count 15 mill in bonuses as a cap penalty...that sounds real bad, but we also get to subtract his salary for this year, which I think is in the neighborhood of 7-9 million...Lets say 8, so we lose 7 mill... And THEN, the NFL added 4 mill to the cap.

I have us at approximately 29 mill under the cap. Say 6 million to sign the rookies,(and that's being generous). 23 mill under, after rookies and cutting vick. We've spent about 4 mill. What are we saving the extra 19 mill for, cause it sure doesn't carry over into next year??????? That's...just enough for Haynesworth AND Bart Scott...so what the heck are we doing?

it does sound like alot but your math is a little off because i think brooking was a free agent and you are about right about the vick thing but we also have to extend players like clabo and dahl and also look to next year when roddy and norwood be free agents and also micheal koenen so yeah we still have room for signings but not as much as you think

it does sound like alot but your math is a little off because i think brooking was a free agent and you are about right about the vick thing but we also have to extend players like clabo and dahl and also look to next year when roddy and norwood be free agents and also micheal koenen so yeah we still have room for signings but not as much as you think

Brooking technically was not a FA, the last year of his contract was voided, therefore making him a FA and giving us more cap room

You lost me at haynesworth.

Well, as per the other thread, I see that my math was indeed wrong, but what did you mean, I lost you at Haynesworth? That guy who was the best defensive player in the NFL the last two years, who just signed for roughly 14 mill a year? Him?

Well, as per the other thread, I see that my math was indeed wrong, but what did you mean, I lost you at Haynesworth? That guy who was the best defensive player in the NFL the last two years, who just signed for roughly 14 mill a year? Him?

Yep. He has a ridiculous contract for a defensive player that will get hurt and more often the older he gets. I don't want to have that much money riding the bench.

Way off. Brooking was a UFA. He had no '09 salary to count against the cap. 24 mil is the hard #. Don't need to add or subtract anything from it except Peterson and Rombergs new '09 cap figure, which puts us at about $20mil under. We have to sign Rookies, undrafted FA's, and possibly one or two more FA's. We'll be slightly under the cap. Maybe enough to get rid of Vick if we have to. $15 mil to release him minus 9 mil '09 salary he will not be paid = $6 Mil aditional cap hit to let him go.

RETRACTION: VICK'S CONTRACT INFO IS NOT CORRECT***********

SORRY

JR

Signing a player this year also affects future years which are unknown. Most of the guys out there were OK, not great, and certainly not worth being the highest paid player in the league. It's because they were the best available and not necessarily the best.

They have to make decisions not only based on this point in time but also in the future. If the Falcons kept the same players for the next 4 years let's say for simplification then there would be the issue of rookie contracts running out and they most certainly would demand a lot more per year.

Based on Weiner's contract and the fact that nowhere does it say he gave up his bonus money or that the Falcons went after it - we actually lost money on the cap. Although we gained 3.? million on his salary - his bonus accelerated immediately upon his retirement.

So, that would have taken us down to about 18 mil.

Then, Brooking only freed up a little because he had bonus money accelerating as well. We will save money over time with him, but not this cap.

As for Vick - I have seen some reports which show 15 mil owed on his bonus which was going to go 7.5 and 7.5 this year and next, but because the cba was rejected - it is supposed to all his this year.

At the very least - 7.5 mil hits.

So that takes us down way below that 20 mil we started with.

Based on Weiner's contract and the fact that nowhere does it say he gave up his bonus money or that the Falcons went after it - we actually lost money on the cap. Although we gained 3.? million on his salary - his bonus accelerated immediately upon his retirement.

So, that would have taken us down to about 18 mil.

Then, Brooking only freed up a little because he had bonus money accelerating as well. We will save money over time with him, but not this cap.

As for Vick - I have seen some reports which show 15 mil owed on his bonus which was going to go 7.5 and 7.5 this year and next, but because the cba was rejected - it is supposed to all his this year.

At the very least - 7.5 mil hits.

So that takes us down way below that 20 mil we started with.

man i am really starting to hate vick because it is hard to run a team when you basically have to pay two franchise quarterbacks

man i am really starting to hate vick because it is hard to run a team when you basically have to pay two franchise quarterbacks

Isn't it great? Not only do we have a horrible 2007 season because we lost our starting qb in July but because he managed to pick the right 2 years to be in prison when he gets out and released we take a double hit of his bonus cap. He is like anti-luck for our team.

Isn't it great? Not only do we have a horrible 2007 season because we lost our starting qb in July but because he managed to pick the right 2 years to be in prison when he gets out and released we take a double hit of his bonus cap. He is like anti-luck for our team.

you are right on it man