G-Dawg's Mock Draft 2.0

g-dawg

1. Detroit Lions, QB-Georgia - at the end of the day, I am not really sold "for" or "against" Matthew Stafford. He is something of an enigma to me because I see the talent but not sure about his intangibles. While a little on the short side at 6'2", his height is adequate and his arm is well documented to be "rocket arm". However, what was Stafford's "signature win" in his three years at Georgia? He had many good games but I cannot really think of too many games where Stafford took over and led the team to wins. If I am the Detroit Lions I would take Matthew Stafford because of his potential but I would not start him the first year - he's not ready yet. Sure, the Lions could take a really good offensive tackle like Jason Smith or a really good linebacker like Aaron Curry - but when you have the #1 overall pick and you don't have a franchise QB - you have to take that chance. Stafford has the skills.

2. St. Louis Rams, Jason Smith, LT-Baylor - just makes sense

3. Kansas City Chiefs, Aaron Curry, ILB-Wake Forest - arguably the best player in the draft

4. Seattle Seahawks, Eugene Monroe, LT-Virginia - sorry Seahawks fans, Tim Ruskell is not drafting a 6'1" WR coming off foot surgery and no 40 times. Besides, Seahags just spent a boatload on T.J. Houseyomamma.

5. Cleveland Browns, Michael Crabtree, WR-Texas Tech - this is not their biggest need but Crabtree is the value on the board and with Winslow gone and Braylon Edwards slumping - Brady Quinn could use another weapon

6. Cincinnati Bengals, Andre Smith, OT-Alabama - given his poor judgement and character concerns, Andre Smith is the "perfect" selection for the Bengals.

7. Oakland Raiders, Jeremy Maclin, WR-Missouri - Simply put, Maclin is the best WR not named Michael Crabtree but Maclin is faster and is not injured. Time for weapons for the disappointing JaMarcus Russell.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars, Michael Oher, LT-Mississippi - While some may consider this a reach the Jaguars #1, #2, and #3 needs are all on the offensive line - in other words, there is no other position to draft. Oher may have the 2nd best overall skill set at left tackle(to Jason Smith). While Oher had a rough upbringing and there are some concerns about intelligence - overall, we think Oher will develop nicely and solidify the Jags O-Line.

9. Green Bay Packers, B.J. Raji, NT-Boston College - Raji dominated the Senior Bowl and is the perfect NT to man the new 3-4 defense. Everyone in the NFL know you cannot run the 3-4 without a classic NT and Raji is made to order.

10. San Francisco Forty-Niners, Mark Sanchez, QB-USC - I think this is the best selection for the Niners. They have garbage at the QB position now (Shaun Hill, Alex Smith) and while it may take a year for Sanchez to be ready - this team needs a threat at QB.

11. Buffalo Bills, Brian Orakpo, DE-Texas - this guy just has the best combination of size, speed and production coming off the edge. He should make an impact early on the defense.

12. Denver Broncos, Rey Maualuga, ILB-USC - this is one of the safest picks in the first round as this guy is just solid in all facets. His physical play was made for the NFL.

13. Washington Redskins, Aaron Maybin, DE-Penn State - Jason Taylor is gone and Redskins want to get after the QB - with Maybin and Haynesworth that should be "do-able".

14. New Orleans Saints, Malcolm Jenkins, CB/S-Ohio State - Is Jenks a corner or a safety? not sure but he is the top-rated at either and Saints need help at both - easy pick.

15. Houston Texans, Brian Cushing, OLB-USC - With the addition of Antonio Smith in free agency, defensive end is no longer a need. There are enough weapons on the offense and the two positions of upgrade needed are safety and outside linebacker - Cushing is the "value on the board" at this point. sold.

16. San Diego Chargers, Tyson Jackson, DE-LSU - With Olshansky gone, there is a huge hole at defensive end for the Bolts. Jackson is the "perfect" 3-4 D-End and an upgrade over Olshansky. With LT back and Sproles re-signed they will wait at least one more year to look for LT's replacement.

17. NY Jets, Hakeem Nicks, WR-North Carolina - There are more explosive choices on still on the board (Harvin, Heyward-Bay) but both carry risks. Nicks seems like a guy that will produce and be a solid #2 with the chance to develop into a #1.

18. Chicago Bears, Darrius Heyward-Bay, WR-Maryland - This guy has all the tools - size, speed, everything - but can he be a consistent producer.....if we knew the answer to that, he would be a "top 10 pick".

19. Tampa Bay Buccanneers, Josh Freeman, QB-Kansas State - The Bucs would still love to trade this pick and others to get Jay Cutler but I think the Broncos have come to their senses and will keep Cutler. Quick, name who the Bucs starting QB is right now for 2009? Yeah, I thought so.......'nuff said.

20. Detroit Lions, Vontae Davis, CB-Illinois - Lions have no corners and desperately need some - Davis is the prototype.

21. Philadelphia Eagles, Chris Wells, RB-Ohio State - this is a suprise pick but the tandem of Westbrook/Wells should work well and dividing the workload could keep both healthy.

22. Minnesota Vikings, Eben Britton, RT-Arizona - weakest spot on the Vikings team is right tackle. Vikes snatch this guy up - its not a sexy pick but it works.

23. New England Patriots, Clint Sintim, OLB-Virginia - this guy played OLB in a 3-4 system in college so he will be a "plug & play" type of guy. Sintim was highly productive in college and his college coach was Al Groh who is part of the Belicheck/Parcells coaching tree. Suprise pick but makes sense.

24. Atlanta Falcons, Clay Matthews, OLB-USC - ok, my only problem with this pick is that Matthews does not fit exactly in the old "system specific" since he played mostly D-End in college in a 4-3 so its a little bit of a projection there and I know Thomas Dimitroff is fond of terms like "needs based, system specific". Same thing with James Lauranaitis -since he played JL played MLB - again, a "projection" to move him to the outside. Same thing with Larry English who is a "smallish D-End" who may have to play 3-4 OLB in the NFL. It seems like all the linebackers left don't fit neatly in a 4-3 OLB box for the Falcons - given that, Dimitroff could just say, "to heck with it" and take the safety he likes - Louis Delmas - or go to the other side of the ball and take Brandon Pettigrew. I still think he sticks on OLB though and takes Clay Matthews - who plays with "controlled reckless abandon" which is a quote from Thomas Dimitroff on what he is looking for from defensive players - he wants playmakers and I believe Clay Matthews will "dial that up" in the NFL - just like his daddy did :)

25. Miami Dolphins, James Lauranaitis, ILB-Ohio State - tough linebacker who will project well on the inside in a 3-4 system.

26. Baltimore Ravens, Brandon Pettigrew, TE-Oklahoma State – Todd Heap is always hurt and Pettigrew will be a nice safety valve for Joe Flacco.

27. Indianapolis Colts, Peria Jerry, DT-Ole Miss – this is gaping hole right now in the Indy defense. Mr. Need please introduce yourself to Mr. Opportunity.

28. Philadelphia Eagles, Percy Harvin, WR-Florida – Another small speed ball for Donovan McNabb

29. New York Giants, Kenny Britt, WR-Rutgers – big strong guy to replace Plax

30. Tennessee Titans, D.J. Moore, CB-Vanderbilt – hometown guy to come in and help Finnegan

31. Arizona Cardinals, Knowshon Moreno, RB-Georgia – engergizer bunny at RB, wind him up and let him go – makes plays

32. Pittsburgh Steelers, Alphonso Smith, CB-Wake Forest – small but very good cover corner.

Fire away!!!!! I realize the Cleveland Browns pick is a little "unconventional". Also, I know many will think I have Michael Oher going too high.

Pretty good mock. Some interesting picks.............. I do think now Matthews is going to be gone before we pick at 24.

who do you think takes him? I think Detroit(#20) and then New England(#23) right in front of Falcons pick are most likely to take Matthews away from us....

who do you think takes him? I think Detroit(#20) and then New England(#23) right in front of Falcons pick are most likely to take Matthews away from us....

drews Posted Today, 02:03 PM

Its hard to say..... I really hate picking behind the patriots. Maybe Houston or San Diego even though they signed burnett.

I think we go DT or CB in with our first pick..Line backer is not a gaping hole for us now, but our secondary could use some help. I would really like to see us take Sean Smith from utah. Then in the 2nd Willam Moore, or Loius Delmas. With that combo on the field I think we can really do some damage and increase our coverage sacks.

I think we go DT or CB in with our first pick..Line backer is not a gaping hole for us now, but our secondary could use some help. I would really like to see us take Sean Smith from utah. Then in the 2nd Willam Moore, or Loius Delmas. With that combo on the field I think we can really do some damage and increase our coverage sacks.

I don't think we go "corner" and then "safety" or vice-versa considering we gave up 2,040 rushing yards and 15 rushing TDs last year. Somewhere in first two picks I think we need a D-Tackle.

I don't think we go "corner" and then "safety" or vice-versa considering we gave up 2,040 rushing yards and 15 rushing TDs last year. Somewhere in first two picks I think we need a D-Tackle.

I agree with you, but we did in a way upgrade our linebackers "slightly" which can help in the run stopping catagory. If our LB starters are Peterson Lofton and Wire or Nicholas, I think there is a lot of speed there. Also Trey lewis I think can be a big playmaker in the middle next year. I know its a little out there going CB then S, but I think that is where we need the most help. Dont forget a good safety can aid in the run stopping game also, but good argument I do think we need a DT, but not that early

I agree with you, but we did in a way upgrade our linebackers "slightly" which can help in the run stopping catagory. If our LB starters are Peterson Lofton and Wire or Nicholas, I think there is a lot of speed there. Also Trey lewis I think can be a big playmaker in the middle next year. I know its a little out there going CB then S, but I think that is where we need the most help. Dont forget a good safety can aid in the run stopping game also, but good argument I do think we need a DT, but not that early

well, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you there........As much as I like Trey Lewis' potential - I think Dimitroff and Smith will not be banking on Trey Lewis - he only played half a rookie season before getting serious injury and has not played many NFL snaps and has not played a down in well over a year - we don't want to count on him to be the guy to turn this around. While I agree with you that right now I think we already have better 'backers than we did last year - the interior defensive line is where the runstopping begins. Its up to those guys to tie up the blockers and take the double teams so the LBs can make the plays.

I could easily see Falcons taking Peria Jerry in the first round or Ron Brace in the 2nd round. Its not sexy but it works......Look at Patriots history - Vince Wilfork(1st round), Richard Seymour(1st round), Texas A&M guy-can't think of his name(1st round)........Dimitroff's old Patriots have a reputation for taking defensive linemen early.

at corner we have Chris Houston, Chevis Jackson, Von Hutchins and Brent Grimes - while we certainly could stand an upgrade we are not devoid of talent at cornerback.

Even if Trey Lewis does come back successfully, Mike Smith believes in rotating defensive tackles........

well, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you there........As much as I like Trey Lewis' potential - I think Dimitroff and Smith will not be banking on Trey Lewis - he only played half a rookie season before getting serious injury and has not played many NFL snaps and has not played a down in well over a year - we don't want to count on him to be the guy to turn this around. While I agree with you that right now I think we already have better 'backers than we did last year - the interior defensive line is where the runstopping begins. Its up to those guys to tie up the blockers and take the double teams so the LBs can make the plays.

I could easily see Falcons taking Peria Jerry in the first round or Ron Brace in the 2nd round. Its not sexy but it works......Look at Patriots history - Vince Wilfork(1st round), Richard Seymour(1st round), Texas A&M guy-can't think of his name(1st round)........Dimitroff's old Patriots have a reputation for taking defensive linemen early.

at corner we have Chris Houston, Chevis Jackson, Von Hutchins and Brent Grimes - while we certainly could stand an upgrade we are not devoid of talent at cornerback.

Even if Trey Lewis does come back successfully, Mike Smith believes in rotating defensive tackles........

Very true. You make good points. Its not that I dont want our D line to improve I would be happy if we just draft some defensive players early. I just really like Sean Smith and think he can be a great player for years to come and make an impact right away. I know kind of biased opion there, but I think he can be the next DHall for us(when he wasnt a baby). I do agree with you and see your point

For us, I like the Matthews pick - however, I think that if you have the Patriots picking Sintim, then they are picking the inferior prospect to Matthews.

Andre Smith at #6 is a disaster. If I'm an NFL GM, I may be taking him off my draft board.

It's tough to argue with anything you are presenting here, but we seem to be getting to a point where alot of the 1 round mocks are looking alike. As we all know, things rarely look like what we think they'll look like 6-7 weeks prior to the draft. I'm working on a two rounder myself and trying to be a bit 'out of the box'

Pretty good mock and I'm ok with our pick too. Just one problem, one major problem. And I didn't expect this from you either. How in the world do you have Beenie Wells going before Knowshon? I doubt that happens. And even if it does, I'm not convinced that he still last all the way to 31. Like I said, I would have expected better of you of all people. LOL. Good overall mock.

24. Atlanta Falcons, Clay Matthews, OLB-USC - ok, my only problem with this pick is that Matthews does not fit exactly in the old "system specific" since he played mostly D-End in college in a 4-3 so its a little bit of a projection there and I know Thomas Dimitroff is fond of terms like "needs based, system specific". Same thing with James Lauranaitis -since he played JL played MLB - again, a "projection" to move him to the outside. Same thing with Larry English who is a "smallish D-End" who may have to play 3-4 OLB in the NFL. It seems like all the linebackers left don't fit neatly in a 4-3 OLB box for the Falcons - given that, Dimitroff could just say, "to heck with it" and take the safety he likes - Louis Delmas - or go to the other side of the ball and take Brandon Pettigrew. I still think he sticks on OLB though and takes Clay Matthews - who plays with "controlled reckless abandon" which is a quote from Thomas Dimitroff on what he is looking for from defensive players - he wants playmakers and I believe Clay Matthews will "dial that up" in the NFL - just like his daddy did

We all have our favorite prospects. It is only natural. I like Matthews as well. But,I get the feeling that you know that Matthews will not be our pick. Dimitroff has said it over and over: System-specific, Need-based. Matthews is an old school kind of player that will succeed in the NFL. The only problem is that he is not a great fit for our defensive needs. He would get a look in the second round, but he will get drafted before the 56th pick. I also don't think that Dimitroff will draft his Safety until the second day. The idea will be to find some one to back up Coleman and DeCoud.

I think that either Pettigrew or a DT will be the pick, when all is said and done.

24. Atlanta Falcons, Clay Matthews, OLB-USC - ok, my only problem with this pick is that Matthews does not fit exactly in the old "system specific" since he played mostly D-End in college in a 4-3 so its a little bit of a projection there and I know Thomas Dimitroff is fond of terms like "needs based, system specific". Same thing with James Lauranaitis -since he played JL played MLB - again, a "projection" to move him to the outside. Same thing with Larry English who is a "smallish D-End" who may have to play 3-4 OLB in the NFL. It seems like all the linebackers left don't fit neatly in a 4-3 OLB box for the Falcons - given that, Dimitroff could just say, "to heck with it" and take the safety he likes - Louis Delmas - or go to the other side of the ball and take Brandon Pettigrew. I still think he sticks on OLB though and takes Clay Matthews - who plays with "controlled reckless abandon" which is a quote from Thomas Dimitroff on what he is looking for from defensive players - he wants playmakers and I believe Clay Matthews will "dial that up" in the NFL - just like his daddy did

We all have our favorite prospects. It is only natural. I like Matthews as well. But,I get the feeling that you know that Matthews will not be our pick. Dimitroff has said it over and over: System-specific, Need-based. Matthews is an old school kind of player that will succeed in the NFL. The only problem is that he is not a great fit for our defensive needs. He would get a look in the second round, but he will get drafted before the 56th pick. I also don't think that Dimitroff will draft his Safety until the second day. The idea will be to find some one to back up Coleman and DeCoud.

I think that either Pettigrew or a DT will be the pick, when all is said and done.

Hate to burst your bubble but a DT or a TE will not be our choice in the first round...its going to be a LB/DE/S.

there's a kid coming from ucf this year named joe burnett, he will drop far for how good he is .

he is the all time leader at ucf in interceptions, and is the only person in school to return a punt and

a kick off in his career. Mayock said he will go 4th or 5th i think, and this kid's 40 time don't show his real

speed you know what i mean. he is a threat in the return game and could give douglas a break and take finneran

out of the eqation all together, and he could give the db positions some depth.

so tell me what you think of this kid if you have heard of him

there's a kid coming from ucf this year named joe burnett, he will drop far for how good he is .

he is the all time leader at ucf in interceptions, and is the only person in school to return a punt and

a kick off in his career. Mayock said he will go 4th or 5th i think, and this kid's 40 time don't show his real

speed you know what i mean. he is a threat in the return game and could give douglas a break and take finneran

out of the eqation all together, and he could give the db positions some depth.

so tell me what you think of this kid if you have heard of him

yes, I love Burnett....I had him in one of my mocks...He provides so much versatality along with good size and GREAT ball skills...

Clint Sintim should be our 1st pick. He may not be a Lawrence Taylor or a Derrick Thomas, but he comes pretty close to those guys as a outside linebacker. This kid can handle big offensive linemans like no other at his position. The falcon never had a impact player who could dominate a game like a Lawrence Taylor or a Derrick Thomas before. We have an opportunity to draft one and his name is Clint Sintim.

LawrenceTaylor stats:

(as a junior) 12 games 80 solo tackles and 5 sacks

(as a senior) 12 games 55 solo tackles and 16 sacks

Clint Sintim stats:

(as a junior) 13 games 77 solo tackles and 9 sacks

(as a senior) 12 games 70 solo tackles and 11 sacks

Pretty good mock and I'm ok with our pick too. Just one problem, one major problem. And I didn't expect this from you either. How in the world do you have Beenie Wells going before Knowshon? I doubt that happens. And even if it does, I'm not convinced that he still last all the way to 31. Like I said, I would have expected better of you of all people. LOL. Good overall mock.

LOL... I was going to say the EXACT same thing. Also, as much as I want us to draft Matthews I think we will take Jerry if he is still there. I haven't seen anything stating we have even taken a good look at Matthews but if anyone has I'd like to see it.