Find me the biggest strongest DT's in college.

I think by now, everybody knows I'm in favor of tall, powerful and nasty DTs like Henderson,Stroud and Haynesworth.

Who are the biggest strongest guys like that in college right now? I'm not talking necessarily about guys that are coming out this year, though you can list those too, but who are the freshmen, sophomores or juniors that fit that physical profile?

I'm not saying we pick them up based on their physical ability alone, but I want to know so I can investigate them a bit.

Anybody got any candidates?

Ha! Looking for your new Igor?

Seriously, the player that has jumped out to me in the little time I have looked around (I usually only focus on players coming out, so I don't pay much attention to underclassmen) - Kade Weston from UGA.

Now, don't go mistaking me for one of those UGA/SEC homers. I hate those types of fans. I am just a fan of college athletes that will go pro. Simply put, I'm a pro fan - not a college fan. And since I usually only watch college games to scout the pro prospects, it takes a little something for an athlete to catch my attention without me watching the game for him.

For instance, I was watching several games early this season to scout other players when I first started noticing BJ Raji. Now, he's a top 10 pick. But I was on here touting him up very early this past season when on most draft boards he was a second/third round prospect. I even had a few conversations with BCEaGleATLFaLcOn about him.

My point, in the few times I caught UGA games (usually to look at a player that was playing against UGA) Weston looked completely unblockable at times. However, he's not a regular starter (I have no idea why) and may have an issue with consistency. But when he's on, he looked great.

Kade Weston

http://uga.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=51972

Well its still early... and we havent got to draft yet...

but we no longer have a top 5 pic like last year. to get us a money play.

I also think we send a bad message to players when we dont sign any free agents... wanna get payed..stay away from atl.

I know TD had to clean up some cap issues.. but come on... why let grady go? that was dumb. Fan fav and liked by media and still played hard as well as good against the run. I see that as a mistake. Just like crump being let go.

But on the d side of the ball who do we rely on get pressure? Abe and ???? just abe really.

Now what if we cant stop the run then forget playing safe in a zone coverage 90% of the time.

Without being able to stop the run we gotta bring more poeple up which leaves our secondary ready to get toasted.

We need some experience on D. If our D is nothing but backups to last season then i have to wonder why they werent starting last season if they showed so much potential.

If our D is gonna be built by rookies in draft, then well prepare for rookie mistakes. We could become like the saints. Have to rely on O because the D cant stop anything.

I know it appears im being negative towards our D but im more just concerned. Not resigning starters and saving a buck and resigning backups.. just seems odd to me. Then I have to wonder if its TD scared to spend money on FA`s?

Yeah we hit gold in last draft but we still brought in a key FA in turner (who was a backup as well).

Maybe lightning can strike twice and we will find gold in the ruffs. But it doesnt happen much.

If there is a plan.. i hope we start getting hints soon. Give us a bone atleast 1 player who isnt a backup. But our secondary was suspect as it. Then we created more holes with milloy and brooking leaving. Then the line lost grady.

Why?

I think the argument for shorter NT's dude to leverage concerns is overrated.

I think that if a tall guy, like Stroud, Henderson, Haynesworth, Pat Williams, Kevin Williams etc. can get low, they can neutralize that Offensive advantage, and use their longer arms to help them disengage in the pass rush and to get the tackle for a loss.

I wish I had a list of the tallest DT's in the league, and see how many of the tallest and strongest DT's are close to the top of the list in the best DT rankings.

A couple of other players I got a chance to check out:

Al Woods from LSU (6'5" - 314)

Vince Oghobaase from Duke (6'6" - 310)

Of these two, Oghobaase looked pretty good. Although he's 310 lbs, he has very little body fat.

Is Vince strong ?

Because if so....

(premature swoon)

Is Vince strong ?

Because if so....

(premature swoon)

I'm not sure of his strength. I know he's not as strong as Igor (who is?), but he looked to be a much quicker player than Igor. He might actually be better suited as a 3-4 end. But with this said, he could be a very good DT at applying pressure. Here are a few things I found on him:

Oghobaase, a five-star recruit coming out of high school, has started the past 36 games for the Blue Devils. He has amassed 128 tackles, 29 tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks in his career. "I honestly feel there is a time and place for everything, and deep down in my heart, I know Duke is where I want to be next year," Oghobaase said. "I am highly confident with another year of development, I can earn first team all-conference, All-America and defensive player of the year honors." - Duke Chronicle

Oghobaase to return for 2009: Oghobaase has fulfilled requirements for his degree in sociology, and will continue his undergraduate studies to pursue a second degree as well as a certificate in markets and management. Earlier this month, he submitted his name to the NFL draft advisory board and received confidential information regarding his potential status for the upcoming 2009 draft. "I was dissatisfied with receiving honorable mention All-ACC last year," continued Oghobaase. "I am highly confident with another year of development I can earn first team all-conference, All-America and defensive player of the year honors. These are very attainable goals. I know I can develop further under strength Coach (Noel) Durfey and d-line Coach (Marion) Hobby. I feel another year with them will put me over the top and evolve me into one of the elite defensive tackles in the country. I accomplished my goal of graduating from Duke, and now I'll concentrate on the markets and management certificate. That will be just another thing in my pocket I can use after football." - The Devils Den

His strenght is still a question mark with me, but with his size, speed, and obvious determination (it's not easy to graduate from Duke, mind you) he might be worth watching this season. If he can add strength (and his size and low body fat suggests he has a good bit of muscle already) he could be a force.

I'm not sure of his strength. I know he's not as strong as Igor (who is?), but he looked to be a much quicker player than Igor. He might actually be better suited as a 3-4 end. But with this said, he could be a very good DT at applying pressure. Here are a few things I found on him:

Oghobaase, a five-star recruit coming out of high school, has started the past 36 games for the Blue Devils. He has amassed 128 tackles, 29 tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks in his career. "I honestly feel there is a time and place for everything, and deep down in my heart, I know Duke is where I want to be next year," Oghobaase said. "I am highly confident with another year of development, I can earn first team all-conference, All-America and defensive player of the year honors." - Duke Chronicle

Oghobaase to return for 2009: Oghobaase has fulfilled requirements for his degree in sociology, and will continue his undergraduate studies to pursue a second degree as well as a certificate in markets and management. Earlier this month, he submitted his name to the NFL draft advisory board and received confidential information regarding his potential status for the upcoming 2009 draft. "I was dissatisfied with receiving honorable mention All-ACC last year," continued Oghobaase. "I am highly confident with another year of development I can earn first team all-conference, All-America and defensive player of the year honors. These are very attainable goals. I know I can develop further under strength Coach (Noel) Durfey and d-line Coach (Marion) Hobby. I feel another year with them will put me over the top and evolve me into one of the elite defensive tackles in the country. I accomplished my goal of graduating from Duke, and now I'll concentrate on the markets and management certificate. That will be just another thing in my pocket I can use after football." - The Devils Den

His strenght is still a question mark with me, but with his size, speed, and obvious determination (it's not easy to graduate from Duke, mind you) he might be worth watching this season. If he can add strength (and his size and low body fat suggests he has a good bit of muscle already) he could be a force.

Thanks dude.

For some reason, you bringing up Igor is kinda making me mad at him lol.

Like dude WTF are you doing pretending to be a 3-4 RE. It's like being Superman and wearing a Kryptonite belt "to make things fair"

I think by now, everybody knows I'm in favor of tall, powerful and nasty DTs like Henderson,Stroud and Haynesworth.

Who are the biggest strongest guys like that in college right now? I'm not talking necessarily about guys that are coming out this year, though you can list those too, but who are the freshmen, sophomores or juniors that fit that physical profile?

I'm not saying we pick them up based on their physical ability alone, but I want to know so I can investigate them a bit.

Anybody got any candidates?

mount cody at alabama