Darren Sharper might be a Falcon ...

Re-signing tackle John St. Clair is the Bears' top priority. Finding a free safety would be next on the list.

Another option got taken off the board when Tampa Bay re-signed Jermaine Phillips. He was the one veteran safety best suited for the Bears' system.

Darren Sharper said he has an interest in the Bears, but don't expect him to land in Chicago. According to sources, the Bears' interest in Sharper is not mutual. Look for Sharper to end up in either New Orleans or Atlanta.

Falcons' general manager Thomas Dimitroff has said that he wants his team to get younger, but Sharper plays younger than his age implies and he could also provide much needed leadership and experience on what is quickly becoming a very young Atlanta defense.

Sharper is a free safety by trade, but he appears to have the versatility that Dimitroff is looking for in his safeties. He has excellent coverage skills as his 54 career interceptions can attest, but he is also strong in run support with good recognition skills and tackling technique.

His tackles did not decline in '08 (69), but his interception totals did. He finished the season with only one interception, but he did have five passes defensed.

If we get him he's going to compete for the job, but it doesn't necessarily mean he'll get it. Either way it's good for us because he and Colemen can anchor all the DB's as far as leadership. If he were to win the job, great; and if not he'd be nasty on ST and possibly in the dime.

If we signed him there would be far less posts about filling holes in FA and lack of leadership, and that would be great because we could just talk about the upcoming draft.

i dont know where you people are getting the coverage skills bit..

i watched all the vikes games last season(my dads a longtime vikes fan) and I saw sharper make plenty of mental errors...there was this one play that sticks out in my mind above the rest, 3rd and 20 ish when minnesota was playing Tampa, and sharper made too slow of a reaction and the backup tightend converted. that is just one of the many mental coverage mistakes i saw last year. hes a decent player, but his coverage is kind of a joke.

dont get me wrong tho he can make plays, but he gives up more than he takes.

I don't understand what all this 'DeCoud must start' hooplah is about. DeCoud was a late draft pick and has yet to show anything to anyone that would indicate he would be a better starting safety in the league then DARREN SHARPER.

Cmon guys. Sharper >>>> DeCoud right now no matter how you look at it.

I would love to bring him aboard.

I don't understand what all this 'DeCoud must start' hooplah is about. DeCoud was a late draft pick and has yet to show anything to anyone that would indicate he would be a better starting safety in the league then DARREN SHARPER.

Since when is a 3rd round draft pick a "late" one?

Exactly - not every starter in the league was a first round draft pick!

Third round picks are supposed to play ST for a year (or two) and then compete for a starting position.

I think that this is what will happen at both S and OLB this year. Both Nicholas and DeCoud will be given an opportunity to win a starting job. They won't be gifted it, but they'll definitely have an opportunity.

We'll probably draft them some competition for that starting job.

He was a third round pick. There is talent at that spot in the draft.

if we wanted veteran leadership we would have kept a veteran. we did'nt, so i expect us to play decoud tre lewis and nicholas. we may get an LB i even here safety. but either way we should play our draft picks and see how they develop this year.every position is solid but LB, SS,and DT needs depth.if we can manage to make one superstar out of this bunch of young guys we will have made a good decision on not sighning any big F/A this year.if just a couple of these guys step up we will be dominant but if we loose a guy to injury we could be in trouble. i think the 3 guys i mentioned will start and we will use F/A for depth or draft a back up. i dont see any big changes this year unless it is on offense. a big name receiver new TE or o-line guy. every where else we have guys ready to step up.