Has TD learned from the mistakes of Falcon past?

As the first week of free agency slowly slips into the sunset, many a Falcon fan has grown impatient. With big name free agents flying off the board and second tier free agents raking in the cash, fans are beginning to grow restless as they see the chances of improving the team slip away. Even the Detroit Lions have been actively acquiring talent.

But maybe TD took a look at the recent past of the Falcons and found a better way. I truly believe he has, and it begins with not listening to us.

Let's take a look shall we? I am speaking in general, because they are always people who disagree. And let's not paint it with hindsight. (And you know who you are when I get to Reeves.)

After reaching the playoffs, everyone screamed that we were one wide receiver away from glory. So we lost a first round draft pick and a boat load of cash to sign Peerless Price. This won the press conference, but set the team back.

After a horrible season, there was a ground swell to fire Dan Reeves. (Myself included.) Everyone wanted a younger coach who would have a different game plan for Mike Vick. In the end, he left the team worse off than he found it, and was the first step to the 2007 debacle.

After reaching the NFCCG, we were only a MLB away. We just had to have a run stopper! So we signed Hartwell. A lot of cash, and no production.

Then all we needed was a DE to help Kerney out. There went another chunk of change and first round pick. While Abe is one of the best at his position, he can only stay healthy when he is a situational player.

There are many more you could add to the list. But you get the point.

So maybe, TD is smarter than that? Maybe he is looking at building a team instead of filling holes? Maybe, just maybe, he knows that three 4 million dollar players will help the team more than one 12 million dollar player? Who knows?

I have seen some players get snatched up that I wish we could have gotten. But then again, I was also thrilled when we got Price. GM is a hard and thankless job. Fans always want to make the decision for you, and then claim they thought it was bad idea from the beginning when it goes down hill. So, I am just happy to sit back and let TD do his job. I know he will do it better without me.

As the first week of free agency slowly slips into the sunset, many a Falcon fan has grown impatient. With big name free agents flying off the board and second tier free agents raking in the cash, fans are beginning to grow restless as they see the chances of improving the team slip away. Even the Detroit Lions have been actively acquiring talent.

But maybe TD took a look at the recent past of the Falcons and found a better way. I truly believe he has, and it begins with not listening to us.

Let's take a look shall we? I am speaking in general, because they are always people who disagree. And let's not paint it with hindsight. (And you know who you are when I get to Reeves.)

After reaching the playoffs, everyone screamed that we were one wide receiver away from glory. So we lost a first round draft pick and a boat load of cash to sign Peerless Price. This won the press conference, but set the team back.

After a horrible season, there was a ground swell to fire Dan Reeves. (Myself included.) Everyone wanted a younger coach who would have a different game plan for Mike Vick. In the end, he left the team worse off than he found it, and was the first step to the 2007 debacle.

After reaching the NFCCG, we were only a MLB away. We just had to have a run stopper! So we signed Hartwell. A lot of cash, and no production.

Then all we needed was a DE to help Kerney out. There went another chunk of change and first round pick. While Abe is one of the best at his position, he can only stay healthy when he is a situational player.

There are many more you could add to the list. But you get the point.

So maybe, TD is smarter than that? Maybe he is looking at building a team instead of filling holes? Maybe, just maybe, he knows that three 4 million dollar players will help the team more than one 12 million dollar player? Who knows?

I have seen some players get snatched up that I wish we could have gotten. But then again, I was also thrilled when we got Price. GM is a hard and thankless job. Fans always want to make the decision for you, and then claim they thought it was bad idea from the beginning when it goes down hill. So, I am just happy to sit back and let TD do his job. I know he will do it better without me.

If TD just does the opposite of what the MB wants, he will build a dynasty. :lol:

Nice thread.

Thomas has already shown me that he won't listen to the fans or the media when he decided to draft Ryan despite the outcry for Dorsey.

Cutting Crump, Dunn, trading Hall, letting Brooking, Lawyer, Boley, Foxworth and Grady walk are more great moves that media and fans disagreed about.

I like it that he's doing it his way because the Rich McKay way wasn't working. The day he starts to let the fans and media dictate his moves then we'll have a problem.. But I really don't see that happening.

Nice thread.

Thomas has already shown me that he won't listen to the fans or the media when he decided to draft Ryan despite the outcry for Dorsey.

Cutting Crump, Dunn, trading Hall, letting Brooking, Lawyer, Boley, Foxworth and Grady walk are more great moves that media and fans disagreed about.

I like it that he's doing it his way because the Rich McKay way wasn't working. The day he starts to let the fans and media dictate his moves then we'll have a problem.. But I really don't see that happening.

Me neither.

Any guy that win Exec. of the Year doesn't get that by kowtowing to the local media and fans.

Thank you for this shot of logic in a world full of lunatics. I feel like Authur Blank, a fan himself, has been doing exactly what the fans wanted for years and it hasn't gotten us ANYWHERE. So I for one am glad he decided to let football people make the decisions from now on.

The way I see it the team is in better hands than we have ever had. He clearly has a new form of decision making that the fans are unfamiliar with. There will be FA signings, I believe, At good prices. Also building through the draft will add longevity. We have veterans who will step up and be leaders on the team. Good job TD!

Thank you for this shot of logic in a world full of lunatics. I feel like Authur Blank, a fan himself, has been doing exactly what the fans wanted for years and it hasn't gotten us ANYWHERE. So I for one am glad he decided to let football people make the decisions from now on.

I think that is exactly what happened. He should have listened a little more about Dome music and a little less about executive decisions.

On the bright side, I love the fact we have an owner who is passionate about winning, but not crazy like Al Davis.

I have learned my lesson.

-Art