Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

michael garvin

Brian Cushing - 2nd best combine behind Aaron Curry

35 posts in this topic

Finally, some other people who agree Cushing is not better all around..

Ill 2nd that notion.

Im not concerned if Cushing goes early. There is depth we havent seen in a few years at LB.

While guys like Cushing, Laurinaitis, and Maualuga will prob be gone in the 1st there will be plenty of talented guys like C. Brinkley and C. Matthews available in the 2nd.

That's because you believe everything the media tells you. If he were black no one would say a word about steroids, they would just say he is a stud.

Vernon Gholston had rumors of steroid use last pre-draft...and there might be some validity behind those rumors, the guy couldnt crack the lineup as a rookie.

And really, its only because of the pics of him that people are saying 'roids'...he went from nice and flabby to rock hard, with a bunch of injuries in between, including a nasty shoulder injury.

Aaron Curry is 4 times better than Cushing. Clay Matthews is better than Cushing.

I believe Aaron Curry is a once in every 10 years kind of defensive impact player. I would love to see TD do whatever it takes to get him. He would be a Pro Bowl player within 2 years, a smart, solid team leader with flawless physical and character qualities.

He would MAKE our defense respectable and within 2 years................DOMINANT.

My opinion only.

4 times better than Cushing??? I do like Curry better than Cushing because of his big play ability and durability - but they are actually very similar players. However, Matthews better than Cushing? Clay would even admit it thats crazy!! It is a really stupid thing to say because Cushing started for USC his freshman year and Matthews DIDN"T start UNTIL his SENIOR year for USC. Ken Norton (USC's linebacker coach) said Cushing is the best linebacker he ever coached (that include Keith Rivers, Rey Malauga and Lofa Tatupa)

Keyword is SECOND ROUND! You want us to draft a guy who ran a 4.7 in the first round because another team drafted a guy that ran the same thing in the second round? Just because they went to the same school and played the same position doesnt mean that they're gonna play the same. nice try thou.

Obviously what your saying doesn't matter because its extremely evident that Tatupa should have been a top 10 pick??? He would have been the first linebacker taken over both AJ Hawk and Ernie Sims!

He was a probowler his rookie year and 3 straight years including All Pro (top 2 for your position in the NFL) in 2007

Keyword is SECOND ROUND! You want us to draft a guy who ran a 4.7 in the first round because another team drafted a guy that ran the same thing in the second round? Just because they went to the same school and played the same position doesnt mean that they're gonna play the same. nice try thou.
I like Cushing a WHOLE lot, but why trade up when you could probably sit at #24 and get Clay Matthews who beat Cushing in every area except on the bench(Cushing tied for 1st; 30 reps, Matthews; 23 reps) and and 3 cone (Cushing; 1st place, Matthews; 2nd place). These two are so close that it's probably not worth it trading up when the other guy may fall to you. Although, New England may snatch up Matthews right before us.

Matthews was also said to be smoother in space:

Matthews had a better day than Cushing, running a 4.67 40, recording a 10-1 broad jump and notching a vertical jump of 35.5. We were impressed with the way Matthews sank his hips and planted his outside foot when asked to switch directions. He also showed adequate burst coming out of his backpedal and looked more fluid than Cushing when asked to open his hips while backpedaling.

That and coming into the combine, he was already regarded as having the best pass rush moves of all the USC LB'ers.

There's litterally little that separates the two. The one significant area is experience. Matthews played behind River, Cushing and Mauluga and didn't shine until the 2008 season. Even with that he was a USC's 2-time special teams player of the year.

This guy fills EVERY need for a Falcons LB'er.

This is another very very very stupid post!!

Because you did 1/20th of a second better in a few drills so your an equivalent linebacker? Cushing has always been a great linebacker for USC and Matthews was never a good linebacker (started 10 games in 4 years). For you to argue that someone who has barely played FOOTBALL in college but did well in a few drills is now as good of a player as someone who played more than 3 times as many games!

This is another very very very stupid post!!

Because you did 1/20th of a second better in a few drills so your an equivalent linebacker? Cushing has always been a great linebacker for USC and Matthews was never a good linebacker (started 10 games in 4 years). For you to argue that someone who has barely played FOOTBALL in college but did well in a few drills is now as good of a player as someone who played more than 3 times as many games!

Now this is a very very very very stupid post.

First of all I never said they were equivalent, I said "these two are so close....". I acknowledged Cushing was the better LB by stating, "...it's probably not worth it trading up (for Cushing, in the event you didn't understand who I was referring to) when the other guy (for Matthews, in the event you didn't understand who I was referring to) may fall to you."

Secondly, where have you seen anything since the end of the college football season from anyone of note that clearly distinguished Cushing as being a significantly better player than Matthews?

Scouts Inc has Cushing as the 2nd best OLB, Cushing 3rd

Mel Kiper has Cushing as the #2 OLB, Matthews as #4

Mike Mayock has Cushing as the #4, Matthews isn't listed as he's included Orakpo and Maybin in his top 5 along with Curry, Cushing and English

Yahoo has Cushing at the 19th best prospect, Matthews at #24

CBS/NFL Draft Scout has Cushing as 2nd, Matthews as #4

Hence, "these two are so close"

I think they are close, and Matthews will be a good player, but Cushing is better and its pretty much impossible for anyone to argue against that fact. He beat him out 4 years on the best defense in the country. He was the most consistent player on that defense (2nd in tackles) He is the better linebacker. Who cares who was the better combine workout performer (and they were about the same in everything expect the bench press).

And I don't mean to be critical of posts but the hate for Cushing (and all the steroid talk) without concrete evidence is just plain wrong.

Its very rare to compare two players, playing the same position on the same team because naturally the depth chart, starts, stats, etc will give you the answer.

This isn't Stafford vs Sanchez, Maclin vs Crabtree, or Orakpo vs Brown its two players on the same team that played the same position.

I think they are close, and Matthews will be a good player, but Cushing is better and its pretty much impossible for anyone to argue against that fact. He beat him out 4 years on the best defense in the country. He was the most consistent player on that defense (2nd in tackles) He is the better linebacker. Who cares who was the better combine workout performer (and they were about the same in everything expect the bench press).

And I don't mean to be critical of posts but the hate for Cushing (and all the steroid talk) without concrete evidence is just plain wrong.

Its very rare to compare two players, playing the same position on the same team because naturally the depth chart, starts, stats, etc will give you the answer.

This isn't Stafford vs Sanchez, Maclin vs Crabtree, or Orakpo vs Brown its two players on the same team that played the same position.

I think they are close, but Matthews is more versatile and has a bigger upside. Cushing started out as the better player from the second they got to USC, Matthews has closed the gap and to at least one man eclipsed him:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/col...&id=3934418

Outside Linebackers

1. Aaron Curry, Wake Forest

2. Clay Matthews, USC

3. Brian Cushing, USC

4. Larry English, No. Illinois

5. Clint Sintim, Virginia

Say what you want about Kiper, but he gets paid for his professional opinon and we're all making anonymous, relatively uninformed opinions on the internet.

At any rate, we'd probably have to trade up for Cushing, whereas Matthews could be right there at #24. His pops played here, be absolutely sweet for him to suit up in his dad's #57 and help turn the defense around.

It's amazing how the media can hype up a player. The #1 LB really may not be the best player... Nobody mentioned Gerald McGrath from So. Missippi, he ran 4.5 then they changed to 4.61. He did the Broad Jump at 10'3 then Curry did his jump at 10'4... So here is a kid from Conf. USA and is sticking right with the suppose to be best LB in the nation... What does it say for McGrath?

yeah mcrath is actually a junior and won the conference's defensive player of the year as a sophomore.....just like Lofton who won the Big 12 defensive player of the year, he would be a good 2nd round pick.